One Month America Trip

Options
I am lucky enough to be going to America (from Australia) for one month in January this year. We will be staying in basic hotels/motels which do not have cooking equipment (microwaves, or fridges or kettles). I have worked extremely hard to get where I am weight wise and would like to maintain my weight at around 53-55 kilograms.

We will be eating out for almost every meal. I would probably be able to get simple stock cupboard foods (muesli bars, etc.) but these are not meals. We will be walking a lot and I am guessing that I will be unable to do any additional exercise. We will be travelling around a lot- California, Nevada, Mexico, New York (Times Square!), Florida and Illinois. I will not have a mobile phone with access to the app, and other internet access will be very (if existent) intermittent.

My main problems food wise are that I over do it on buffets, I snack mindlessly, and I love trying new foods. How can I maintain my weight under these circumstances?

Replies

• MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    you can go (now) online to various restaurants/fast foods etc in the areas you will be, and make the healthy choices now - it's good to see the numbers because sometimes we might think "oh a salad, sounds healthier than a burger" and in reality that salad can pack a LOT of extra cals.

You can also stop at supermarkets/convenience stores and buy healhtier options such as- oatmeal (most cheaper/budget/family hotels have a coffee maker in the room), pudding cups, whole grain rice cakes/rolls, individual portions of canned/vacum packed tuna, chicken, salmon etc. most supermarkets have a big "salad bar" and/or hot food option so you can buy some salad items as well as plain fruit salad. and you will be walking a lot so don't worry so much and enjoy!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I am lucky enough to be going to America (from Australia) for one month in January this year. We will be staying in basic hotels/motels which do not have cooking equipment (microwaves, or fridges or kettles). I have worked extremely hard to get

First off, have a wonderful time. I was lucky enough to live in Australia for almost 5 yrs. I hope you enjoy the USA half as much as I loved being there.

Even the most basic motels have coffee makers and microwaves these days. Not sure where you are getting the idea you won't have those available to you. The fridge is pretty common these days as well. but even if you don't have those, there are inexpensive strofoam coolers. Eskies here are more pricey but for a month trip you might want to invest in one. A Walmart will probably have an affordable one. Assuming you will be traveling by car mostly. Flying with them can get tricky.

i would suggest passing on the buffets as the food is usually not that great. Stick to local cafes or a chain that has decent foods like Panera Bread, Sweet Tomato, Salad'n'Soup, and similar type chains.

Keep walking. You sound like you will have plenty of hills and even mountains to be climbed. You should get plenty of exercise playing tourist. I always lose a few lbs when I travel to Europe because I walk so very much more.

So relax, sample local specialties when you have the chance, and have a great time. As for logging just keep a paper log and note what you are seeing and experiencing along with your food choices. Enjoy!!
  • sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    For the sake of security, also get one of those prepaid phones. Just in case.

You can get sandwiches, and the like from supermarkets. Those are usually a bit healthier. Or get stuff to make sandwiches, but use stuff that won't spoil. Or buy pre cut cheese/meat if you're not going alone.

Also, you could always write down the stuff you eat and do that maths on paper, if you want to keep track of what you're eating. It won't be 100% accurate, but will give you an idea of what you'll eat.

And lastly, even if you gain a few pounds, you'll be able to work them off as soon as you eat normally again.

HAVE FUN ON YOUR TRIP!!!!
  • Jazzybrass
    Jazzybrass Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice. I am probably stressing over nothing but am having a hard time at work. I was told by my uncle (who booked the hotels) that there would not be cooking facilities :D I am very much going to enjoy my time overseas and will stop stressing as soon as I start experiencing all the new stuff :D
  • Jazzybrass
    Options
    I will be getting a cheap cell phone, but will be getting a mega cheap one which does not have access to the internet. There is no point in buying a more expensive phone for a few weeks
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I go to the US 1/2 times a year and always put on weight, it's not an option. Enjoy yourself, don't deny yourself new foods and experiences. I always lose a few extra lbs before I go to compensate for the lbs I'm going to gain whilst I'm there.

