Fats in food

shipleyak
shipleyak Posts: 65 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been going over on my fats lately. They are all good fats. I eat nuts, avacados, cheese, and rice alot. Should I worry about my fat being over when they are from sources like this. Now when I say over I am only over by 5 to 10, not a huge amount over. Thanx!

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    I say don't worry about 5 or 10 grams if they are all good sources. (rice isn't considered a good fat source though)
  • batty5
    batty5 Posts: 193
    Is it working for you that is the question? Personally if I ate avocado , nuts or cheese regularly I would most certainly gain weight. Some diets ask you to count grams of fat & suggest under 30 per day. Good luck.
  • tralalara
    tralalara Posts: 149
    I peeked at your food diary and I have a couple of questions.
    1. Why are you tracking just Sat Fat? why not Fat totally?
    2. What have you got your settings set for percentage wise? I notice you are set for 90 on protein which is the same as mine but your carbs are different.

I am set at 40/30/30 (carbs, fat, protein)
    I try to eat approx. 10gr fat, 20gr protein, 30gr carbs at each meal. It might come out like 12/24/38 or something like that but I adjust following meals to fall within daily limits if I can. But my main concern is balancing each meal.
    Hope this helps.
  • shipleyak
    I am not really worried about loosing weight by my fats. I am trying to learn what is good and bad on foods. Heart disease runs in the family. I have lost several loved ones to heart attacks and am trying to avoid it happening to me and my children :) I guess what I am wondering should I watch my fats all together or just keep a close eye on my saturated fats and cholesterol.
  • shipleyak
    LOL! Yeah I'm not just tracking my saturated fats. I track them all I had changed it for a minute to see what it said I was at on it. As far as my goals I have em adjusted to 35% carbs, 30% protein, 35% fat. Other websites told me to do 20 carbs, 50 protein and 30 fat but I couldnt eat that much protein in a day. To top it off, I am mostly concerned with eating healthy on a regular bases not just staying under calories. Trying to break a bad pattern that has developed in the family :)
  • tralalara
    I recently read an article concerning cholesterol and it was found it a recent study that controlling insulin levels helped more than lowfat diet.
    I can't find the article now. It was on my APnews mobile app. Dang it.
  • shipleyak
    Ohh if you remember let me know :) Diabetes I and II both run in the fam, also. Don't want kids to develop I if I can avoid it. I didn't, luckily. On a side note though, diet affects your insulin levels so diet must affect it just as much. The heathier the diet the more likely your body can regulate it on its own.
  • tralalara
    I'd say as long as they are healthy fats I wouldn't worry too much going over just a little. I personally think refined sugar is the worst thing for our bodies. Actually, any sugars besides naturally occurring ones. Some say controlling inflammation is really key to cholesterol and plaque build up. I've really been able to tell a difference since I've cut the sugar as much as I can. I used to have terrible joint pain and my feet really hurt to the point where I couldn't hardly stand after working all day. Since changing to this new way of eating my pain has REALLY gotten better. I read a book called "A Week In The Zone" and really learned alot. I know I mention this book all the time but I think it's helped me SO much I just want to share. :smile:
  • tralalara
    By the way, I'm originally from Oklahoma. I live in Missouri now but would love to move back where all my family lives. :happy:
  • shipleyak
    Ohh another note. Rice, I meant brown rice. I dont eat any other rice :) Oops!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I would say dont worry about the HEALTHY FATS. I eat alot of raw nuts and avacodos too. So if it is a little there is no worries. Also eating fat does not make you fat.
This discussion has been closed.