Fear

Options
Here I am, 3 months later and 22lbs lighter. I've been here before. I've accomplished this in the past. I've actually gotten as low as 219 (currently 238). It seems that whenever I get 'too comfortable', the weight sneaks back on. After this past weight gain (again) I was smart and saved all my smaller clothing because I knew that one day I would get back down and lose the weight.

I love trying on all the clothing. I love the fact that my family is taking notice of the change. I love the way I feel. But when I start to think about what I'm doing, I get a little fearful. What if I fail again? How can I make sure that I don't fall back into old routines? How do I not do this to myself again and again?

I know that I need to consistently put myself first, but I find it hard to do that. I know that I deserve to lose weight and look and feel attractive. I guess I fear the responsibility that gets added on once you accomplish this sort of goal.

So, how do you do it? How do I not get scared of failing?

Replies

• dawn_eichert
    dawn_eichert Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    To me it isn't a matter of being afraid to fail, it is what am I going to do when it happens. Weight loss is a journey just like everything else in life. We will fall off the wagon at times. The difference is in what you do next.... Do you get right back on track after that slip up or do you throw in the towel and give up? Know that we are human and we will not always make the "right" food choices or will forgo that exercise session for a zoned out time in front of the TV. Enjoy the journey and keep going. It is truely the only way to continue to have success (no matter what your goal: weight loss, a career move, school, family, etc)

Know that you can do it!!!!
  • sakitchens
    sakitchens Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think it is ok to have little set backs along the way as long as you keep trying. You will eventually get over the tough spot. I try to give myself rewards a different intervalls. This helps keep me motivated. Think of things that you want or want to do. I have gotten a mani Pedi as my 10lbs reward. I am working on getting a pair of earrings I want. I have to get under 200 for that. Just try to keep positive and tell your self every day that You can do this. We all believe in you. Keep up the good work you started and look forward to all the new clothes you will be able to buy when you get even smaller!
  • sweetn3ss
    sweetn3ss Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Fear is another one of my weird motivators. All I keep hearing is my ex-husband telling me "Right like you can do that". I got this from him everytime I tried to lose weight. Well thanks to that I use it to push on. I am not with him but I still see him there provoking me, and in my mind I get to beat the living crap outta him (granted it feels better doing it in real life) LOL.

I am afraid that because of financial issues I will not be able to buy the healthy good for you foods. I feel that these foods combined with MFP are truly keeping me a float. Hang in there and you will get down to where you want/need to be. We are all here to support you!
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Fear is another one of my weird motivators. All I keep hearing is my ex-husband telling me "Right like you can do that". I got this from him everytime I tried to lose weight. Well thanks to that I use it to push on. I am not with him but I still see him there provoking me, and in my mind I get to beat the living crap outta him (granted it feels better doing it in real life) LOL.

I am afraid that because of financial issues I will not be able to buy the healthy good for you foods. I feel that these foods combined with MFP are truly keeping me a float. Hang in there and you will get down to where you want/need to be. We are all here to support you!

I use people who used to tease me as motivation for kickboxing :) lol
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    the fear of the unknown always scares me too. But it is your honest intention to get rid of the weight so your actions will follow your intention. If gaining back the weight is an option, you may get comfortable. Re commit to losing weight everyday and stay on the wagon, the journey is worth it. I'd journal or blog about it. I too got comfortable being 215 and sat there for a year. Now I am at 205 and I am scared of being under 200. I know I won't gain the weight back because I lost it slowly and made changes along the way. Trust your self in knowing that you are being good to yourself by reducing your size and let it be. Log on everyday, journal either public or private and walk through the fear. You will find your self thinner soon enough. Be brave. You have really done so well so far!!!!!!!!!!:glasses:
  • shari253
    shari253 Posts: 202
    Options
    I agree with Ana to either blog or journal about your feelings. Once I went to a counselor and I said I was afraid to lose, just like you. She told me to write down 5 things I was afraid would happen if I lost, then really explore my feelings about each of the five things. I wrote for pages and really surprised myself with some of my insights that were buried.

For each of the five reasons, keep asking yourself, "and what exactly do I mean by that, how does it make me feel, what specifically am i afraid of, what's the worst that could happen, how could I handle that?"

For some people - they may have fears they didn't realize, like if they feel too attractive they might be tempted to have an affair, or they are afraid a male relative or friend might find them sexually attractive, or they are afraid people will expect more of them and they won't be able to live up to it, or that people might think they are stuck up and not like them anymore, or that they will open themselves up to being a failure if they can't keep it off, etc. You get the idea.

Best wishes to you. You can figure it out if you put some effort into it.

shari.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Hi new friend.
    This time will be different. You can't log in daily and write down your food and exercise and not have it effect your daily life. I encourage everyone to blog out their feelings. On bad days look at what you did wrong from an outside perspective. Forgive the day and figure out what you can do next time to get over that particular hurdle. I copy and paste inspirational quotes from everyone here and put it in my blog so that I can find them when I need a boost. Ask for help from the community. They are very generous. I am excited for you to break that 200 mark too, so we will celebrate it together.
    Shel