Menopause Women - HELP

Options
I'm 47 years old and have been trying to get in shape and lose weight since May. Well this round, started 2 years ago but fell of the wagon and back on track again. Since May 2013, I've lost 33 pounds. I work out regularly and love it. Great stress relief!! I try logging everything (even small bites) except on the days I have special dinners to attend then I don't record EVERYTHING. I know I don't use all my calories but I try to leave room for those miscalculated figures, whether it be from calories burned or food. I'm now at a stand still and not dropping any weight. I've lost maybe a pound in the last 6 weeks. In 2 years I've stopped smoking, stopped drinking Diet coke and have been eating healthier. I love to walk and could do that everyday if it was warm outside! My periods were regular until this month, hot flash from time to time and I can be a hateful "B". I usually take antidepression meds in the fall to help but trying to resist this year because I feel so much better attending the gym. I feel it is because of starting menopause so any others out there struggle? What has worked for you and what hasn't? I need to loose 14 more pounds to be at my goal (not by charts).

Constructive critisim is fine but if you can't relate to my issues, then please don't reply in a negative fashion.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I'd say it has more to do with your eating than anything. If you're logging accurately some days you're barely hitting 700 calories and then exercising off 300 more leaving you with net calories of 400 for the day.

Your body will only put up with that for so long and then it decides it better start saving up whatever it can. That would be the good alternative. Otherwise your body will start using organ and muscle tissue as fuel. That would be the bad alternative.

Figure out your BMR and start eating at least that much.
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'd say it has more to do with your eating than anything. If you're logging accurately some days you're barely hitting 700 calories and then exercising off 300 more leaving you with net calories of 400 for the day.

Your body will only put up with that for so long and then it decides it better start saving up whatever it can. That would be the good alternative. Otherwise your body will start using organ and muscle tissue as fuel. That would be the bad alternative.

Figure out your BMR and start eating at least that much.

Would love to agree but I can't because my logging isn't accurate. I do try but somedays just get the best of me and the small things dont get put in - LOl... I will try to readjust and watch for that
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    menopause has been kicking my but for over 5 years now. I'm 50 and NEVER had a weight issue until this last decade of endless stress and basically just ignoring myself or whining about hot flashes and night sweats. I've been at this for 2 months now and honestly haven't lost a pound (not actuallyl sure as home scale broken and one at gym is not calibrated - ordered new home one last week). I've read many articles over the years and they all say that it is way harder to lose when you are menopausal, so I'm sticking with it for now and hoping for the best. my cycle has slowed down considerably this last year so I'm hoping that I'm at the end of that journey so I can finish this one.:ohwell:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I'm the same age and mine have gone missing for the first time ever. Not sure if it's from diet or peri-menopause but about to gets some tests done.
  • Stinger766
    Stinger766 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 47 and I'm in menopause but my situation is a bit different. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer in May and had a full hysterectomy in June, which put me into immediate menopause. After recovering and having physical restrictions from surgery, I was released to my normal life and began this weight loss journey. I haven't had any problem losing weight but I'm very overweight so maybe that will stop at some point. I agree with other commenter's though, you can't eat too little and you also have to log every single thing to have an accurate picture of what's going on. If nothing else works, see a doctor and it might be that you have some underlying problem you don't know about.

Good luck!
  • ruthrowlett1
    ruthrowlett1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 47 and I'm in menopause but my situation is a bit different. I was diagnosed with uterine cancer in May and had a full hysterectomy in June, which put me into immediate menopause. After recovering and having physical restrictions from surgery, I was released to my normal life and began this weight loss journey. I haven't had any problem losing weight but I'm very overweight so maybe that will stop at some point. I agree with other commenter's though, you can't eat too little and you also have to log every single thing to have an accurate picture of what's going on. If nothing else works, see a doctor and it might be that you have some underlying problem you don't know about.

Good luck!

Thanks for your tips and I hope you are on your way to a full recovery!! best of wishes!