do i need to lift weights to have a flatter stomach?

Options
lately on MFP, many people suggest lifting weights for a leaner, flatter belly. I dont like lifting to be honest, I am more of a walking/jogging girl myself. so that being said, will i still get the flat belly with my cardio or do i NEED to lift?

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'd Definately advise you to incorporate SOME strength work into your training. I appreciate you don't like it but, in time, you'll love the results.

Just like your cardio start light and gradually increase the weight and/or reps and you'll be fine.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Don't need to lift weights. Just need to lose fat. But just being thin might not produce an optimal result.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    You'll get a flat belly by decreasing body fat. You don' t have to lift but it definitely helps.
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to go full on lifting and work your butt off it really comes down to genetics.

My sister was super skinny but had a belly no matter what. For her, lifting and recomping really helped with her belly!
    While my own problem area is my hips I'd still encourage anyone to do some resistance work! It works for me!

Maybe start with some body weight workouts and see how it goes! If you like the feeling you can still go all out heavy lifting!
  • emaren
    emaren Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Have to ?

Probably not. Eventually, through diet alone, you could probably get there, but really its incredibly tough.

Would it help ?

Hell yeah - using muscles, gaining tone, burning fat - its an awesome way to transform yourself....
  • jigglyone
    jigglyone Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    thx everyone
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No
  • jigglyone
    Options
    No

no what? lol
  • _xXJennXx_
    _xXJennXx_ Posts: 3,290 Member
    Options
    I don't lift weights at all. But I do body weight training.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    you'll probably build muscle under the fat if you work your abs. thus actually making your belly look bigger.
    I find drinking a lot of water gives me a flat stomach
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    so that being said, will i still get the flat belly with my cardio or do i NEED to lift?

No, you don't need to lift to get a flat stomach.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    No

no what? lol

No, you don't need to lift weights to have a flatter stomach.
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Flatter stomach is typically just a matter of losing body fat which is mostly going to be your diet and calories in vs. calories out. Weight lifting will help you burn calories while you're working out and the added muscle will help burn as well.
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it will def help out.. Ive also heard abs are made in the kitchen...
  • jigglyone
    Options
    I think it will def help out.. Ive also heard abs are made in the kitchen...

great! thanks everyone and god bless you!
  • Getawayfromthecake
    Getawayfromthecake Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    try weighted hula hooping. It's fun and really targets your abdominal area. Even if it doesn't get you the results you want to see it's a fun work out!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    lately on MFP, many people suggest lifting weights for a leaner, flatter belly. I dont like lifting to be honest, I am more of a walking/jogging girl myself. so that being said, will i still get the flat belly with my cardio or do i NEED to lift?

:blushing: Oh honey..you don't need to do anything but pay taxes & die.
    Do your cardio if that's what you like, if you reach goal & are unhappy or feel you can do better, search out alternatives like lifting, yoga etc.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I know everyone else has answered this question. BUT . . . I am a runner and a former regular soccer player. That has kept my weight down and my stomach flat. But, I have to say: When I lift . . . and lift heavy . . . my stomach and my core get more toned and muscular and start to look better.
    Do you have to lift? NO. Would it help a lot? Yes, I think it does.
    P.S. I hate doing ab work -- hate sit ups, leg lifts, etc. So, I am not really talking about those. I do those only infrequently. I am talking about compound lifts, like squats and deadlifts, etc. It strengthens your core, a lot.
  • sassabella
    Options
    Not necessarily. Even just some core exercises will help like v sits, double crunches, toe touches etc. Don't need lifting specifically :)

If you do enjoy lifting though, I do agree with others, you can do deadlifts and squats. I love doing both :)
  • jigglyone
    Options
    thx everyone! god bless!