EVENINGS!! *shake fist*

Options
During the day, I am on point with my goals, and it doesn't feel too challenging. I have lost five pounds in about a month, and I'm happy with that progress. But in the evenings...I swear. I would break the law for a snack after dinner. I do allow myself a square of dark chocolate, a mini brownie, or a cup of air-popped popcorn after dinner on some nights, but within my calorie allowance (I usually count my calories by the week for more flexibility to go slightly under or over on individual days. Works fine for me personally).

Do you have a time of day that's more difficult than others? How do you distract yourself or power through? I need advice!

Replies

• kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Gum and after dinner mints work well for me. Or brush your teeth.
  • mousemom18
    mousemom18 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    evenings - I am right with you there. A whole day of self-discipline can be undone by an evening of grazing.
  • WanaBMom
    WanaBMom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Nights and weekends are the worst for me. In fact it's any time I'm just at home. I try to be good but when I see my husband grab something yummy I just want some. I also do a lot of things around the house that tend to raise my hunger level. I try to keep healthy choices on hand at all possible.
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I get late night cravings like crazy. Usually about an hour before I have to go to bed I get the urge to go out and hit a drive thru for some kind of snack . . . it sucks. I can usually talk myself out of it by reminding myself that between the time it'll take me to go out, get food, come home, eat, and get ready for bed, I'll be going to bed much later than I should, and thinking of going to work in the morning exhausted makes the snack not worth it.
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Oh man, do I feel your pain! I have the hardest time with wanting to snack after dinner too. I usually try to save myself about 200 calories so I can have a couple of Oreos, or a glass of wine in the evenings. I find that if I get up and do something rather than watch TV or read, that I don't get that craving to snack. Sometimes I will either brush my teeth, or start to do my nails, because I don't like the taste of anything after brushing, and it's impossible to try and eat anything with wet nails!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I leave myself calories for after dinner snacking. I like to eat in the evening, sometimes quite a lot. I know this about myself, so I just allot the calories ahead of time and then I don't sweat it.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Why not allow yourself some calories for the evening? Just eat a little less at other meals during the day. The myth of "don't eat after dinner" or after a certain time is exactly that, a myth.
  • pianolover2012
    pianolover2012 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I exercise when I get home from work (6pm) and wait to eat dinner around 7 or so, the need to snack is eliminated. I can usually make it without feeling the need to snack.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I eat really small meals during the day so that I have extra for nighttime.
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    For me, it's never just a little snacky feeling at night. It's more like a "hey let's see if we can eat KFC's entire menu" feeling. I have wacky cravings for things like cornbread or sweet n sour chicken (I really miss Chinese food) or an ice cream sundae. Pretty much everything that I can never eat ever again haunts me at night.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I used to leave myself some extra calories for dinner, and it worked nicely. Now I just have a super light dinner and brush my teeth afterwards, and go to bed earlier (10pm is late for me now, lol), it seems to help...
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I find the evenings can be tough for me if I'm sitting around watching TV. If I start to feel 'snacky' and I don't have room left in my calories for the day, I get up and throw in a load of laundry or start dishes or something to distract myself. Simply brushing my teeth helps sometimes too. If I am actually 'hungry', I have a piece of fruit or some veggies and some lean protein. (Apple slices or broccoli florets with almond butter works well for me.)

Most of the time I have eaten dinner (usually meal 5 for me) so late that I am not 'hungry' before it is time to go to bed.
  • mundaetraversa
    Options
    Exactly! I save enough calories for a small snack after my meal, but I know if I save a lot, I'll make far poorer choices than I do when I consume those calories during the day. I am seeing a lot of good advice on this thread, though. Maybe I'll try brushing my teeth earlier...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I leave myself calories for after dinner snacking. I like to eat in the evening, sometimes quite a lot. I know this about myself, so I just allot the calories ahead of time and then I don't sweat it.

This is exactly what I do. I like to eat at night so my earlier eating is lighter, then I can enjoy a larger quantity at night. It keeps me from going over my goals.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options

^^ Me too.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    For me, it's never just a little snacky feeling at night. It's more like a "hey let's see if we can eat KFC's entire menu" feeling. I have wacky cravings for things like cornbread or sweet n sour chicken (I really miss Chinese food) or an ice cream sundae. Pretty much everything that I can never eat ever again haunts me at night.
    Haha me too, sometimes I dream about food. Then get out of bed and in a half asleep state see if I can combine applesauce, plain yogurt, and oatmeal to resemble some sort of cookie dough type creation. I've made some terrible things... >___<
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Make friends with skinny people and learn.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Why not allow yourself some calories for the evening? Just eat a little less at other meals during the day. The myth of "don't eat after dinner" or after a certain time is exactly that, a myth.

^
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options

This is exactly what I do. I like to eat at night so my earlier eating is lighter, then I can enjoy a larger quantity at night. It keeps me from going over my goals.

Yup. I do like 85% of my eating after I get home from work. I also pre-log my food for the day in the morning, as this helps keep me on track and helps me meet my protein macro.
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    to say that i love snacking is an understatement. i feel everyone's pain on this post. I've been really good lately. I still snack but I portion it out on a plate and never eat out of a bag anymore. i try not to eat dinner until 7. I'll have a snack at 4 pm to hold me over (like a banana) and then i'll do a small snack before i go to bed. its somewhat working. although somedays i wish i could just pig out like i used to!