TDEE am i doing this right?

Options
Hi i am
78 kilos/ 172 pound
162 cm / 5f 3in
Im 38 years old female

I calculate i need about 1900 calories to live so i minus 500 which gives me 1400 per day. I eat this and even if i burn 300 or 400 calories i dont count that as food (ie i dont eat my exercise calories back) so sometimes i net 1000 calories sometimes lower depends on how much exercise i do.

Am i doing this right???

Thank you all in advance for your help and advice :)

Replies

• aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post basically same question. Specifically..when using TDEE-20% (in my case about 1650) do you eat exercise calories back?
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that if you are using the TDEE method, it already includes an estimate of your activity (including exercise), so you don't eat back exercise calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hi i am
    78 kilos/ 172 pound
    162 cm / 5f 3in
    Im 38 years old female

I calculate i need about 1900 calories to live...

You're carrying a very high body fat percentage, so your BMR calculation needs to change to a formula that accounts for that. You're looking at a BMR ("need to live") of about 1200 calories/day and a non-exercise TDEE of about 1400 calories/day.

Take it away from there...
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

Edited to correct link and to say that this will best explain TDEE method
  • aleggett321
    Options
    Great post but it still didnt answer my question. It states entering TDEE as calorie goal in MFP which will then calculate a goal of net calories (calorie intake minus excercise), not gross. So again...do you eat exercise calories back thereby targeting a net goal of your TDEE?
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    Options
    TDEE includes activity, so no, do not eat back exercise calories. I enter my workouts under exercise notes to keep track. Also, you need to eat at a deficit of TDEE if using this method:

Need to lose (lbs)
    5-10 TDEE -10%
    10-20 TDEE - 15%
    More than 20 TDEE - 20%

Not recommended to cut more than 20% unless extremely obese or gastric bypass patient
  • aleggett321
    Options
    Thanks! My concern was that if I eat my TDEE-20% (1650) and work off 500 calories, that would put my net intake at only 1150. I was afraid that would be too low.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I like using iifym.com calculator
  • _TastySnoBalls_
    Options
    Thanks! My concern was that if I eat my TDEE-20% (1650) and work off 500 calories, that would put my net intake at only 1150. I was afraid that would be too low.

Your net will not be 1150, since TDEE already includes what you burn in exercise
  • sallysally
    sallysally Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi i am
    78 kilos/ 172 pound
    162 cm / 5f 3in
    Im 38 years old female

I calculate i need about 1900 calories to live...

You're carrying a very high body fat percentage, so your BMR calculation needs to change to a formula that accounts for that. You're looking at a BMR ("need to live") of about 1200 calories/day and a non-exercise TDEE of about 1400 calories/day.

Take it away from there...
    This confuses me even more? Sorry but i must sound so stupid. What should i be eating if i want to do the TDEE method please?
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Iifym.com put you at 1574, if you were to exercise 3 days a week. Obviously, these are merely calculators. There will be room for error whether it be more or less. Pick an intake, maintain it for a month or so, see how the scales do :) I've been able to up mine by about 100 calories over my weight loss and have still been losing. It's really up to the individual and it's trial and error. Make sure you weigh and measure everything and be honest with your journal and I wish you the best on your weight loss.
  • sallysally
    sallysally Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much everyone
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're doing it wrong.

With the 500 deficit, it's MFP's calculation, not TDEE.

If you use MFP, you have to count and add your exercise calories, and eat them back, because MFP only bases its formula on rest TDEE.
    If you use TDEE (which is on other site, like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ or iifym), you don't add exercise calories, because it's already included in the calculation.

Bottom line, if your net is anywhere less than 1200 (or your BMR, really), you're doing it wrong.
  • aleggett321
    Options
    Thank you @Franc127. An explanation that makes sense to me. Logic was telling me a net intake that low (by MFP calculation) wasn't a great idea. Will keep at my BMR .