Drunken eating?

Options
So in just over 3 months I'm 39lbs down and half way to my goal. I've realised that this is a lifestyle change and not a quick fix so I'm gradually introducing nights out with friends into routine. I manage to stick to low cal drinks but as soon as the nights over I end up craving and giving into fast food before heading home. Does anybody else have the same problem or any way to overcome this? I just can't seem to help myself once I'm tipsy :(. The guilt I feel the next day is unbelieveable.

Replies

• alanastar3
    Options
    Posted this in the wrong section :( sorry guys!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    of course, happens to us all/
    WILLPOWER!!!, get some.
    go whoop it up, but know what to eat after.
    and go work it off.
  • drenergy
    drenergy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Booze munchies!

Well, you could do something like only go out for a drink if you have worked out that day, and then make sure you have some really easy food at home that's not as bad for you. Or have a meal idea set before you head home. I realized the other day that a Whopper Jr with no mayo is really not that bad. Otherwise, drink less so that you feel more in control of your cravings. I LOVE craft beer, but I have had to limit myself to two beers even when I 'go out' because they have a lot of calories. It makes me drink slower and enjoy the ones I'm having, and then drink water. And hold way less water the next couple days.

You can do it!
  • alanastar3
    Options
    As soon as the drinks are flowing all the willpower seems to go out the window lol

I think your right, from now on if I'm going out I think I'll have to prepare a snack for coming home before I go out and just look forward to that :)

Thanks guys, i just the feeling I've let myself down but I'm glad I'm not the only one this happens to :)
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    um yeah, ate an entire queso at Applebee's last night after having 4 drinks. BUT it was my "once I get under 200 lbs I'm gonna have cheese dip" reward lol
  • Maxibris
    Maxibris Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Definitely not the only one this happens to! Sometimes it helps to remember that you don't HAVE to drink to be a part of the party.

There are some nights where I just have club soda with a lime wedge in it. It looks like a drink so no one bothers you and tries to offer you a drink. You can just say: "Oh I've already got one thanks". On those nights I definitely stay more hydrated and don't crave late night junk.

Hope this helps? A little?
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    You could anticipate those extra calories by working out more before going out so you won't feel as guilty. It'd be easy to say just don't do it but stuff happens..
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've done that a couple of times since I started losing weight, but usually I make sure to eat something better for me before I go out so I won't feel hungry later.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    On the downside, well yes - alcohol has a tendency to lower inhibition universally, and it'll go into your eating patterns too.
    On the upside, bodies don't know a 24 hour clock. If you go over by 1000 calories in one night, you can cut 166 calories per day (by eating less or more workouts) for the next six days and still end up even.

tl;dr: No big deal, it can be adjusted for.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    not alone at all. i generally try to plan nights out a bit in that i will try to exercise a bit more before one and i will generally try to cut way back through the day so that the night out and the drunken munchies dont impact as much. That said an occasional overindulgence isnt going to make or break you and this is only what i do... really in the grand scheme of things it probably only makes me feel better than actually helping lol
  • Nonya81
    Nonya81 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I dont drink or go out much at all anymore but when I did, I would workout then eat before I left. Also, you can try putting some snacks in your purse for later incase you get the munchies.
  • alanastar3
    Options
    Thanks everybody

So glad I wrote this post, I feel so much better and have a few good ideas for the next time I go out :)
  • shutyourpieholeandsquat
    Options
    Well it's all good and great to say "eat something before you go" but we all know that it's not about being HUNGRY sometimes when you're half drunk... sometimes it's just "OMG I WANT SOME CHEESEDIP AND I DON'T KNOW WHY OTHER THAN I WANT CHEESEDIP"
    :laugh:
  • sonytomtp
    sonytomtp Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I found that saving something good at home to look forward to helped me resist getting a take-away before heading home.
    It also helped me to think about how much of a waste of money it would be when choosing what to get, but maybe I'm just tight with money. :P
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    In order to not binge eat when I drink....I just have to not drink. Can't really have willpower to resist food when you don't even have the manual dexterity to drive a car.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Ugh this is the hardest part about cutting cals for me. What I now do is bank calories for the week, that is say your calories are supposed to be 1600, reduce to 1500, for 7 days, so you don't have to worry so much, that should be more than enough for drinks. For the food thing I usually build it in, I always know what I'm drinking, and then have a slightly leaner day/ work out more so I can have drunken munchies as my dinner lol.

What I will say is that make sure you have lined your stomach before drinking though.

All you need to do is plan properly really.
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this too. Normally I order something and only take a few bites and bring the rest home (my husband the eats it). He gets upset with me and say You always do that!. I don't eat a few bites because I'm trying to lose weight, I probably wasn't hungry to begin with :) Banking calories...I like that idea.

Mary Ann
  • Shandril
    Options
    happens to me all the time ... good post!
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    I will only eat Shrimp Cocktail or raw veggies. It's to easy to make bad choices. I leave calories in case...
  • LittleRaeJay1
    Options
    In order to not binge eat when I drink....I just have to not drink. Can't really have willpower to resist food when you don't even have the manual dexterity to drive a car.

^ me, right there. The only drink that doesn't make me crave food is cider (probably because of how filling/gassy it is). I find it very hard to resist, I have zero willpower.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!