Suggestions for weight loss while working

Options
I recently got a new job and I'm not good at multitasking so how I can keep focused on my journey towards health and also fit in my new work schedule? In the past I usually just gave up trying to lose weight but I don't want to do that this time. Any suggestions??

Replies

• nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Set reasonable goals, do not quit and be patient.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    What has been your biggest challenge in the past? If you share that you will probably get some good, specific feedback :)
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    plan what food you will eat in the morning and pre log it, then you will be less tempted for extra snacking at work.. also bring a nice healthy packed lunch :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Also, what are your goals?

But here is some generic advice:
    1. Pack your lunch so you know exactly what and how many calories you are consuming.
    2. Set aside some time each day to be active (pick your poison - walking, lifting, running, etc.). Make it part of your work day and like work, you do it everyday no matter if you're motivated or not.
    3. Weigh and measure everything for the best chance of success at maintaining a modest caloric deficit.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    You make it routine - it's not always fun and glamorous, but it becomes habit so you don't have to think about it all of the time. Do your meal prep on Sundays, plan your workouts for the week and do it. Planning is the only thing that works for me - I never know if my day will be 8 or 12 hours, so I get to the gym at 6am and get it out of the way.

I pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks so I don't have to figure out what I want to eat. Congrats on the new job. Like another poster said, consistency is the only thing that will work. You will have off days, just make sure you move on and don't dwell on it. Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about eating at a calorie deficit. Plan your meals in advance, prelog if you want to, take the food you plan to work and only eat that food. It doesn't take a lot of multi tasking or extra effort to not eat over your budget.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I plan what I eat for lunches and what to make for dinner ahead of time
    I set myself weekly goals (workout 2 times this week, don't eat any junk)
    find out if the company has a corporate discount on a gym
    find out if there is a running club or a gym club, or set one up (team building as well has being healthy)
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Eat a large breakfast before you leave for work (think eggs, light cheese, and toast...maybe some avocado) and then pack a healthy lunch with two to three snacks. Always pack your lunch!!! Never be out in the world AND hungry.....that is a recipe for disaster. I pack a wide variety of items in my lunch...Greek yogurts (one of the yummy "flip" varieties), variety of fruit, a turkey sandwich, a granola bar (one that has bits of chocolate so I don't feel deprived), and sometimes nuts. I have lost 25 pounds already (since July 2013) with about 7 more to go. I log my food before I leave for work, so I don't have to worry about it. I am a teacher, work about 45 hours a week, have 218 students (most at risk...stressful) and have two of my own kids. It is totally doable to make it all work....trust me. Also I would suggest having a good group of mfp friends (not too many) and stay off the forums (they can get a bit intense). Good luck.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Most people have busy lives and have to juggle working, eating right and working out.

What in particular do you consider a struggle?

In terms of diet, planning and preparation may be the key. Have a healthy lunch and snacks on hand. If you're a boredum eater or likely to be tempted by high calorie treats in the office then having your own snacks available can make it easier to avoid these.

Make sure you have your activity level and calorie goal set to a sustainable deficit that does not leave you feeling hungry and deprived. Aim for plenty of lean protein, healthy fats and wholefoods to keep you satisfied but also leave room for whatever else you fancy.

If you struggle to fit exercise in then try going for a brisk walk at break times tor go up and down stairs to get the heart rate raised a bit. If you prefer to work out in the morning then set your alarm early and get it done before work.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    plan what food you will eat in the morning and pre log it, then you will be less tempted for extra snacking at work.. also bring a nice healthy packed lunch :)

^^ This! I always take a packed lunch, so I don't end up running to the cafeteria or out for fast food... it really helps!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I concentrated on diet when I first started, fitting in walks where I could throughout the day. So I would say focus on changing how and what you eat. Preplanning was super important for me.
  • devinmaxwell
    Options
    I think a lot of people hit it right. Planning is always best and pre logging if you can. Pre logging helps me, it takes the temptation out and helps if I've already logged what I'm going to eat. We all have bad days like someone had said, you just move one, it's one bad day. I know it's hard for me to plan my food to a certain degree. It does help to be consistent, for example I have the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day while I'm at work with the occasional leftovers from dinner for lunch. This helps me be consistent and not stray. I read somewhere that this helps with weight loss. It can get boring but at least I know I'm doing the right thing.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten the suggestion I would give: Plan your meals and prepack so you can take them with you (or keep food at work, if that's an option).

Working out before work is also great - it really does help you feel better through the day and you don't need to worry about pushing yourself to do something when you're tired at the end of the day. Once you're in the routine of it, you might not even feel tired at the end of your day :)