Home workouts > Gym

Options
2»

Replies

• MrBelieve404
    Options
    The greatest thing I ever learned from my Grandfather was the art of IDAF. Think of how little you care about what other people are doing at the gym and you will soon realize that most people keep to themselves and probably don't even take a second glance at you. Even if someone is judging you, WHO CARES! Clearly they are the insecure one in that situation. Like someone said, you are there for yourself and yourself only.
  • jpace00
    Options
    I agree. I don't like the gym environment. I also find it easier to motivate myself at home. It only takes a moment of motivation to change and start a workout but going to the gym is such a chore for me.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    most guys offering advice to women think you're attractive.... so, although it annoyed you, he probably just didnt know any other way to open the conversation... Were pigs, remember? We don't generally help women unless we have anterior motives that involve getting their clothes off. Its pretty much cliche to "find" a chick who lifts, so, you're a target.

Anyhow, that stuff happens in most gyms. Put in your headphones and tune out everyone. At least had had the balls to come up to you instead of just creepily getting a spot behind you in a spin class and staring at your *kitten* on all the climbs.

Well, thats what you get. Creepy or annoying or both. The world doesn;t revolve around you and you dont need to listen to their advice. Shrug em off like hobos asking for change. Slam the proverbial door in their face like they're Jehovah's Witnesses. Deal with it.

You shouldn't let this stop you from lifting. I hope you go back and find ways to avoid annoying crap that happens at the gym..

good luck
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    Ya I agree. I feel like there is sometimes too much comipition at the gym and people judging each other based on what they look like or what they are doing. Plus, when your at home you can look at stupid as you want and make what ever odd noises you wish! :D

I got tired of the comipition so I got a power rack and work out at home now too.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I will work out where ever whenever...I just don't like the gym fees. I pay taxes...pays for the pavement I run on....bought lifting equipment, one time charge for hundreds of workouts!
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The greatest thing I ever learned from my Grandfather was the art of IDAF. Think of how little you care about what other people are doing at the gym and you will soon realize that most people keep to themselves and probably don't even take a second glance at you. Even if someone is judging you, WHO CARES! Clearly they are the insecure one in that situation. Like someone said, you are there for yourself and yourself only.

That is true! i also agree that we're doing it for ourselves :) But my insecurity gets in the way so I'd rather do the work privately :( haha but you both have a good point <3
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    I will work out where ever whenever...I just don't like the gym fees. I pay taxes...pays for the pavement I run on....bought lifting equipment, one time charge for hundreds of workouts!

Gyms are quite expensive too! Haha
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    any work out you do is a good one.

I just prefer the gym. I like the social aspect of it- it's my home away from home. It's my space that's everyone's space- i dunno. I hate working out at home- I can do it- quiet efficiently actually- but I don't like to- not at all.

I'd just sit on the interwebz all day and not actually workout- it's easier for me to get off my duff and go to the gym ACTUALLY.

I guess most people enjoy doing workouts with other people that's why they go to the gym :)
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    most guys offering advice to women think you're attractive.... so, although it annoyed you, he probably just didnt know any other way to open the conversation... Were pigs, remember? We don't generally help women unless we have anterior motives that involve getting their clothes off. Its pretty much cliche to "find" a chick who lifts, so, you're a target.

Anyhow, that stuff happens in most gyms. Put in your headphones and tune out everyone. At least had had the balls to come up to you instead of just creepily getting a spot behind you in a spin class and staring at your *kitten* on all the climbs.

Well, thats what you get. Creepy or annoying or both. The world doesn;t revolve around you and you dont need to listen to their advice. Shrug em off like hobos asking for change. Slam the proverbial door in their face like they're Jehovah's Witnesses. Deal with it.

You shouldn't let this stop you from lifting. I hope you go back and find ways to avoid annoying crap that happens at the gym..

good luck

You got me at the Jehovah's Witnesses HAHAHAHHAHAHA :))) anyway, I might go back but only for the spinning class because I really enjoy it lol mostly girls are taking it anyways lol. I got weights for myself so I wouldn't have to go to the gym for them because I'm not comfortable working out with other people. I guess it's just me haha I'm so weird. Anyway thank you for your insight!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would hope you are not judging all gyms by this experience. I work at a gym and I am there a lot either working or working out. I don't see this kind of behavior. And if it does my guess is it's very random. Sorry that happened to you.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    I would hope you are not judging all gyms by this experience. I work at a gym and I am there a lot either working or working out. I don't see this kind of behavior. And if it does my guess is it's very random. Sorry that happened to you.

NOT JUDGING JUST SHARING :) i wanna make it clear to everyone lol that's why I said I have only been to the gym once because I dont wanna generalize :)
  • lauraspberry
    Options

NOT JUDGING JUST SHARING :) i wanna make it clear to everyone lol that's why I said I have only been to the gym once because I dont wanna generalize :) I'm not that narrow minded to say that every gym experience is like mine. I was just wondering if it happens to everyone to, i personally find home workouts more effective for me because I love the privacy :) but different stuff work for different people so I guess as longa s it's working it's all good :D
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    At home:

Cons:

ceiling is too low for overhead presses
    feels a bit claustrophobic
    my bench is too narrow for bench press
    my power rack isnt as nice
    limited equipment (no kettlebells, minimal dumbbells, no dips setup, no machines fro accessory work, no cables for cable crunches, no back extensions)
    lower quality treadmill
    no eye candy

Pros:
    I can wear whatever I want
    No travel time
    Blast my music
    No people to bother me
    No reracking weights fro other people
    No need to lock stuff up
    I can use chalk
    I can drop weights
    I can multitask between sets
    No waiting fro equipment
    No reracking other peoples weights

As you can see, I'm on the fence. I still go to the gym and workout at home. The gym has plenty of equipment which I like using. It would cost me thousands to buy everything I use on a regular basis and I barely even use machines. A power rack and weights and a bar are great, but, they aren't the same as a well equipped gym.
  • lauraspberry
    Options
    At home:

Cons:

ceiling is too low for overhead presses
    feels a bit claustrophobic
    my bench is too narrow for bench press
    my power rack isnt as nice
    limited equipment (no kettlebells, minimal dumbbells, no dips setup, no machines fro accessory work, no cables for cable crunches, no back extensions)
    lower quality treadmill
    no eye candy

Pros:
    I can wear whatever I want
    No travel time
    Blast my music
    No people to bother me
    No reracking weights fro other people
    No need to lock stuff up
    I can use chalk
    I can drop weights
    I can multitask between sets
    No waiting fro equipment
    No reracking other peoples weights

As you can see, I'm on the fence. I still go to the gym and workout at home. The gym has plenty of equipment which I like using. It would cost me thousands to buy everything I use on a regular basis and I barely even use machines. A power rack and weights and a bar are great, but, they aren't the same as a well equipped gym.

True but cant do much lifting since I get patellofemoral syndrome every now and then due to an injury from hiking a few years ago. I get physical therapy every other year or so and I dont wanna worsen it, so it's not really necessary for me :) but I do get what you're saying especially about the treadmills haha