Wearable tech..what ya got 'an what ya think

Options

Replies

• EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit Link....I love it! The best (different) feature is that it tracks sleep efficiency, which I have a problem with. I can see the days that I don't lose and feel SLUG-LIKE are the days where I don't get good sleep. I have it linked to MFP and love the ease. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!
  • LoupGarou63
    LoupGarou63 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sloane... is the jawbone the one with the vibrate wakeup alarm or is that the fitbit.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Laura3bb....I think there's a new fitbit on the way...the fitbit force not so?
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    EMTF I will check that one out...
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Just out to everyone.....

What smartphone do you use if you ain't already said.?

Anyone tried to link endomundo and mfp in android and had problems or success.
  • McCall89
    McCall89 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started with the Fit Bit one last year (was looking at the flex but read a few reviews that said the One was more accurate with step counting). It was great to see a visible representation of my steps and calories burned and I found it really motivating when I was first starting out. Unfortunately it ended up in the washing machine and I couldn't get it back on. Fit Bit have an amazing customer service and replaced it free of charge for me within a week! Sadly I lost the replacement while out in town due to the clip breaking...

I've just replaced it with a Ki Fit last week and I absolutely love it! I have the accompanying display clip and watch strap so can see my daily stats on the go without having to sync it to my computer. There is a monthly subscription for it, but I find the stats very accurate, it feels more secure than my old Fit Bit, I get messages alerting me to when I've hit my daily goals for steps, calories and activity (which are customizable) and I can wear it 23 hours a day. It's quite an expensive bit of kit, but a good investment for long term weight loss and maintenance :smile:
  • cosmonew
    cosmonew Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I started out with a fitbit one. I liked it because it told me the steps, calories, miles etc... by day they also have an amazing website for friend based support. then I sweat to much and it broke.
    I got the nike fuelband, it is cool, you wear it on your wrist... it looks like a police tracking device though... I didn't worry about losing it. now it doesn't hold its charge.
    I have moved to the TOMTOM gps watch. It is cool, tells me miles, average pace and total time, it also has a ghost race feature against yourself and history or predetermined times. It is for runners.

You need to think about what you want the fitness band for... is it to track activity, then fitbit or nike fuel are good but you could just use a app, though you would have to carry your cell phone around with you. I also found that the apps I used didn't seem accurate with my samsung galaxy s4 active and it is a big phone to lug around while doing fitness.
    if you work out on a treadmill or eliptical make sure the item you are using is capable of tracking distance while "standing still" as you are on a rotating belt.
    Good luck in your search.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    McCall....sounds interesting...ki fit got ya...
  • Marymoe138
    Marymoe138 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT4. It keeps accurate readings for my purposes. It will beep to let you know if you are within your "zone". It provides the average heart rate and your maximum during the workout. I cannot link it to my Android as far as I know.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Cosmonew.....I currently use 2 phones...one smart....you know I don't know...all of the above crazy I know.
  • Shagios
    Shagios Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Picked up a Fitbit Force last week and I'm loving it. I have it linked to MFP and since I'm completely Apple based it syncs up with all my gadgets. It is keeping me honest with myself. I do laborious work (I make construction and highway signs) so I thought I was getting in enough exercise in a day without doing anything additional. Wrong!
    If I had my way there would be some additional monitors on it like a HRM and an electrical zap if I even think about a Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate :-) But honestly it's a great little gadget.
    This one has the vibrating alarm clock and sleep monitor and that is an awesome addition!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Laura.....I am impressed with the accuracy. .
    I have tried many times to link endomundo to mfp and it just don't wanna work for me...any tips would be cool.

Have you checked your sharing settings in the Endomondo app? Originally my workouts weren't showing up on MFP and it's because I didn't have it set up the right way in the app itself. I have the iPhone 4 though & it sounds like you have Android.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Mary I got a feeling Polar will step up to the plate soon... I mean they have to. Companies will go under if they don't move...

After all you don't want your quarterback bein' sacked.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    I have tried many times to link endomundo to mfp and it just don't wanna work for me...any tips would be cool.

Have you checked your sharing settings in the Endomondo app? Originally my workouts weren't showing up on MFP and it's because I didn't have it set up the right way in the app itself. I have the iPhone 4 though & it sounds like you have Android.
  • LoupGarou63
    Options

Yes I currently have a samsung s3 running android 4.1 I will root around again and report back tomorrow.
    I got one eye on the Texan game....it's gone midnight... I gotta go to bed...
  • LoupGarou63
    Options
    Picked up a Fitbit Force last week and I'm loving it. I have it linked to MFP and since I'm completely Apple based it syncs up with all my gadgets. It is keeping me honest with myself. I do laborious work (I make construction and highway signs) so I thought I was getting in enough exercise in a day without doing anything additional. Wrong!
    If I had my way there would be some additional monitors on it like a HRM and an electrical zap if I even think about a Dunkin Donuts hot chocolate :-) But honestly it's a great little gadget.
    This one has the vibrating alarm clock and sleep monitor and that is an awesome addition!
    Yeah I don't think the force is out in the UK yet. I love the idea of the vibrate alarm.
    I'm with you on the zap. LOL.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex that I've used for months and love. I started with the fitbit One but found I would forget to move it to my workout clothes which completely defeated the purpose. I gave it to my daughter who promptly washed it. i decided on the Flex because you can wear it nonstop even in the shower. I take it off once a week to charge it. I find it really motivating even if i dont always reach my goals. It has the vibrating alarm also.

If you decide to take a look at the new Force, keep in mind it isn't waterproof!
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Mary I got a feeling Polar will step up to the plate soon... I mean they have to. Companies will go under if they don't move...

After all you don't want your quarterback bein' sacked.

Polar tried with the newly released Polar Loop (activity tracker) and IMO they released it too early. It is having tons of problems in Beta and they should have postponed the release. I think it has potential, but with the way it is now I don't think it is worth it. My Polar FT7 (HRM only) works just fine.

I just ordered the LINK Bodymedia Fit. I am super excited to get it! :D It has been out for awhile and seems to be pretty accurate. It does not use only motion to track activity like most of the other trackers out there. The thing holding me back from the BMF was the subscription fee and waiting to see what the Polar Loop would be like. I'm over both of those factors lol.

I have an iPhone 5.

Note: I will continue to utilize my Polar HRM along with my BMF. I LOVE my Polar HRM and so far it has been the best money I have spent on my health. Highly recommended.
  • sherm98
    sherm98 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have been using the upband for about three months. I wasn't very active (although I didn't realize it) and it motivates me to get 10,000 steps a day. My record is 17,000. I use the sleep monitoring and alarm. It holds a charge for 10 days and is non invasive so I wear it everyday. Never take it off except to charge. I have not had the problems I have seen others complain about. I have an iPhone 5.
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit one about a year ago and love it. It keeps me motivated most days to hit 10000 steps. I've got a windows 8 phone that I have the fitbit app, mfp app and runtastic app installed on it. I use the mfp app on my phone way more than accessing from my computer. I find adding food way easier on my phone. I've created many recipes on it also and although it seems a bit buggy its still faster imo. There was a recent update to the fitbit app that displays notifications on my phone which is pretty helpful and I have my fitbit synced to mfp to calculate calories burned. I use the runtastic app purely for tracking time walked.