Some my fitness pal questions

Options
I've been using my fitness pal off and on for the last year or so, but I have some questions I haven't figured out yet.

1) My treadmill says that after doing an hour at 3.5-4.5 mph I've burned over 1,000 calories but my fitness pal says that I've only burned 360. Which is right? The treadmill is at a 20% incline and the shock absorption is 6, would that influence anything?

2) My calories that I burn exercising get added into the calories I can eat for a day. If I eat those extra calories, will that make me lose weight still? Or just maintain? I'm confused because the calories burned at the gym are calculated into my weight loss goals plan, but they get added every day I exercise to what I'm allowed to eat for the day.

3)Every time I change my goals, my weight loss sets back to zero, even though I've lost 15 pounds since I started trying (for real) in July. Is there a way to change that? Along those same lines, how does everyone get those neat little tracker things for how much weight they have lost?

Facts about me:
25 yo female
5'9"
SW: 185 CW: 172 GW: ~140-125 (we'll see what looks healthy when I get there!)

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been using my fitness pal off and on for the last year or so, but I have some questions I haven't figured out yet.

1) My treadmill says that after doing an hour at 3.5-4.5 mph I've burned over 1,000 calories but my fitness pal says that I've only burned 360. Which is right? The treadmill is at a 20% incline and the shock absorption is 6, would that influence anything?

2) My calories that I burn exercising get added into the calories I can eat for a day. If I eat those extra calories, will that make me lose weight still? Or just maintain? I'm confused because the calories burned at the gym are calculated into my weight loss goals plan, but they get added every day I exercise to what I'm allowed to eat for the day.

3)Every time I change my goals, my weight loss sets back to zero, even though I've lost 15 pounds since I started trying (for real) in July. Is there a way to change that? Along those same lines, how does everyone get those neat little tracker things for how much weight they have lost?

Facts about me:
    25 yo female
    5'9"
    SW: 185 CW: 172 GW: ~140-125 (we'll see what looks healthy when I get there!)

1) Don't listen to the machine on calories burned and MFP is often wrong as well.. best way is through a HRM (I have a Polar personally)

2) If you are using MFP calculations then eat back your exercise calories - those are not counted in their original calculation. You still need to eat them. I have NEVER stalled out eating my exercise calories back. I currently eat about 1700 per day and have lost 7.5lbs in less than month.

3) You have to hit the check-in option and just put your updated weight in. I can't remember on the ticker - I think it is in Settings.

ETA: I am 5'8", Heavy lifting only, SW 181.5 and CW 174 (I don't care about my weight - prefer body composition)