Ways to avoid calorie heavy drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I was a diet Dr. Pepper aholic, but I quit cold turkey once I decided to finally lose the weight. I did find that drinking soda made me want more sugar and that nothing was ever sweet enough.

I started drinking tea - flavored tea really helped me cut down on the soda without too many cravings...caffien in the day and herbal at night.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Seltzer/soda water. I'm super excited because Polar just put out their Limited Edition line for this winter. Mint chocolate? Buttered rum?! Strawberry champagne?!?!? SIGN ME UP.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Tea! This can actually replace quite a few cravings. If you are looking to replace the carbonation of the soda, like you said, carbonated water is great. If you want to replace other cravings, try tea! You can get just about any flavor and flavor combo. I LOVE sea salt caramels so now I am drinking a sea salt caramel tea with no sugar....and like my name says...I'm a sugar addict!

wha!? SEA SALT CARAMEL TEA?

Where did you find this? Must have.

Teavana has one, I think
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I cut them out cold turkey and now I cant stand and of them. I drink water and coffee only. My coffee I take with 1 stevia and 3 tsp of powder cream! Got used to it and now I don't even like the other stuff.

Yes, Same here. I stopped my 3 a day diet coke habit about 5 years ago. Moved to tea, and got tired of it, and cut that about 2 years ago. Today, just water with lime (the best!) or lemon and my morning coffee with raw sugar only.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Sodas are my downfall I could make a meal out of them. It's pretty much cold turkey or nothing with me. I crave them all the time.

Since my pregnancy I have not been successful. Not helping that the only thing that doesnt make me feel crappy is soda.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Tea! This can actually replace quite a few cravings. If you are looking to replace the carbonation of the soda, like you said, carbonated water is great. If you want to replace other cravings, try tea! You can get just about any flavor and flavor combo. I LOVE sea salt caramels so now I am drinking a sea salt caramel tea with no sugar....and like my name says...I'm a sugar addict!

Yum! This works too find a flavored tea you love. I love blueberry tea.
  • sugaraddict1180
    Options

Yum! This works too find a flavored tea you love. I love blueberry tea.

mmmm blueberry tea! yummy!
  • sugaraddict1180
    Options

wha!? SEA SALT CARAMEL TEA?

Where did you find this? Must have.

Teavana has one, I think

Thats the one! I mix it with My Morning Mate (which is supposed to be a coffee version of tea)
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    If you like frothy coffee drinks, don't give them up -- make them at home, and save yourself the calories and the money! I now have a lovely espresso machine with a steam wand to froth my (almond) milk, but a cheaper option is to buy a battery-powered milk frother, which range from $2- $20. Pour some milk in your mug, add sweetener if desired, heat it for a few seconds in the microwave, whip it up with the milk frother, and then pour in your hot coffee.

If you like frappe-style coffee drinks, I love to make them with protein powder. You can make them with regular ice and coffee, but if you have leftover coffee, pour it in an ice cube tray and use those for your frappes! I just drank a frappe made with coffee, chocolate protein powder and half a cup of almond milk... 150 calories, 25g protein, lots of delicious.
  • KateEMD
    KateEMD Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for these awesome ideas! I love tea too and I found this lemon ginsing tea that really fills me up if I want to snack at night. I also didn't know you could get a portable frother! That might be my new investment.
  • creativecalico
    creativecalico Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I make fancy infused spa water with fresh fruits and herbs. Right now I have cantaloupe ginger water in the fridge. I feel like I'm treating myself without ingesting crazy amounts of empty calories. It also helps you switch up what you're drinking so you're not bored with water again.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I kinda just went cold turkey and dirnk only water or water with lemon all the time. If I am out with a few friends, no alcohol but pick up a Coke Zero / Diet Coke if I have to (though this is once a month). It's hard but the more time passes, the easier it becomes. Start by limiting your intake really and once you get used to that, drop the intake again until you have cut it out completely.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I used to drink soda everyday since I was 13 until I was 16, when I realized that I had to stop. I switched to drinking lemonades instead. I started with the ones sold in the stores then when I saw on TV that fresh lemonade tastes better I just make my own :) Since then, I only drink soda as a chaser ;) But I rarely drink anyways just once or twice max a year :D And I dont drink much lemonade either nowadays I just drink ice cold water most of the time
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    WAYS TO INCREASE WATER CONSUMPTION and/or DECREASE CONSUMPTION OF UNHEALTHY DRINKS
    1. Don’t drink anything else in the morning, until you’ve had 2C of water.
    2. When you take medications or supplements, only take them w/a C of water.
    3. Before you refill your other drinks, drink at least a C of water.
    4. Only drink water w/meals OR only drink your other drinks for meals.
    5. When at a restaurant, only drink water (will save you money as well).
    6. When you drive, only have water in the car to drink.
    7. Only have water at work.
    8. Whenever you’re tempted to drink (or eat) things unhealthy or over calories, drink water until you feel uncomfortably full. This will often keep you from eating/drinking anything else, or at least cut down on what you drink/eat.

A. Some drinks in moderation are considered healthy, like coffee (3 C/day) or tea (4C/day).
    B. Try to cut down gradually on the amount of unhealthy stuff you may put in drinks…sugar or cream (on the latter you could go from powders, to cream, to whole milk, to reduced fat milk, to skim, to less skim).
    C. Switch from Caffeinated to Half Caff to DeCaff.
    D. Switch from Sodas to Ice Tea, Lattes to Regular Coffee, even sodas to Kool-Aid would be an improvement if you gradually decrease the amount of mix you use. Milk...mix whole w/reduced fat, to 2%, to 1%, to skim.
    E. Juices are healthy, but can be high in calories, you can add a little water to them to make them go farther, or switch to whole fruit/veggies.
    F. Many studies have shown use of artificial sweeteners is not only unhealthy, but can actually INCREASE the number of calories you end up consuming. So consider switching from diet drinks to regular ones, & then follow the guidelines above to reduce consumption.

KIDS...start them out right, avoid unhealthy food/drinks completely from the beginning & encourage water.

Post on Your Fridge. Leave your ideas in the comments.