18 year old uni student wants to lose weight!

Options
So I'm an 18 year old female, 5'4" and around 210lbs. I'm looking to get to around 140lb in a year.

I have a few questions to help me get going with my weight loss.

-As a student, how can I find cheap, healthy food?
-What are the best workouts I can do for free? Gyms are way too expensive.
-What little things can I put into my daily routine that can help?

Thanks!

Replies

• zd04
    zd04 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    hey beccagood95,
    I am 21 and also a university student. For workouts you can try jillian micheal 30days shred(you can buy dvds or download torrent for free), go for a walk with friends or also alone it will give you a break and you will feel fresh. I cant suggest you some thing for food coz I dont know abt prices of food in your country but if you need any other help feel free to add me...we can support each other!!
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    hey beccagood95,
    I am 21 and also a university student. For workouts you can try jillian micheal 30days shred(you can buy dvds or download torrent for free), go for a walk with friends or also alone it will give you a break and you will feel fresh. I cant suggest you some thing for food coz I dont know abt prices of food in your country but if you need any other help feel free to add me...we can support each other!!

Don't buy any DVDs. Look at youtube for Jillian Michaels. Fitnessblender and Scooby are free sites with correct exercises.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca,

I'm a third year college student losing weight. We need to know more about you to make food recommendations. Where are you from? Do you have access to a kitchen where you live? Do you have access to a university cafeteria?

Feel free to friend request. Good luck!
  • beccagood95
    beccagood95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Becca,

I'm a third year college student losing weight. We need to know more about you to make food recommendations. Where are you from? Do you have access to a kitchen where you live? Do you have access to a university cafeteria?

Feel free to friend request. Good luck!

I'm from England, and I'm currently sharing a house, so I'm making my own meals in the kitchen. However I try not to take too long with my meals or make too much mess since I'm living with 3 other girls and one of them is a bit of a clean freak.
  • eblakes93
    eblakes93 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Okay. Are you measuring your foods with cups or a food scale?

I don't know what grocery shopping is like in England, but I usually here in the U.S. buying in bulk is cheaper. I suggest buying things like beans, rice, oats, lentils and quinoa in bulk. Here frozen veggies are also cheaper than fresh and are usually just as good. Look for plain ones without sauces.

Make a big pot of rice and beans with some frozen veggies during the weekend, measure out individual portions, and put them in your refrigerator to take for lunch each day.

Buy store or generic brands instead, as they have a tendency to be cheaper.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with eggs in a non-stick pan. Heat a Jamie splodge of olive oil, pour in 2 whisked eggs (140 calories), chuck in half a sliced tomato and/or 2 sliced spring onions and/or a palmful of grated cheese. Cheap, easy, low-cal.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am a uni student, so if you need any idea add me. I usually eat lots of vegs, legumes, fruit and try to avoid eating out (which isn't cheap at all). I carry for with me if needed, especially at university. I exercise at home most of the time, I've got a stationary bike and a step machine (worth the money and you can find cheap ones online), otherwise I just go out for a run.
  • beccagood95
    beccagood95 Posts: 11 Member
    Options

Don't buy any DVDs. Look at youtube for Jillian Michaels. Fitnessblender and Scooby are free sites with correct exercises.

Just tried a Fitnessblender exercise and it was great, thanks! :)
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Watch this 5 to 6 part series by Eric Helms. All the info you need from a credible source without quackery and scams. Take notes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAvW6xBZjSk&list=PLec4qvyckuk0XuRmKghO2wlS6_ohr7ORr

Also; don't be turned off that he is a male BB coach; he gets people into shape and coaches females and males. Also; Lyle Mcdonald, Alan Aragon, Casey Butts, and Martin Berkhan are people to look up as well. As well as cheap food in UK; ask Jason Blaha over at JuggernautFitness on youtube. I'm Murican so I don't know how it works over there.

BTW; do some kind of resistance training; start with basic bodyweight, walking, maybe jogging/running and then improvise from there; your body does not care where your resistance comes from. You could do gas can (full of water) lunges up a steep hill, run stairs, squat jumps, pistol squats, lunges, etc for legs; you want maximal intensity for 15-30sec or about 5-15 reps per set basically. Do pushups, dips, sit ups, planks, bicycles, inverted rows and chin up negatives (scooby has a neat video) for upper body weight. Resistance training is vital for muscle mass retention and maintain metabolic rate due to the former (as muscle burns more calories), do a full body 3 DAW with 3-5x5-15 with exercises aforementioned. Do some walking or jogging on the days between. Once you can run 2 miles in 18min, 20 pushups, 5 real chinups, 25 Situps; then you can move on to more intermediate level calisthenics and cardio techniques. Calorie deficit, macros, micros, exercise, adherence; all you need.
  • manders376
    manders376 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi!

Sharing a kitchen can be a pain but can be done. When you buy healthy foods (chicken, fish, veggies, fruit) right when you get home divide them up into serving size portions and freeze them (or just in the fridge for veggies/fruit).

I find I am much more likely to take a healthy lunch if it is easy to just grab a bag of pre-cut veggies, make a sandwich, throw in a yogurt, you get the idea.

Eggs are great too, as someone already mentioned, and pretty inexpensive.

I do all this measuring and shopping on the weekends when I have more time and then am less likely to eat out during the week.

Good luck!
  • WaistAweigh
    Options
    Oh hey girl! Lol I'm about the exact same height and weight as you! And in 18 years old and about to start Univ in January. I have the same questions lol.
  • anastasiakenyon
    Options
    to be honest, the insanity dvd is incredible, you need to be fit before hand, so maybe try the shred and move onto insanity!
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Random POOMA Beginner Calisthenics routine.
    Reverse Lunges with some kind of weight 5x5-15 (add 5-10lbs when you get to 5x15)
    Pushups 4x5-15 (when you can do 4x15 pushups with good form; then move to dips)
    negative chinups (slow negatives) 3x5-15 (when you hit 3x15; do full on chinups)
    2x5-15 Inverted rows
    4x5-20 Situps

Although... A squat rack with barbells is incredibly useful, but oh well. There's a playground in the vicinity I hope. Walk there and back for warmup/cooldown
  • crlyxx
    crlyxx Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm also a uni student. For cheap yet healthy food I would recommend eggs and rolled oats. A good portion of my diet centers around those 2 things. Just be sure to add some fruits/vegetables in there too.
  • adhouskat
    Options
    Hi, I am also a college student! I am twenty years old and want to lose 40-60 lbs. I am a nursing student and I won't graduate until next year. I just started this program today and hope to be pretty active on the site. Feel free to add me, I would love some friends :)
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student too :) I suggest you buy raw veggies and fruits for snacking they're not that expensive and try workout videos such as 30 day shred like the one poster said. Also, if you can walk to your destination, just walk instead of driving :)