I suck at running :(

Options
I have always struggled with high heart rate when I exercise. I perpetually get VERY red in the face and remain red for quite a while after my work outs. I feel a lot of heat in my head and body too. However, I am disappointed that things do not seem to be improving much. I have been doing a lot of running over the last few months (around 100km per month in lengths normally between 4km and 10km, sometimes the odd longer run).
Last night I attached my HRM for the first time in ages on a 10km run and was alarmed that my heart rate was between 185 and 195 the whole time! Obviously this is not great.

I am feeling very demoralised that my heart rate fitness never seems to improve. I was definitely pushing myself but I feel I do need to be a bit (am training for a half marathon in January).

Here is a bit more background:
- Female, 34 years old
- Approx 121 pounds (55kg)
- Running at about 6:20 per km (down from 7 min per km a few months ago)
- Regularly running for about 3 months, after a long break over winter, prior to that I was running some, but less than I am now
- Had HRM on walking to work (12 minutes, flat, reasonably brisk) and HR was at 130, which seems high for low level exertion

Obviously slowing down is one way of doing it, but I am not exactly a fast runner. I find slowing down doesn't lower my HR that much, and anything slower than 7m/km is not really running anyway.

Does anyone have any ideas? I feel very demoralised about not seeing aerobic fitness improvement, but running a half marathon with a heart rate like that is not a good idea. What can I do about this? I feel like I struggle big time with fitness. Everyone says it gets easier but I never really feel like it does. Support/ideas gratefully received.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I guess my first suggestion would be to talk to your doctor and make sure there aren't any underlying health issues going on.

I stopped wearing my HRM when I run because it was psyching me out to see my HR getting as high as it can. I can easily go over 180 bpm if I am outside running up an incline. Even on the treadmill, my HR would sometimes get upwards of 175 when a fast beat song would come on, even though I haven't changed my pace. So I stopped wearing it and I stopped getting all stressed out about it. That was the best I could do for myself, but I also get heart palpitations, so I've had a couple of stress tests and the doctors have cleared me to run.

I will say, that like you, my face can get really red when I run and there are times that I continue sweating for up to an hour after I get home from running and have taken a shower.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    A - are your HRM setting correct?

B - Have you had your V02 Max tested professionally?

Not everyone has exactly the heart rate base on age and weight you can find. Do you feel like you are over exerting yourself? Do you feel faint or like vomiting? Are there any side effects other than red faced?

Honestly it all depends on the person. You may be one of those people who runs at a higher HR than others. Mine is on the lower side, but then I smoked for a number of years also. The only difference I have found is running at 85% my HR doesn't make me feel like passing out anymore.

I would ask your doctor just to confirm since I'm no medical professional and can only speak from my experience.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    ...and anything slower than 7m/km is not really running anyway.

What? Where did that idea come from. Of course it is running! Lots of people run their entire lives and never go much faster than this.

If it were me, I'd reset the distances and start building up again, at whatever pace produces the appropriate heart rate.
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I suck at running too. That's why I don't do it.

I will walk, bike, rollerblade, swim, skate, cross country ski, do Zumba, do the elliptical, kickbox, or do whatever else you want me to do. I will only run when chased.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    What is your resting heart rate? You can count your pulse just after you wake up while looking at a watch, I would count for 30 seconds and then double. This is the best HR-related mesurement of your current fitness level and a benchmark to improve upon. If you make a habit of checking your morning HR you will also be quickly alerted to if you're coming down with something and overtraining - I know if my HR is above 70 (usually 58-62 bpm) I should probably lay off a little.

ETA: punctuation
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Obviously slowing down is one way of doing it, but I am not exactly a fast runner. I find slowing down doesn't lower my HR that much, and anything slower than 7m/km is not really running anyway.

I"m going to assume that you mean this only in your world. My running may not be what you call it but I bust my butt anyway. I would also suggest you ask a doctor.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    First, why is it obviously bad if your heart rate gets that high? Do you know your true max HR? Mine is WAY off from the online estimates. I have gotten up to about 204 before, when the online calculators say max HR should be 182ish. Obviously mine is much higher. I also tend to workout at a high HR. For my normal, slow runs, I average about 163 bpm now which is a big improvement. I've been running for over a year and a half now. My races, and my fast runs, my average HR is anywhere from 175 to 185 bpm. My resting HR is great, around 55 to 60, but my HR raises really easily (and comes down fast too). I can definitely tell when I'm overexerting.

I am starting to embrace the slower running and have found it's definitely helped my training.
  • kiwilaurie
    kiwilaurie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I feel like I am jogging at 7 min/km. Didn't mean to offend anyone.

I certainly don't feel faint or like I am going to be sick, but sure as heck feel completely wiped out. My heart rate drops back very, very quickly when I stop and I feel very healthy. Back in my pre-exercising days I used to take ages to recover. Now I can stop for 5 minutes and feel like starting up again. That's a huge difference.

I didn't even know you could do proper tests. I wonder where I would go to do that? I will look it up. :)

My resting heart rate is around 65-70bpm.

I think my monitor is set up properly. It is a Polar FT4 and seems to have limited settings. I have checked and all mine are entered correctly.

Thanks for your replies. I am just feeling a bit fearful that this type of exertion could be BAD for my heart.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Competitive runners - who are obviously very fit - will have very high heart rates at racing speeds. Even at my advanced age :tongue: a competitive 5k would result in a heart rate of around 170.

