Sleeping through breakfast

Options
The past few weeks have been really busy for me and weekends hadn't existed, so I was on a strict schedule, eating 3 meals a day. But recently I've had some time off and found myself waking up closer to lunchtime than breakfast (don't judge me, I love sleeping and making the most of it before I have to set the alarm clock again!). Should I eat the calories I would normally have had for breakfast, or as I'm spending more of my day asleep, should I let them slide? When I don't eat them, I don't feel hungry or feel like I need them so I'm kind of in two minds about it.

Me sleeping all day won't be a permanent thing, but on the days I can get away with it, what should I do?

Replies

• rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Most feel you should always try to eat something soon after waking to get the metabolism up and running. If you get up late, then after a healthy breakfast, push back lunch and dinner a bit if needed.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Even if your sleeping more, your probably still awake for 12-16 hours like you normally would be? If so youll make up for it later in the day.
    My schedule is often all over the place, so I dont do breakfast when other ppl do. I just call my meals meal 1, meal 2, meal 3 and eat whenever i want
  • hcook04
    Options
    Thanks guys, I do eat soon after a wake up, its lunchtime by this point haha
    My days are shortened a bit, but I guess it's better to just push my meals back a few hours. Cheers!
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and lunch every day and my metabolism is just fine. Consume the correct amount of calories each day. It doesn't matter when you consume them .
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Most feel you should always try to eat something soon after waking to get the metabolism up and running. If you get up late, then after a healthy breakfast, push back lunch and dinner a bit if needed.

No.

Meal timing is irrelevant. You're fine.
  • sunsetzen
    sunsetzen Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Eat if you're hungry. The name of the meal you eat and the time you eat it at doesnt really matter.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

I am sorry, but science does not support this myth.

Meal timing and frequency have no impact on metabolic rate. Eat your calories for the day during the time you are awake. Eating while asleep can lead to choking.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Unless you are up for less hours in the day a first meal is a first meal it's a break from the fast.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options

No.

Your metabolism isn't a "fire that needs to be stoked". Skipping breakfast for a few days (or even EVERY day, for the rest of forever) will not hinder your weight loss, unless you allow yourself to get so hungry that you binge for lunch and dinner.

There are people here that lose weight doing Intermittent Fasting, meaning they eat all their calories for the day in the space of just a few hours. Their metabolisms are just fine, I promise. If skipping breakfast doesn't affect the way you eat for the rest of the day, then I'd say don't even worry about it.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • Uselessly_Irrelevant
    Options
    Eating while asleep can lead to choking.

V9luOTF.gif
  • Lindsay_1984
    Lindsay_1984 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wait as long as possible before having breakfast. I find that eating breakfast wakes up my appetite, so delaying that as long as possible works for me. I'm usually awake by 7:30am and have breakfast at 10:30am. If I eat breakfast earlier then I find myself hungry at night with no more calories available.

On the weekends I don't wake up until 9 or 10, so I eat my first meal at around noon and consider it lunch.

No matter what time I wake up, I still try to meet my calorie goal of 1600.