If you like spicy Thai tuna salad you HAVE to try this!

Options
I was looking for an alternative to the Bumblebee Sensations: Spicy Thai Tuna medley. I love the stuff but it's a little pricey. I stumbled across this recipe today and Oh my..

Thai Tuna Salad

Ingredients:
2 (7-oz.) cans chunk tuna, drained
3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
2 tablespoons thinly sliced shallots or red onion
2 green onions thinly sliced crosswise
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped roasted, salted peanuts
1/2 to 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro + cilantro for garnish

Directions:
Combine tuna, fish sauce, lime juice, sugar, shallots, green onions, ginger, peanuts, pepper flakes and 2 tablespoons cilantro in a medium bowl. Toss gently to season tuna. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or chill for up to 2 days. Served chilled or at room temperature with lettuce leaves, pita bread or flour tortillas.

Yield: 4 servings.

Replies

• dmcgee
    dmcgee Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Do you know the calorie amount for a serving? Thanks!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    uhm I think I'm going to try this for lunch tomorrow. Sounds heavenly!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    This sounds great! Do you know the calorie amount for a serving? Thanks!

According to the recipe calculator here at MFP 4 servings works out to about 675 calories or so, or about 170 calories per serving without the wrap (Lettuce, flour tortilla, etc.)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    saving for later :)
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    So I looked on the bottle of the thai fish sauce that I found... 1tbsp - 1187mg sodium so this recipe has ~3600mg sodium in the whole batch just from the fish sauce (so roughly 1000mg per serving)

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the same flavor from the sauce with less sodium? And yes, I know you can opt to add less fish sauce hehe something that has a similar flavor that could be substituted?

Thx! :)
  • jrkingery
    Options
    So I looked on the bottle of the thai fish sauce that I found... 1tbsp - 1187mg sodium so this recipe has ~3600mg sodium in the whole batch just from the fish sauce (so roughly 1000mg per serving)

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the same flavor from the sauce with less sodium? And yes, I know you can opt to add less fish sauce hehe something that has a similar flavor that could be substituted?

Thx! :)

There really is no substitute for fish sauce of which I am aware. I suppose you could substitute soy sauce, but that isn't going to lower the sodium content much if at all. There are lowered sodium brands of fish sauce which claim to have 25% less sodium. Thai Kitchen makes one.

I don't really concern myself with the sodium content as the rest of my diet is pretty low in sodium and I don't plan on eating Thai tuna salad three times a day no matter how yummy it is. :laugh:
  • jrkingery
    Options
    Forgot the link to the low sodium fish sauce from Thai Kitchen.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=1279010&prrfnbr=1351139
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Thanks for the link! I'll look for it
  • nikkizphone2013
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. I <3 this stuff YUMMY!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I was going to say...3 T of fish sauce should be around 3600mg of sodium!
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I made it tonight for dinner. Great low calorie, protein-packed meal, and a nice treatment for boring old tuna.

I'll make it again - but a word of warning: it is very, very salty, and the lime adds to the bite. Tasted a bit like a heavily salted ceviche. For the next go around, I will scale back the fish sauce to maybe one tablespoon, and the fresh lime to probably 2 tablespoons.