preventing side stitches during exercise?

Options
Hi there! I have recently began to up my exercise time from a mere 15 minutes or so.. to 30-90 minutes per workout. I drink water and nourish myself appropriately but I seem to always get side stitches about 10 or 20 minutes in, sometimes even faster. Its really annoying because I can push through the "good" pain, but not that. I have no choice but to slow down until it subsides. Any recommended methods for preventing this?

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I get them I'll hold my arms over my head and that seems to make them go away faster. I had never heard it called a side stitch. LOL I had to google it to make sure I knew what you were talking about.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Are you getting them during a run? If so then try this:

When it hits try to inhale deep when your foot hits the ground the opposite side of the side stitch. For example, side stitch on your right side: breath in deep when your left foot hits the ground. Side stick should disapear within a minute or two.
  • Quinn_Baker
    Quinn_Baker Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when I get them I'll hold my arms over my head and that seems to make them go away faster. I had never heard it called a side stitch. LOL I had to google it to make sure I knew what you were talking about.

Hahaha, really? Maybe its a southern term. :P thank you