POLL: Cheat Days

Options
2»

Replies

• kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I'm pretty good at planning for special meals and the treats that I occasionally want. I don't have a sweet tooth so that's really helpful for me.

The only time I really relax is when I go on vacation, but even then while I don't record my food I try to make decent choices. I've cruised and gone to Disney World this year and managed to maintain each week.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I have accidental cheat days (just had one yesterday) but I don't schedule them. And even then my cheat days are pretty much eating my normal foood, just more of it.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days or meals. I don't eat snacks like chips, pretzels, crackers, etc or candy, cookies , ice cream. You get the picture. I have done this for 7 months and am only 9.6 pounds away from my goal weight. I just don't see the need for food like this now. I have 4 kids and a husband that haven't changed the way they eat either and it doesn't bother me to have it around and not eat it. But I guess for some they have to eat some in moderation or it would make them want it more.
  • dcjackson50
    Options
    If you are truly changing your lifestyle....aka eating healthy then there is no need a meal of something here and there that you love but that is higher than most in calories is fine. It should work into your macros for the week. A whole day has undone my progress for the week so I don't do it anymore....lesson learned!!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    So building it into you calories is best I guess?
    I don't know if there is one "correct" answer. I have seen people here who say they eat whatever they want and they still lose, and there are people who gain/get stuck when they eat *one* extra cookie. and there is a whole spectrum in between.

Do what works for you. do you have self control? will one cheat meal/day remain as *one* or will it turn into a whole week/month/year. for me - I am into eating [what i preceive as] healthier foods, so i rarely eat out/junk food/candy anyway. do i never eat that stuff? no, i do every now and then. but i count the calories and make sure i stay within my goals. and i make sure (if i eat junk food /take out) to drink a lot of water. maybe i'll do a little extra exercise.
  • MrsBingley
    Options
    When I started, I had one high intake day a week. I still logged, I just switched my cals from 1 lb loss to maintain.

It was nice to have the one day with extra food - I could definitely fit more in, and I still had a limit that kept me from going backwards.

I lost weight faster than I expected, so now I have 4 days like this a week.
  • GBPack93
    Options
    Like others have said, I don't do cheat days just make the foods I want fit, which is easier when you maintain on over 3K a day, but I didn't use cheat days to drop the weight either. The only thing I consider a "cheat meal" Is something I have no possible way of getting nutrition info for, like non chain restaurants and meals I didn't cook/know the ingredients of.
  • katymartino
    katymartino Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sundays during football season I just don't count my calories. I work out in the morning, and then I eat/drink in moderation, but I don't actually TRACK anything. I guess you could consider those "cheat" days? We tailgate and make tons of food, so I just eat a little bit of everything. I try not to overindulge, but I know I need to just relax and have fun. As long as I still go for my run in the morning I think I'm fine.
    Bottom line I guess is don't call it a "cheat day". That just implies that you are purposely trying to be unhealthy.
  • sloane70
    sloane70 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I just budget everything like money. If I know I'm going out of town and will be having dinner with friends, I load in some extra exercise that morning, and decide if I want to blow my extra earned calories on the garlic bread or a piece of cheesecake or more of my entree. I feel like what I'm looking for is a sustainable way to live, not a loss of weight; if I'm sustaining in a healthy way, and making wiser choices about my food, then my weight will, over time, even out to a healthier number.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hit your calorie goals...hit your macro goals...it doesn't frackin' matter when or where you have a candy bar if you're hitting your calories and macros.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hit your calorie goals...hit your macro goals...it doesn't frackin' matter when or where you have a candy bar if you're hitting your calories and macros.

This. :drinker:
  • WaistAweigh
    Options

This. :drinker:

^^
    I agree!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I once read (here on MFP) that planning for cheat days in a successful weight loss effort makes as much sense as planning to cheat in a successful relationship/marriage. To follow that analogy, every day I attempt to be the best wife I can be. Some days, I accomplish that, other days, not so much. My eating is much the same. Every day I attempt to hit my macros and my caloric requirements. Some days I accomplish that, sometimes not. But I don't plan to cheat by indulging in things not good for my overall weight loss, just like I don't plan to indulge in things that aren't good for my relationship.
  • B_TEEN
    B_TEEN Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have more of cheat "moments/meals". I'd feel awful if my entire day was bad. I may plan for a cheat lunch on Fridays or going out to eat for a meal on the weekends. Otherwise, I try to stay clean....
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal once a week, if I lost weight the previous week. For instance, my official weigh in day is Friday. If I lose for the week, I will have a treat meal on Friday or Saturday night. I eat like normal all day, but I have whatever I want for dinner, including a cocktail, wine or dessert. If I don't lose, then I wait another week. Besides that, if I want something and it fits in my calorie goal I go ahead and eat it. It works for me but I'm able to limit it to one meal and rarely do full day of eating whatever I want, even on vacation.
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If I didn't allow myself to have a treat once in a while, I would never stick to this. I just have to be careful and make sure I stay within my calories and don't do it often. I'm doing fine so far with my weight loss journey.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Do you believe in having cheat days, or just an occasional treat like a candy bar? I get alot of differing opinions on this type of thing.

I do not believe in cheat days or having days where I eat so called 'bad food.' I eat whatever I want , whenever I want ~ watching my calories and macros. No complaints to date. :smile:

ETA: smile
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day once a week. It makes it easier for me to eat cleanly the rest of the week and it allows me to eat the foods I like in moderation. I don't go all out though, I will just eat things I like, frozen yogurt, soft baked pretzels, etc.
  • britgarn
    Options
    I stuck very carefully to the Body for Life program a few years ago and dropped weight like crazy. I took a lot away from that experience and they recommended 6 days of really strictly watching what you eat -- trying to stay away from process carbohydrates, fast food, etc (clean eating basically) -- for 6 days of the week and then on the seventh just go crazy with a cheat day. There are studies that show it's helpful to your metabolism to "confuse" it. Since getting back on the eating healthy/working out steadily band-wagon, I've noticed that cheat days help. I try to limit it to one day out of every 14 . . . but I don't beat myself up if I have one in every seven. You have to do what works best for YOU.