Anyone having a hard time reaching 1200 cal?

Options

Replies

• comalua1
    Options
    obsidian, i see that you're been here a while. i, for one, have never had to lose weight before. i could polish a double quarter pounder and still be fine, because i was so active. if counting calories and choosing a healthier lifestyle is new to a person, as it may be to the OP, it can be tricky until you get the hang of what's okay.

for example... it's been only two weeks, but two WHOLE weeks i've had a pack of 280 calorie bagels in my freezer... i was scared to eat one. this morning for breakfast i slapped about 3 TBSP of cream cheese on that sucker and ate it.

it's a process. maybe you've forgotten, since you've been trying to lose weight for so long.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Nope.....because eating = losing weight. See ticker below. Eat to fuel your body.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm usually well past that by 8:00 a.m.
  • comalua1
    Options
    Nope.....because eating = losing weight. See ticker below. Eat to fuel your body.

lookin' good, mama!
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    Uh.....no.
  • spiffybarbarella1
    Options
    Are you tracking accurately? It is VERY easy to underestimate your calorie intake. You really have to track EVERYTHING that you eat. Also, portion sizes play a role: it can be the difference between eating 700cals a day vs 1200 cals "according" to your record. The ideal amount of calories to eat varies from person to person, based on your goals and other factors. The best way to gauge if your average intake is about right is to see if you are making progress towards your weight loss goal. If your calories are WAY too low, you are probably going to feel it: in the form of hunger and fatigue. Listen to your body.
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this....To my knowledge if you are honestly not getting full it is because your metabolism has slowed down due to not consuming enough food. I have my calories set at 1850 and I am hungry all the time if I don't eat junk. I've done my share of research and have slowly added calories forcing my metabolism to speed up since I slowed it down by not eating enough. I love food, hence why I need to loose some still but if eating 1850 cals a day has helped me loose 40lbs and gain muscle them some part of that has to be true.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options

it's a process. maybe you've forgotten, since you've been trying to lose weight for so long.

Nice assumption there

Yes of course it is a learning process, and by reading the answers in this thread OP is learning. That being said its kind of common sense that it is ok to eat that higher calorie stuff that you are a bit scared of if you can't get to the amount of calories you want by sticking with low calorie things.
  • Sometimes. There are some days when I'm just not that hungry!
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    sometimes you'll just be hungrier the next day. Look at your diet as a weekly thing instead of a daily thing. that way can't reach 1200 days won't bother you and neither will "oops I ate way over too much" because they will average out. assuming that's a reasonable goal for your height and weight and activity level. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard I try, by the end of the day, I have 200-400 calories left! I usually burn around 300 calories in exercise. After dinner, I'm just never hungry. I'm never hungry through out the day.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Wow, what are you going to do when you've lost enough weight and it's time to increase the calories up to maintenance?
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was at 1000 calories (my daily goal is 1630) so I had a double fudge cookie dough blizzard :P. You don't have to eat only "healthy" things to lose weight. I've lost 30lbs so far and I eat "junk food" on a fairly regular basis (along with veggies and lean proteins of course).
    Are you just starting your new lifestyle? When I first started I found it tough to reach 1200 too. In my experience it will pass.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    obsidian, i see that you're been here a while. i, for one, have never had to lose weight before. i could polish a double quarter pounder and still be fine, because i was so active. if counting calories and choosing a healthier lifestyle is new to a person, as it may be to the OP, it can be tricky until you get the hang of what's okay.

for example... it's been only two weeks, but two WHOLE weeks i've had a pack of 280 calorie bagels in my freezer... i was scared to eat one. this morning for breakfast i slapped about 3 TBSP of cream cheese on that sucker and ate it.

Your last comment was inappropriate.
  • PenriJ
    Options
    I have the same problem. Mainly due to being extra careful (too careful?) around intake. I also think not planning meals ahead of time is also causing this for me - so I'm always focussed on low-calories per meal instead of looking at the 'big picture'...

I'm not seeing any negative symptoms from trending around the 800-1000 calories a day - unless I've burned more than that in exercise, then I get mentally and physically exhausted.

Anyway - a bit of forward planning should help if you're seeing this as a problem.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Whenever I see posts like this, several thoughts immediately go through my head...

1) The OP is trying to get some attention. Maybe even a specific comment such as "OMG, I wish I had that problem! LOLOLOL! OP, you are so amazing!"

2) The OP is actually eating more than they think.

3) The OP is developing (or already has) an ED.

Either way, I hope that the OP reevaluates her plan and listens to those giving her genuine advice.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I think most people here are under-reporting and/or underestimating their caloric intake and not really eating 1200 calories. The few who do weigh and account for everything, and still struggle to hit 1200, likely do so for two principle reasons: 1) they're eating very low-calorie meals and b) they've restricted long enough for serum leptin to significantly decrease and cause hunger cues to adapt to lower caloric intakes.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I always wish i had this problem for a single day! Never, i keep fishing for whatever calories i can get and i eat around 1700+ calories everyday :grumble: No wonder my weight loss is going at a snails pace!
  • Jessica_Mujahidah
    Jessica_Mujahidah Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For those of you who are used to eating it might seem strange to you. But there are some people who aren't used to eating regularly and eating good foods (you know like protein that keeps you fuller for longer) so it's normal for them not to feel hunger. Not every single overweight person eats all the time you know.

Anyway, to the OP, I suggest forcing yourself to eat small meals throughout the day. After a while, your body will get used to it and you will eventually start to want to eat more. As others have said, if you're really logging everything and you're still struggling add some calorie-rich food to your diet.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Not every single overweight person eats all the time you know.

They all eat too much, though, and the idea that they suddenly can't eat enough is ludicrous.

It's a mental error. They think of calorie-dense foods as "bad" and avoid them because they're inherently "fattening."