Should I worry about the sugar?

Options
Hi and I'm sorry if this topic has already been done and/or done to death...I'm not in a searching mood.

I regularly stay under my total calorie daily goal of 1800 cals, but I never stay under the auto set sugar limit of 36. Today I'm already at negative 39 and I haven't had dinner yet...

I don't add sugar but I eat at least 3 serves of fruit a day. Today's fruit is 2 bananas (I normally only eat one) and an apple. On top of that I have homemade muesli that has some dried fruit.

My question is. Should I worry about this type of sugar, even though it occurs naturally or is all sugar is m'kay???

Thanks.

Micheal

Replies

• I wouldn't worry. As long as you stay under your calories you should be losing weight.
  • djinnelle
    djinnelle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree not to worry about the sugar count. If you are getting it from fruit, it doesn't spike your blood sugar like processed sugar or flour. As long as it doesn't mess with your energy level, sugar has the same effect as any other carb.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a metabolic disorder related to sugar, it's not a metric you need to worry about.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    If I had to limit my sugar to the recommended intake by MFP, I would be very...

melon+collie.jpg
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Nope, don't worry about it. Enjoy your fruit. I don't track sugar and it hasn't affected my weight loss one bit. Bacon, however, I can't have nearly as often as I would like.
    995399_10151605915398673_1576436417_n_zps5aecd70c.jpg
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't have a metabolic disorder related to sugar, it's not a metric you need to worry about.

^^^ This
  • dorothyharden
    dorothyharden Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight and still eating over your recommended allowance of sugar and you have no desire to change your current eating you are okay. If your weight loss is very slow you may wish to reduce your consumption of high sugar foods to speed up weight loss, check a list of low glycemic index foods to find fruits lower in sugar. Berries tend to be much lower in sugar than peaches for example. Decreasing you sugar consumption should help you lose weight faster. For sustained weight management it is important to eat the foods that you like, it is too difficult to maintain if you find your diet unappealing.
  • cristiona001
    Options
    I'd be cautious. People praise fruit because it is healthy, but bananas have a lot of sugar in them. Berries are more nutritious than any fruit and have less sugar. Maybe you can take out one banana a day and substitute some strawberries or blueberries. Buying them in the freezer section is a great option.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight and still eating over your recommended allowance of sugar and you have no desire to change your current eating you are okay. If your weight loss is very slow you may wish to reduce your consumption of high sugar foods to speed up weight loss, check a list of low glycemic index foods to find fruits lower in sugar. Berries tend to be much lower in sugar than peaches for example. Decreasing you sugar consumption should help you lose weight faster. For sustained weight management it is important to eat the foods that you like, it is too difficult to maintain if you find your diet unappealing.
    because sugar affects weight loss?
  • YesIAm17
    YesIAm17 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

post-22873-big-bang-theory-penny-WHAT-gif-hueY.gif

Unless you have a specific related medical condition cutting sugar down will likely have no effect on weight loss assuming you continue to consume the same amount of calories.

Personally I don't even bother tracking sugar, and unless you have another reason to other than weight loss, you might want to change your MFP settings to track something more useful.

ETA: @OP... Donnie Darko FTW!
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options

^^^ This

I third this ^