You'll get free wifi in most places across the US........ just don't roam.
  • Jazzybrass
    Options
    Thanks! That is the reason why I am leaving my phone in Aus; so there is no chance I can get huge roaming bills.
  • Ovrsees
    Options
    Check the menu .... the calorie count sould be listed as per the US standard. Pick the the right choice and you will be fine :wink:
  • Jazzybrass
    Options
    This may be a silly question. Do fast food restaurants in the US show calories on their menus? Do chain restaurants show calories on their menus?
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    This may be a silly question. Do fast food restaurants in the US show calories on their menus? Do chain restaurants show calories on their menus?

For the most part, only if it's the law, like NYC.

You should take your phone if it's a smart phone. WiFi is available in a lot of restaurants. I would also advise against buffets.

For fast food, Panera Bread posts calorie information on the menu and they are a relatively healthy sandwich cafe.

Use what you've learned. You know what portions should look like. You know which foods are calorie-dense. Order meals with lean meats, plenty of vegetables, and whole grains. I like to use a pie chart to visualize what I should be eating when I go out: half my plate would be vegetables, a quarter meat or protein, and a quarter carbohydrate.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Many fastfood places and Starbucks have wifi so that can help you with the internet problem; even if it is a 10 minute stop each morning to log your previous day. Meanwhile, get a cheap notebook and write down what you eat and drink each day just so you can keep track of that.
    I spent a few weeks in the US during the summer and was pleased to find that many restaurants and chains show the calorie content of things which makes it easier to choose.
    Overall, just relax and enjoy yourself. Either choose to have three big meals a day or to try more, eating 5 smaller portions.

When I was over there, I also noticed that most supermarkets sell precut raw veggie boxes with dip - that was my go-to snack or lunch on most days to make sure I got some good things in me and so I could eat a bigger dinner. I highly suggest you consider these for long days as well.

I hope this helps you a little and have a great time! :) After all, this is a great trip coming up a head and if you gain a few extra kilos, they will melt off once you're back home and back to your routine!
    (Oh, and all that extra touristy walking will be super good for you :) )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. I don't think the food will be much different from Australia honestly. I'd splurge and have the American stuff (guessing ribs, cheesecake) once though. But other than that, if you stick to chains, they often have lower calorie options on the menu. Some fast food places have calories, others don't, but as long as you're smart in your choices (avoid things with sauce, fried etc) you should be fine.
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What a trip of a lifetime for you:)) I can tell you how our Europe trip went after I had lost 23 lbs in 2003. I was eating a lot less by then and mostly sampled everything, not eating huge meals although I wanted to. We also did a lot of foot exploring which kept me level as well. We drank a lot of bottled water too as everywhere you went they came in gallon jugs... You will do just fine, just keep your eyes on the healthy food and just sample the rest. Have loads of fun in our great USA:)) (I only gained 1 lb back so I was thrilled)
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    most grocery stores here have salad and food bars. Whole Foods chain has some wickedly, variety packed ones so search those out in the towns you are visiting. Au Bon Pain is another sandwich chain here that displays calorie counts on their website and their menu boards. You can get a surprisingly large green salad w/a huge scoop of tuna for 340 cal. at ABP. Enjoy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How fun! I say eat and dont worry about calories. Try a little here and try a little there. The portion sizes will be gigantic. Save some if you can (small hotel fridge), and dont feell guilty about throwing out the rest. One day you'll be eating mexican, the next you'll be having breakfast at a french style bistro, thai for lunch, steakhouse for dinner, and you'll indulge one day and have a rip roaring American style buffet. Snacking at dip and dots or cinabon in the mall. Dont let worry of calories ruin your fun!

America has so much variety in food so many cultures, so many tastes. Keep walking and moving you'll be fine.
  • Jazzybrass
    Options
    Wow- a year and a half old. I had forgotten about this thread. I somehow managed to lose a significant amount of weight while in America and got down to a very small size zero.