A Man Walks Down A Street And Falls Into A Hole

Options
A man walks down a street in his town and falls into a big hole right in the middle of the road. Injured, he climbs out and goes on his way.

The next day, he walks down the street again, and falls into the big hole again. Angry and frustrated, he climbs out and goes his way.

The third day, he decides to walk around the hole and goes on his way.

The fourth day, he walks down another street.

Our lives are a bit like this, aren't they? Especially when it comes to our weight loss journeys. We do the same things over and over again which cause us to fall into "holes" and get "injured" (gain weight, etc.).

What are some roads you have gone down (or keep traveling down) that have big holes in them that you fall into?
How/when did you decide to walk down another street and what did that look like?
Have you stayed off the street since then? Or have you revisited your hole?

For example, before I learned to manage my compulsive overeating, I used to go to a cupcake shop in a nearby town every Saturday, buy four large cupcakes (usually red velvet w/cream cheese frosting if they had them), drive to a local park where no one would see me, and wolf all four of them down in the car. I would wake up on Saturday morning and say, "I really shouldn't eat those cupcakes today, I gained three lbs last week". But then somehow I would find myself driving close to that town to do "errands" that could have been done in another town. I would try and try to resist but I would eventually end up at that shop and in the car with those cupcakes.

Eventually, I decided to give up baked goods altogether. Once the cravings had passed, I realized how much self control I actually had. I never ate cupcakes, nor any other baked good again. It's been almost two years.

That was my hole and the abstinence from sweets is my new street. How about you?

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Reading that has made me really really really want to eat some cupcakes now.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In my case, I don't avoid the hole or travel to get around it. It is part of my everyday life, I climb down carefully and don't get hurt anymore. :laugh: I have ice cream everyday, as well as all the other foods I love and still lose weight.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    The hole I end up falling in to is I stop weighing myself once a week and allow my eating habits to slip. Then I don't realize that I'm gaining weight until my pants start fitting tightly at which point I have to crawl back out of the hole and dust myself off and lose the weight again. I won't fall in to that hole again :smile:
  • keeptehpeace
    keeptehpeace Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I can't have biscuits (cookies) or crackers in the house without eating them all at once, so I just don't buy them any more
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    two years with no baked goods?????:noway: :noway: :noway:

NO
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    Options

NO

Haha! I should emphasize that this is just what works for *me* personally! :) It is the decision I made to keep myself safe. There are lots of foods that are problems for other people that I do just fine with, like chips and fried foods and stuff like that.

But I will say this - I don't miss those sweets one little bit. Best thing I ever did. I know that's hard for a lot of folks to believe but you could strap me to a lie detector and I'd pass! LOL But again - not for everyone.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    The hole I end up falling in to is I stop weighing myself once a week and allow my eating habits to slip. Then I don't realize that I'm gaining weight until my pants start fitting tightly at which point I have to crawl back out of the hole and dust myself off and lose the weight again. I won't fall in to that hole again :smile:

Good for you! Making a decision not to fall in is the first step. Way to go.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    In my case, I don't avoid the hole or travel to get around it. It is part of my everyday life, I climb down carefully and don't get hurt anymore. :laugh: I have ice cream everyday, as well as all the other foods I love and still lose weight.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

That's awesome and I like that alternate perspective on this topic. It's cool that you were able to modify a past bad behavior and make it work for you, congrats.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

NO

Haha! I should emphasize that this is just what works for *me* personally! :) It is the decision I made to keep myself safe. There are lots of foods that are problems for other people that I do just fine with, like chips and fried foods and stuff like that.

But I will say this - I don't miss those sweets one little bit. Best thing I ever did. I know that's hard for a lot of folks to believe but you could strap me to a lie detector and I'd pass! LOL But again - not for everyone.

Yes!

Because we're all here for the same reason but we're all different.
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    Reading that has made me really really really want to eat some cupcakes now.

