Carbs in food diary...

Loves2love
Loves2love Posts: 13
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello Everyone,

For years I have heard about people watching their carbs. My question is MFP limits me to 219 a day. If I use these up daily, is that a bad thing? Should I also watch my carbs and stay away from things like white bread and use whole wheat instead? One reason I am asking is I had some Spaghetti O's for lunch (Yes, I still love those things) and realized how many of the carbs it uses for the day.

I would love any help,

John

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    I think it's best to switch all your whites(bread,pasta,rice) over to whole grain. For one they have fiber which is good for you !
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Anything in moderation. If you go 200g over everyday, that isn't so good. If you go over one day, but still stay under your calories, I wouldn't be too worried about it. Just make sure you're averaging around the "allowed" carbs. And if you can stay towards complex carbs instead of simple (candy, processed sugars, etc) you will be better off, it takes your body more calories to break down complex carbs than simple.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    Some carbs create a quick reaction by the body (blood sugar levels). The ones that are absorbed quickly (refined flours, sugars, sugary fruits, etc) cause your body to release hormones that affect whether foods are used or stored. From what I've read I've learned that keeping that hormonal reaction limited helps with weight loss. At least it has for me. I read a book called "A Week In The Zone" that explained how your body works so well. It just finally made sense to me. I still sometimes eat refined carbs like rice and bread but try to use whole grain and limit portion size. The main thing I've learned is to balance EACH meal and snack. I don't eat just fruit or just cheese but both together because they limit the glycemic reaction together. I try to have lean protein, fat and carbs at each meal and snack. It works for me.
  • i lowered my carbs in my goal to 30%, MFP had it at about 50% or something like that. not that i really pay attention but when your carbs are coming from veggies, its all good... i try not to eat too much bread or pasta and i don't eat rice... now if only i could stay away from wendy's spicy chicken (patty only) :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Carbs are an important source of energy for your body! I eat about 50% carbs (down from 55% that MFP sets). You might go lower, but unless you talk with a licensed nutrition expert, I wouldn't recommend going too low.

Definitely switch to whole grains. Most processed carbs have very little fiber and a lot of the important nutrition has been taken out of them. Some whole grains, like quinoa, are high in protein and fiber - they're great for you, and so much more fun to eat than white bread. Spaghettio's now and then won't hurt you, but try to avoid processed carbs as much as possible - eat carbs that are as close to their original form as possible (oatmeal, quinoa, yams/sweet potatos, fruits, veggies, etc.)
  • Thank you everyone for your answers. I'm going to do some reading online tonite and make the most of this site and this diet.

Thanks,
    John
This discussion has been closed.