why do people say coconut oil is bad for you?

Options
124»

Replies

• Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Palm oil is what it's all about people. Everything tastes amazing when I cook with it.

Argh NO!!! Palm oil is terrible mainly for the fact huge tracts of rainforest are being flattened for palm oil plantations. Think of the poor orangutangs!

False. West African palm oil agriculture does not endanger orangutangs
  • aeb09
    aeb09 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
  • Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Palm oil is what it's all about people. Everything tastes amazing when I cook with it.

Argh NO!!! Palm oil is terrible mainly for the fact huge tracts of rainforest are being flattened for palm oil plantations. Think of the poor orangutangs!

False. West African palm oil agriculture does not endanger orangutangs

Maybe not, but 85% of the world's palm oil comes from Borneo, which does.
    http://www.orangutan.org.au/palm-oil
  • caseyjmc
    caseyjmc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF for several months. Genetically I am predisposed to high LDL-p, so no matter how optimal all of my other numbers have been, the LDL-p is at 1900. My lipidologist convinced me and put me on 40mg Atorvastatin (Lipitor), and my numbers dropped to 700's. Under 1000 is optimal. I have had no side effects at all, and feel great so far.

In having me take the extensive lipids test showing the small and large particles, since doing LCHF, everything is optimal--but last time, my inflammation/oxidation went from optimal to high risk. She asked me if I was doing or eating anything different. Only the addition of Nutiva Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. She told me to get off of it, and to not use ANY tropical oils at all. She claimed that since I am not a Pacific Islander nor descended from it, it is not good for me. She is ok with butter, bacon, etc., but not the coconut oil. My next blood draw is in May and I should have my results two weeks later.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with the coconut oil? I really like the stuff, and am anxious to see if it has truly made the difference in my scores. A part of me hopes it is still high risk so I can go back to the coconut oil!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I've never heard this. I've only ever seen people going out of their way to tout both the believable benefits of it as well as the ridiculous.