Oh nooooooooo! Maybe this thread is now your hole? lol
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a gif thread.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the hole I used to fall in was abstinence, well, I guess the street was abstinence and the holes were all the things I didn't really want to abstain from. Then I took a stroll down moderation street. There's all the things I want to eat there, just in sensible serving sizes and a big advertisment for eating more slowly and enjoying every bite, and shops selling high protein and other very nutritious food, to also enjoy every bite of. And no holes. And McDonalds is only open once a week.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Oh yummy! Red Velvet Cupcakes are my FAVORITE!!! My "hole" is that I allow myself to get stagnant when it comes to working out, especially when I get close to my goal weight -- I've come within 4lbs of it a few times, then I stop watching what I eat and making sure I'm working out regularly. Now I just make sure I eat clean most of the time, but I allow myself treats -like red velvet cupcakes!- on occasion and in moderation. I've also found fun ways to workout -- I pole dance :-) and even though it's incredibly expensive I keep a personal trainer that I have to meet with regularly to keep myself accountable to going to the gym and working out.
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I thought this was going to be a gif thread.

down_in_the_hole.jpg
  • Brandolin11
    Options
    the hole I used to fall in was abstinence, well, I guess the street was abstinence and the holes were all the things I didn't really want to abstain from. Then I took a stroll down moderation street. There's all the things I want to eat there, just in sensible serving sizes and a big advertisment for eating more slowly and enjoying every bite, and shops selling high protein and other very nutritious food, to also enjoy every bite of. And no holes. And McDonalds is only open once a week.

That's interesting that abstinence became a hole for you. I'd almost call that "legalism" instead of abstinence though, because abstinence in and of itself isn't a bad thing... If you practice abstinence in a legalistic way with yourself (i.e., you tell yourself those things are "bad" and you're a "bad person" if you eat them) then I can see how someone could fall into that hole, that'd be miserable. It's great to hear that you were able to practice moderation with those things, how freeing. There are a lot of people who can do it. I'm not one of them when it comes to sweets (though I do moderation in lots and lots of other goodies), but there are a lot who can! :)
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Wait, so we're the hole?

Norm-and-Cliff.jpg

JK, like the thread.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

For example, before I learned to manage my compulsive overeating, I used to go to a cupcake shop in a nearby town every Saturday, buy four large cupcakes (usually red velvet w/cream cheese frosting if they had them), drive to a local park where no one would see me, and wolf all four of them down in the car. I would wake up on Saturday morning and say, "I really shouldn't eat those cupcakes today, I gained three lbs last week". But then somehow I would find myself driving close to that town to do "errands" that could have been done in another town. I would try and try to resist but I would eventually end up at that shop and in the car with those cupcakes.

Eventually, I decided to give up baked goods altogether. Once the cravings had passed, I realized how much self control I actually had. I never ate cupcakes, nor any other baked good again. It's been almost two years.

That was my hole and the abstinence from sweets is my new street. How about you?

WOW, well done you for recognising the `wrong street and hole`

I am sure there are lots of people on MFP with compulsive eating disorders that you can share your advice with for them to get in a good place also :flowerforyou:

My new street is trying to keep following the one marked weights not just walking
  • Brandolin11
    Options

I am sure there are lots of people on MFP with compulsive eating disorders that you can share your advice with for them to get in a good place also :flowerforyou:

My new street is trying to keep following the one marked weights not just walking

Aw, thanks!

I think I need to walk down that new street with you - I love to run and bike but keep shunning those weights even though I KNOW it's so good for me, especially since I'm over 40 years old. This winter I will start.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Aw, thanks!

I think I need to walk down that new street with you - I love to run and bike but keep shunning those weights even though I KNOW it's so good for me, especially since I'm over 40 years old. This winter I will start.
    Don't wait. Start right now. BY FAR my biggest regret is that I waited until I was near my goal weight to start lifting.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/977538-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1045433-women-lifting-heavy-with-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/987513-lifting-is-the-most-horrible-thing-to-a-woman-since-twiggy
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1102508-mfp-fitspiration
    and this:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1126817-why-are-so-many-people-waiting-to-add-lifting?
  • ProudMom2Jade
    ProudMom2Jade Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    My hole was getting "in for a penny, in for a pound" when I ate something extra or missed exercise. It was like "this day is already blown and I'll be back on my diet tomorrow so I might as well eat everything I've been wanting to eat today." Or I'd do the "I'll start my diet Monday thing." Now I see that days stretch 24 hours behind and ahead so an indulgence can usually be compensated for so even if I don't lose weight that day, I don't have to gain any weight. When you find yourself in a hole stop digging--much easier to get out that way.