Thanksgiving!!!!

Options
What do you guys do on Thanksgiving? Splurge? Or just resist all of that yummy food? Or eat just a little?

Replies

• sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I eat as much as I want.
  • ThePlight
    ThePlight Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I stay within my limit. Also, eggnog. WANT. NAO.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This will be my 2nd Thanksgiving on MFP.
    I am the cook. Last year I made some healthier dishes, along with the traditional family favorites and stayed within my calories for the day. Plan on doing the same thing this year.
    I also did the local 5K Turkey Trot last year (walked), and am doing it this year as well.
    Worked for me!
  • fitgirlandfoodie
    fitgirlandfoodie Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    this might be a good place to ask..what is a nice side dish to bring to a thanksgiving dinner? I'm Irish and have been invited to a party by my friends American housemate who is studying here for a year. I'd like to bring something reativly traditional. Any ideas appreciated :D
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    It's one day. One day makes no difference. Splurge.
  • queenb39
    queenb39 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Lots of Turkey and veggies maybe a sliver of pie. I have come to far to go back now. Just for one day to me it's not worth it. I am just speaking for myself.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Irishscarlett, candied yams! Mmm :)
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    I can't resist my families sweet potato recipe! Too good! And their pumpkin pie....????????????????????
  • skhuu
    skhuu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Since we eat dinner really early on Thanksgiving, I'll only eat a late breakfast for the day. Then I am planning to splurge and go back to my normal eating habits.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Make any holiday ONLY one day.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    If you're disciplined the rest of the time, then you can enjoy the holiday and splurge. That's sort of the point of holidays.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Normal day here, but we're not going out or having anyone for it, so it's going to be pretty easy. The only thing that might mess up my goal is pie, so it's not a big deal, I'll try and fit a piece in my day (I can totally do without stuffing).
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    My first Thanksgiving on mfp. I figure even if I go nuts and eat 2000 calories over, since I eat at a 500 calorie deficit per day--I'll be even-steven after 4 days.

So I'm going to enjoy the day with my family, and for once not make them watch me weigh food!

Edit: typo
  • blueday617
    blueday617 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a vegetarian, I stick with the veggies and maybe a small slice of pumpkin pie.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    PIE
  • PamShebamm
    Options
    It's one day. Splurge.
  • AlyssasDiet
    Options
    I don't plan on splurging but I don't think I'm going to try to count calories either. I'm just going to get a well rounded plate and don't go back for seconds. When it comes to desert I'll do a 'sampler' plate of like 2 bites worth of every desert. Whatever you do, I think it's good to have a plan ahead of time!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Already registered for a Spin class Thanksgiving morning. After that, it's business as usual!
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's one day. One day makes no difference. Splurge.

I agree with this, as long as we aren't spending form Thanksgiving til New Years indulging in everything in sight, one day of eating extra calories shouldn't cause us to lose focus on what we want to achieve. I'd say a good rule of thumb would be to eat til your are full, keep a close calorie track of your consumption and use the following days to recover. I'm a leftover junky so I am going to have to tell myself that I get one day of pure indulgence then I am going back to making sure I am on or below calorie goal. I think the fact that I am the one who cooks pretty much everything for the meal will help because I can maybe make some healthier versions of things.

but really though, I wouldn't sweat one day.
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    PIE

^^
    This :drinker: