Sci-fi books

Options

Replies

• wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Strongly recommend Feed by MT Anderson.

http://www.amazon.com/Feed-M-T-Anderson/dp/0763662623

The title refers to the chip that is now standardly implanted in everyone's head which basically provides the Internet on steroids directly wired into the mind. Great book club fodder. Well written and entertaining too.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    bump so I can check these out
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I loved the DragonRiders of Pern series that someone else mentioned. Wool is good. A couple others I read recently that I really liked and/or thought had many points to ponder for a book club type setting would be

Partials
    Across The Universe
    Human .4
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Snow Crash is my favourite book ever so there is my vote :) Ender's Game is good, Speaker for the Dead is even better. Timeline is a good suggestion as well. William Gibson's Neuromancer is a classic (IMO anyway lol).
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!!! I will have to look these all up and choose a few for the group to vote on. AWESOME!
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading WOOL by Hugh Howey and really enjoyed it

Freaking amazing. Have you read any of the fan fiction that goes with it? I think there may be more of that then there is the original story by Hugh.

I've started reading SHIFT now and then DUST will be out soon so I'll have to have a look out for the fan fiction after those.

Dust is already out. I read it on Kindle. Did not disappoint. :drinker:
  • HaggisWhisperer
    HaggisWhisperer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Darwin's Radio by Greg Bear was great. You can't really go wrong with a Greg Bear novel.

I second Darwin's Radio as a good choice for a book club. Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress also has some really interesting ideas in it. Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler is another favourite of mine (this is actually a trilogy of fairly short books but I don't think you can get them separately any more).
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Damn, I forgot, one of my coworkers wrote a book "Nanomagica" by Norm LaFave, he's one of the physics teachers at my High School, and it is a really fun read. Everybody at the school is bugging him about when the second book is getting published!
  • GunboatDiplomat
    Options
    Player of Games by Iain M. Banks or Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan.
  • tanashai
    tanashai Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Game of Universe by Eric S. Nylund is really good, if you can find enough copies (it's older).

Century Rain by Alastair Reynolds is incredibly thought-provoking and really fun, though a bit long

To Say Nothing of the Dog OR Passage by Connie Willis; Time travel in To Say Nothing and Near Death Experiences in Passage; very interesting stuff
  • mrsduke2924
    mrsduke2924 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading WOOL by Hugh Howey and really enjoyed it

Freaking amazing. Have you read any of the fan fiction that goes with it? I think there may be more of that then there is the original story by Hugh.

I've started reading SHIFT now and then DUST will be out soon so I'll have to have a look out for the fan fiction after those.

Dust is already out. I read it on Kindle. Did not disappoint. :drinker:

I second this - read the whole trilogy on holiday this year and I literally devoured it! Awesome trilogy - a bit sci fi, but mainly a great insight into human emotion and the paths we could take. I had it on kindle, too. Similar feel about the Hunger Games - I enjoyed the film, but loved the books. Probably enough drama and realism there to quell any nerves of the non sci-fi goers lol

Also liked his dark materials, philip pullman.

Enjoy :)
  • Excepticon
    Excepticon Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I second "The Handmaid's Tale" - it's my favorite Atwood novel.

I read through the other posts briefly and didn't see (to my surprise and/or negligence!) .... H.P. Lovecraft! and Arthur C. Clarke! (Probably negligence - I skimmed through the posts quickly.)

I've always loved Clarke's short stories, and The Nine Billion Names of God is my absolute favorite ever. You can find it in basically any Clarke compilation.

Lovecraft... what can I say? He's more horror than sci-fi, but it's like... if the movie Event Horizon had a lovechild with a book and went on an acid trip to a World of Warcraft land... ish. It's interesting to say the least, and his ability to develop complex characters with amazingly weird backgrounds is outstanding.

Cheers to a good book, and enjoy your book club!
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I second Darwin's Radio as a good choice for a book club. Beggars in Spain by Nancy Kress also has some really interesting ideas in it. Lilith's Brood by Octavia Butler is another favourite of mine (this is actually a trilogy of fairly short books but I don't think you can get them separately any more).

Awesome! I read "Beggars in Spain" when it was a short in Issac Asimov Magazine...then the book when it came out...def second it as well. "The peas and I do not have a mutually beneficial arrangement, dad, so I don't have to eat them." (severally paraphrased)
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Neuromancer is a good one. I read the Wind Up Girl recently as well-- that was good.
  • pauldix
    pauldix Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ian M Banks beats all-comers in my book. Sadly he passed away this year but left the magnificent 'Culture' series behind.

These are substantial novels, funny, highly thought provoking, very ambitious. Unmissable.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is a classic.

You could look into The Dresden Files.

More fantasy than Sci-fi about a modern day wizard working as private investigator.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,698 Member
    Options
    My god, it's censored someone's last name.
    Philip K. Duck, but replace the 'u' with an 'i'.
    Do androids dream of electric sheep, by Phillip K. D i c k
  • valandario
    valandario Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for, you said sci-fi but your examples were fantasy and many of the suggestions from others have been fantasy. Is that what you meant?
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game"
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Lots of non sci-fi in this thread.

DUNE.
    Hyperion
    and too much to choose from by Isaac Asimov

Really though, Dune just can't be beaten.