Question for Guys and Gals, serious lifters--Weekly routine

Options
Back in the day, 20 years ago, an awesome trainer built a routine for me that led to a gain of 35 pounds lean muscle tissue. Bottom line is each muscle group (chest/back/bis'etc) got hit twice a week.

Now I'm 45, getting close to finishing a major cut, and starting to think about my bulk cycle. I'm looking at routines on BB.com and here on mfp, and it seems like a lot of people these days will hit each major muscle group just once per week. (e.g. Day 1 chest, Day 2 legs, Day 3 rest, Day 4 back etc.)

I'm reluctant to do it different from how I did 20 years ago, since it worked for me then. But it seems like a lot of people are seeing success hitting each group just once per week.

What is your thinking on this? Is there any peer-reviewed science that has looked at the question?

Thanks gang!

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You need to know what your recovery time is. You aren't 25 any more, your recovery time is likely longer. Are you currently lifting at all or are you going back to the gym for the 1st time in 20 years?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    You need to know what your recovery time is. You aren't 25 any more, your recovery time is likely longer. Are you currently lifting at all or are you going back to the gym for the 1st time in 20 years?

This is a great point. In comparison, your recovery time is going to be ****.

My routine focuses on 4 lifts, (bench, dead, squat and OHP) and I have an event day for strongman events.
    I like to go straight forward and focus on a lift a day. Some of my training partners have different views. They will do bench on Monday, Tuesday will be dead OR squat, alternating each week. With this will go rows, pulldowns, hammstring work. Thursday will be a push press, with front squats and some tricep work .
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, 20 years ago, an awesome trainer built a routine for me that led to a gain of 35 pounds lean muscle tissue. Bottom line is each muscle group (chest/back/bis'etc) got hit twice a week.

Now I'm 45, getting close to finishing a major cut, and starting to think about my bulk cycle. I'm looking at routines on BB.com and here on mfp, and it seems like a lot of people these days will hit each major muscle group just once per week. (e.g. Day 1 chest, Day 2 legs, Day 3 rest, Day 4 back etc.)

I'm reluctant to do it different from how I did 20 years ago, since it worked for me then. But it seems like a lot of people are seeing success hitting each group just once per week.

What is your thinking on this? Is there any peer-reviewed science that has looked at the question?

Thanks gang!

The Day 1 chest, Day 2 legs, etc above is still twice every seven days in repeat cycle.
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    double post deleted
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If it worked years ago, I'd try it again and adjust as necessary for recovery. It may need to be adjusted but start with the old plan as a solid base. I don't see any point in reinventing the wheel. Just adjust the air pressure :)
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I follow a plan that was designed to get people in shape for fitness competitions. It's a 6 day/week plan, only abs get hit twice.

Monday - Chest, Shoulders
    Tuesday - Cardio, Abs
    Wednesday - Back, Traps
    Thursday - Cardio, Abs
    Friday - Legs
    Saturday - Biceps, Triceps
    Sunday - Rest Day
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I do a full body workout with compound movements 2 - 3 times per week. Five sets of five of squats, dead lifts, bench press, barbell rows and standing military press. My whole workout is done at the power rack. This workout wipes me out and it takes 48 to 72 hours for me to recover. It is working very well for me.

You should also look at Mass Made Simple by Dan John. I found a few gems in it that have really helped me improve.
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Sorry for being slow to respond, got unexpectedly tied up on a work phone call.

I've been lifting on & off the past 20 years, mostly on. I discovered mfp in April, so to coincide with my cut I've been doing more of a toning regimen (3x15 for everything) since April so I'd be in better shape to bulk in January-February.

The theories have definitely changed in 20 years! Back then it was all about isolation, and trainers openly mocked much of what is now recommended.

I guess the crux of my question: back in the day, the mantra was to hit each muscle group twice a week. But now a lot of plans I see on BB.com have just one day for chest per week, one for shoulders per week, etc. example: http://tinyurl.com/pgd2o6e

Can you actually bulk hitting your chest just once a week, your shoulders just once per week, etc.?
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If it worked years ago, I'd try it again and adjust as necessary for recovery. It may need to be adjusted but start with the old plan as a solid base. I don't see any point in reinventing the wheel. Just adjust the air pressure :)

You and danimalkeys are hitting exactly on what led to my question. The old plan has been working great for toning, but won't work for bulk. What's killing me is (1) recovery time, and (2) my shoulder only lets me do so much from a motorcycle accident back in the day.

I'm figuring it won't be realistic/possible to do chest twice a week, so I've been adjusting the air pressure. But now I'm wondering if after 20 years I should look at new wheels... if I only need to do shoulder once/wk, back once/wk, chest once/wk, etc. it would open up a lot of options...
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options

You and danimalkeys are hitting exactly on what led to my question. The old plan has been working great for toning, but won't work for bulk. What's killing me is (1) recovery time, and (2) my shoulder only lets me do so much from a motorcycle accident back in the day.

I'm figuring it won't be realistic/possible to do chest twice a week, so I've been adjusting the air pressure. But now I'm wondering if after 20 years I should look at new wheels... if I only need to do shoulder once/wk, back once/wk, chest once/wk, etc. it would open up a lot of options...

Run with it for a few months and see how it goes.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and I like wendlers 5/3/1 because it's once a week. I tried twice or even 3x / week and that worked ok when I started but stalled after my initial newbie gains. I knew it was time to switch when I stopped progressing. I really like 5/3/1 because it's dead simple and it works.