sick and gained 5lbs!

I have been sick with bronchitis for 3 weeks and having trouble getting rid of it. I have been through 2 rounds of antibiotics, which I hate, and just now starting to get over it. I decided to weigh myself this morning and have gained 5lbs!!!! I was 195 but now 200! It feels terrible to be back in the 200s! Anyways, I guess my question is, when your sick, what do you do to continue your weight loss and when do you continue?
btw, I started exercising when I first had it and was getting over it. That's when it got worse and had to go back for the second round of antibiotics!

Replies

• lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Honestly when I'm sick I dont workout. I pretty much turn into a couch potato until I feel better. I try to eat right and stay with in my calories. I just back on it once everything has cleared up. Don't sweat the 5 pounds, even though I know it feels like a complete set back, once you are feeling 100% again you will be able to drop those 5 lbs pretty quickly I bet. The best thing to do when sick is rest and make sure you are getting your nutrients so your body can fight whatever is making you feel like crap. The faster you heal the faster you can get back to exercise.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You don't have to exercise to lose weight but if you're eating the same as you did when you exercised that would explain the weight gain. If you can't exercise you may need to cut your calories a bit. You may also have a bit of fluid retention going on.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Antibiotics ALWAYS throw me for a loop. They do really crazy things to my body...like mess with any semblance of regularity I have.

When I'm sick enough to require antibiotics, then all bets are off. I reduce the number of calories to my base rate (figured on sedentary, no exercise), assuming I even have an appetite, and kind of go from there. My scale numbers go all over the place, so I've learned just not to get on the scale until I'm over it and back to my regular routine for a couple of days.

ETA: Basically I eat my exercise calories back. If there's no exercise, then no calories to eat back, LOL...
  • When you're sick you can't exercise. Just watch what you're eating and focus on getting better. When you recover you can continue your weight loss journey.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    I would just make sure your getting all the nutrients your body needs and then start your diet again after your well.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    If I was sick, I would eat at maintenance. My body doesn't need to be hungry and deprived while it's trying to heal.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Antibiotics always make me retain water. I really don't think you should do much other than focus on getting better! Bronchitis sucks and when it isn't taken care off properly it will only get worse. Trust me I have been there!
  • enkennon
    enkennon Posts: 161 Member
    TWO WORDS:

Water retention!!!!!!!!!!

Whenever you are sick your body WILL store water. You need extra fluids when your sick any way so make sure you are drinking enough water. Your body s trying to heal itself. When you are sick the possibility of dehydration is higher so your body ( being so efficient) will store what you have and what you feed it.

I was sick with a cold and "gained" 3lbs. Took me a week-1.5 weeks to get back down and i didn't change anything i was doing i only got rid of the cold. It's not fat I promise. unless you were eating a ton of food. and i do mean a TON.

E
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    thanks everyone! I will watch my diet a little closer and try not to take it too hard about the weight gain. (fingers crossed hoping its just water retention from the antibiotics!)lol
  • marigolddd
    marigolddd Posts: 10 Member
    I have been sick with bronchitis for 3 weeks and having trouble getting rid of it. I have been through 2 rounds of antibiotics, which I hate, and just now starting to get over it. I decided to weigh myself this morning and have gained 5lbs!!!! I was 195 but now 200! It feels terrible to be back in the 200s! Anyways, I guess my question is, when your sick, what do you do to continue your weight loss and when do you continue?
    btw, I started exercising when I first had it and was getting over it. That's when it got worse and had to go back for the second round of antibiotics!

Hahaha ! The same thing happened to me and I have lost 1 kg. And I was not even exercising.:blushing:
    May be because , I thought it is a cold due to dehydration and I cut down on my tea and coffee ( only one cup coffee in the morning ) and was drinking coconut water.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    sounds like water weight to me