dizziness when getting up

Options
hello all,
maybe some of you have an answer to this question.
when i get up, not always too fast, i get dizzy, i used to get in my teenage years and then it stoped, but now its back and i wonder what it means, does it have to do with what i eat or dont eat ? or my working out more often and stronger ? i have a feeling it has something to do with my blood pressure, but wonder what its caused by.

i dont normaly get it too bad, there has been cases where i felt on the verge of faiting, vision gone all black numbness at the end of my extremities, but then it goes as fast as it comes. but that hasnt happened for years, lately its just little bit dizzy.

does it happen to anybody else ? more often since you started this lifestyle change ?
i would see my doctor about this but unfortunatly i am not a uk citizen yet and dont have access to medical care.

may

Replies

• may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hello all,
    maybe some of you have an answer to this question.
    when i get up, not always too fast, i get dizzy, i used to get in my teenage years and then it stoped, but now its back and i wonder what it means, does it have to do with what i eat or dont eat ? or my working out more often and stronger ? i have a feeling it has something to do with my blood pressure, but wonder what its caused by.

i dont normaly get it too bad, there has been cases where i felt on the verge of faiting, vision gone all black numbness at the end of my extremities, but then it goes as fast as it comes. but that hasnt happened for years, lately its just little bit dizzy.

does it happen to anybody else ? more often since you started this lifestyle change ?
    i would see my doctor about this but unfortunatly i am not a uk citizen yet and dont have access to medical care.

may
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Try taking some Iron, fellow vegetarian.

Check your BP as well.
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    This happened to a friend of mine, and it was, in fact due to anemia. So I agree with the iron suggestion. Be careful with the iron...it can make you constipated! Drink plenty of water!
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    That happened to me all the time and I was anemic...you gotta be very careful and not just take extra iron unless the Dr. tells you to because TOO much can be very dangerous. Gooood luck!
    Oh and also check the BP for sure!
  • wtchywmn
    wtchywmn Posts: 193
    Options
    I have the same thing. It comes and goes. Once it is gone it usually don't come back for several months to a year. I have been doing this (eating right and exercising) since January '08. For me it just started up again about 3 weeks ago. I don't think my eating has anything to do with it. I have gone to several doctors (ear, nose & throat and also neurologist) had an MRI and they can't find anything wrong. For me this started about 4 years ago and it was quite severe the first day I woke up with it. It lasted about a week (the severe part, then it was milder for about a month). With the first episode just the slightest movement of my head and I would get dizzy. It came back off an on over the years, each episode shorter in duration and less severe.

Now none of this may have anything to do with what your experiencing, but for me I think I found the cause. A friend of mine was going through the same thing and went to a neurologist who told her to cut all artificial sweeteners (diet soda etc.) he said to either use real sugar or Splenda (preferably real sugar). I figured I had nothing to lose because she told me it helped her. Once I followed the advice I stopped having episodes. About 2 years ago I through a party and some of my family drinks diet soda. So I purchased some. A few days later I decided to try the soda (didn't want to waste it) thinking I hadn't had an episode in about a year (maybe that wasn't the cause). Within 3 days it was back.

I have been trying to eat healthy (since January) I gave up all soda. About 3 weeks ago we were out and about for a few days and I had a couple of diet soda's and it came back. So now for sure I am never drinking diet soda again. When I use artificial sweetener I use Splenda and I don't seem to have any issues with that.

Now that is just me. I don't know if you drink artificial soda or not or use artificial sweetener. If you do, you might want to try cutting it out and see if it helps you.

If my friend hadn't told me about it, I would still be lost. Doctors kept telling me they can't find anything wrong. We both went to neurologists, I don't know why mine didn't give me the same advice her Dr. gave her.

If you google artificial sweeteners you can read a lot about it. It is pretty scary.

I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys !
    i've done my little research online and lack of iron totaly makes sense !!
    so tomorow i'll make a trip to the store and buy tons of iron filled food,

i definitly dont take anything artificial sugar of any kind, i rarely eat out, almost no prepackage things and its all organic ,,, but i pretty sure that is not it.

Thanks again !!
    may
  • Beccilynn
    Beccilynn Posts: 177
    Options
    I am anemic , I just take Folic acid supplement :glasses:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Coulld also be dehydration