How do I make Crunchy Chickpeas crunch?

Options
ksmi141
ksmi141 Posts: 72 Member
So, I recently fell in love with roasted chickpeas and kale chips. But. My chickpeas don't crunch, they are more nut textured. I'm almost certain I've had some from somewhere that had that satisfying crunchy texture. I've baked them til they were almost burnt with no success, but I rolled them in Sriracha - could the extra moisture be the culprit? Lost cause or am I doing something wrong?!

Replies

• russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - they taste nice, but are very soft.
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    oil.. olive oil, sunflower seed oil, etc..
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have enough space between them on the pan. If they're overcrowded, they'll end up steaming and being mushy instead of crispy. I sometimes wiggle the skins off of most of them, but I'm not sure if that really helps or not.
  • mrsjenfrank
    mrsjenfrank Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Make sure you pat them dry with paper towel before you add the oil and spices (or sriracha... damn, why didn't I think of that?! lol). If there is water on them from rinsing them, they wont crisp as nice.

At least that's what works for me. :)
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I preheat my oven to 425 then rinse and drain my chickpeas, toss with olive oil and spices, spread out evenly on a baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I think semi-crunchy kind of sounds better. What's the humidity like where you live? Do you get them extra dry before the oven?
  • veggiebuckeye
    veggiebuckeye Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed -- like JustineMarie2 said -- toss in some oil and spices and bake at 425 for about 40 to 45 minutes. Mine always come out nice and crunchy.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Make sure you pat them dry with paper towel before you add the oil and spices (or sriracha... damn, why didn't I think of that?! lol). If there is water on them from rinsing them, they wont crisp as nice.

At least that's what works for me. :)

+1

Dry, dry, they must be dry.
  • russellbrand69
    russellbrand69 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Thanks - will try drying them, and using a large baking tray space so there is space, and report back!