winter fitness ideas?

Options
I live in WI & am not a fan of walking/running outside during cold weather. I have some workout DVDs but I get so bored and unmotivated with them. Going to a gym is not an option. Does anyone have ideas for working out at home during the colder months?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Body weight exercises and HIIT are good options.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do some google/YouTube searches and you might be able to find something more fun.

Get a jump rope and turn on your favorite TV show/movie. Do the same with a step.

How about ice skating?

Find a tall building or an event center and run stairs when there are few people there.

Mall walking first thing in the morning.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Not really.

What do you enjoy doing?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you don't like outdoor winter sports, you might want to think about changing states. :smile:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    If you don't like outdoor winter sports, you might want to think about changing states. :smile:

^^^This.

I'm as active (if not more) in the winter than I am in the summer.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    attach some 45# plates to your bong :smokin:
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    Have you tried playing DDR? I played hours and hours of that during college and grad school - what a workout!

I second the recommendation you already received regarding HIIT workouts. Check out fitnessblender.com for some (free!) full-length videos. There's quite a variety!
  • leviclampitt
    Options
    Bodyweight exercises will got old real quick. My advice is too see if you can borrow or buy used a KETTLEBELL (25 lbs is a good starting point) and once you level up, move to investing in an EZ BAR with 70 -100 lbs of weight.

Working out at home is tough because all of the distractions. To combat this, you'll need some tools to do some stimulating things (like tough workouts).
  • hmrey76
    hmrey76 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! :)
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    By Gym, do you mean weights/machines or just in general? An indoor pool would be great for aerobics or swimming.
  • sumeetg37
    sumeetg37 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Did my first fitnessblender.com workout the other night, it was good, I needed something low impact but that would get my heart rate going and they actually had a video exactly for that. Plus it's free, and they have tons of videos so if you get bored you just search for something new.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest Fitness Blender, they have a ton of stuff. On YouTube, there's the BeFit Channel that has some of its ow programs and parts of others lie, Denis Austin, JM, etc. you might also like blogilates.com.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I'm in Wisconsin too and love doing Jillian Michaels videos - you can find them on You Tube - not all of them, but some. If you have a Wii or Kinect some of the games probably burn more than you imagine. My body media band has me burning around 10 calories per minute during Just Dance. I'm lame and get into it though lol

Take a deck of cards and make the red cards abs and black cards push ups. Go through the whole deck. If you get a red 8 card you have to do 8 sit ups. If you get a black 10 card, do ten pushups. It's a great workout.

I also work right by a mall and I wouldn't consider it exercise but when it's cold I go walk it. I window shop along the way, too.

If you don't have dumbbells go get a pair. You can do a lot between just using your body weight and adding some dumbbells once in aw hile (and lots of videos - but not all) incorporate them!

Good luck!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Oooh and blogilates. Totally outside my comfort zone but I like the girl that does it and enjoyed the workouts when I'ved one them
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bodyrock.tv/thedailyhiit.com

ZukaLight