You might find this site illuminating...

http://www.activesalem.com/training/vo2.php
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I hated running, then I got formally diagnosed with asthma. I had only had two attacks in my entire life, which is why I was tested for it, and after medicating, I was shocked at how much easier it was. Just a suggestion.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Definitely agreeing with those folks recommending that you speak with your doctor.

On a lighter note, perhaps a change in perspective might help:) You said you're discouraged that you're not seeing your anaerobic fitness isn't improving. Maybe you need a new goal? I have issues with my lungs collapsing so there was a time when I would get so upset that I couldn't run miles and miles like I used to. I finally accepted that my old goals were no longer feasible due to my health so I changed how I viewed running. I absolutely adore it now because my only goal is to relive stress, not time or distance.

Just my $0.02. Hopefully you get everything figured out!
  • kiwilaurie
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I will go and see my doctor. My gut tells me all is ok with my health but it doesn't hurt to get it checked.
    In the meantime I think maybe I try to slow down a little and see if that helps. I really need to focus on distance but I have been focusing on speed and distance.... I really wanted to beat my last half marathon time but not sure that will happen.

Can someone tell me.... I guess recently I have been burning glucose instead of fat. Does that mean the weight loss I have seen recently (quite quick drops since I started running) is not really real and will come back?
  • RunBrew
    RunBrew Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Before you consider the advice I offer below, Have you ever been told you have a cardiac problem?
    If you feel really uncomfortable, go see your doctor and he's probably going to do basically what I'd tell you to do below, only he'll have a fancy EKG and a treadmill.
    So:
    You have a Heart Rate Monitor....why don't you just find out what your max actually is and decide if 190 is redline or not.
    Run as hard as you can for 2K and see what the number is. You may be surprised and have a really high Max.

All the math and formulas in the world created by experts would tell me that my max HR is 187 but I see 195-200 on my monitor pretty much every week as I power over a random hill or sprint across a random road. I know my HR goes to at least 202.

As for damaging your heart....barring any genetic cardiac problems, it just isn't going to happen. If high intensity could hurt your heart, there'd be A LOT of dead athletes. I'd be one of them. I run my *kitten* into the ground on almost every run. My average HR for a 10 mile run is sometimes in the 180's. (Yes, I know I over-train, and spend alot of time above the LT, thank you)

Rate isn't what damages your heart.
    Back-pressure from clogged and inelastic arteries is what damages your heart. Cardiac muscle is very specialized, and VERY good at what it does.
  • kiwilaurie
    Options
    I don't think I have a cardiac problem.... I seriously hope not! But will have a quick check up at my doctors. I have not seen him for a while anyway. I do think my HR is generally high when I exercise, it always has been, but it just felt a bit extreme on my last run.

I also think maybe I should just slow down a little again and try not to build up speed too quickly.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ...and anything slower than 7m/km is not really running anyway.

What? Where did that idea come from. Of course it is running! Lots of people run their entire lives and never go much faster than this.

It came from jackwagons that don't know anything.

Regarding the heart rate, if there aren't underlying issues, sounds like your fitness might be something you could improve. You might want to add in some endurance work to your running as well as some non-running endurance. Biking is a good one, as is swimming. Both safe, spin class would be sufficient as well.

Look up the fartlek. So, I'd wonder... are you training, or just running? Those are two very different things... if you're just going out there and flailing at the treadmill or the pavement with your feet, that's cool. If you're doing an actual training regimen, then you need to really research it some.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Experienced marathoner here.

You are essentially running full out every time you go out for a run. You will never build any kind of cardio base going at it like that (i.e. get 'fit') for running.. :smile:

Find your heart rate zones, and do the vast majority of your jogging/walking/whatever-you have to do to stay in the aerobic zone, there. Gradually you will find yourself getting faster and faster within your aerobic zone. Once you have built a good base (able to do 20 miles/week or so) at an aerobic zone, you can start doing one day week where you push it into the orange or red zones.
  • kiwilaurie
    Options
    Look up the fartlek. So, I'd wonder... are you training, or just running? Those are two very different things... if you're just going out there and flailing at the treadmill or the pavement with your feet, that's cool. If you're doing an actual training regimen, then you need to really research it some.

Yeah, I guess I am just running, and flailing, like you say. I'm not trying to make excuses, but a training programme is difficult for me - I have 2 very small children, work full time (starting at 6:45am) and am involved in a few charities.... so finding dedicated time is tricky. I try to fit in a run whenever I can - which often means running at 8 or 9pm! As I said, it's just my reality at the moment, but I understand that means I probably won't be able to reach my full potential. I also get that there is a heap of science I don't understand.

I just feel so bitterly disappointed that I am still struggling so much. I am running about 25 - 30km per week for the last few months and it feels like it is getting harder not easier.
  • kiwilaurie
    Options
    Well, I have a doctor appointment tomorrow. Am sure I am all fine but good to check.

I did a 10km run (would have gone longer but it was 10:30pm by the time I was done) and slowed right down to just over 7 mins per km. I kept my heart rate under 175 the whole time. This is still a little high I think, but I felt good and could have carried on a conversation. Also, my face didn't go as red, though that might have been because it was only 6 degrees C outside!

At the end of the 10km I felt like I could keep going, which is the opposite of how I felt on Monday. I added 8 mins to my 10km time though which is a bit of a bummer. Hopefully speed will build again, as I really don't want to come last in this race!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Good work! :drinker: