Servers: Double shift vs. workout...

Christie23
Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone!! So, I am a server by trade and on days where I am scheduled for a double shift, I generally try to stay on the floor straight through for the day. This leaves me pretty tired at the end of the night, and I never seem to be able to muster the energy to hit the gym. My question is this: if I were to get a pedometer, could I count the steps I make at work as my cardio? I know that I have a higher calorie allowance than most because I am so active in my job... so would it be counter productive to count it as cardio as well?

Replies

• GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    i would think that ur normal activitiy would be 1 shift. when u do the extra shift that's above ur normal daily activity. i would use the pedometer durin the 2nd shift. :flowerforyou:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    As for your last question, yes. If you count your double shifts into your activity, don't count it... but like goobegone said, if it's just a normal shift, then you could count during the 2nd.
  • netresult
    netresult Posts: 5 Member
    As a waitress I would walk anywhere from 10 - 40 miles a night on the floor.

Your best bet, is to put your 'activity level' at low or slighty active as for non work days (so you are not counting work. You dont work 7 days a week do you?), then wear a pedometer for any and all (1 or 2 shifts) and count the minutes/miles/steps as your cardio workout. Get a pedometer that tracks time spent exercising, they're great. You dont want to be counting break time or anything as exercise. You burn alot of calories on the floor, prolly more (especially working a double) than your activity level allots. Waitressing is very much cardio because you are not only walking, your twisting, turning, bending, carrying & sometimes running.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Waitressing is very much cardio because you are not only walking, your twisting, turning, bending, carrying & sometimes running.

NO DOUBT!!!! I run all over the place! That's why I have been frustrated forcing myself to go to the gym afterward... at 10pm... after running all day. Ugh...
This discussion has been closed.