HELP!!

Options
Hi, everyone....soooo I want to lose at least 20lbs by Christmas!!!! I want to look super good for New Years :happy: :flowerforyou: I need friends that are commited and motivated!!!! We can do this!!! FEEL FREE TO ADD ME :wink:

Replies

• shreddedadam
    shreddedadam Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm with you on the losing 20 pounds by christmas thing. You're on :D
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, 20 pounds is a lot to lose in 6 weeks. Stats show that 90% of people gain their weight back, so really there is no reason to rush it. Take your time and do it right the first time or you'll be just another person who gets back on mfp a second, third or fourth time to lose the same 30-40lbs over and over again. Trust me, you didn't put the weight on in 6 weeks, so it is not healthy to take it off in 6 weeks. Weight loss is not a destination, but a journey.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Just my two cents, 20 pounds is a lot to lose in 6 weeks. Stats show that 90% of people gain their weight back, so really there is no reason to rush it. Take your time and do it right the first time or you'll be just another person who gets back on mfp a second, third or fourth time to lose the same 30-40lbs over and over again. Trust me, you didn't put the weight on in 6 weeks, so it is not healthy to take it off in 6 weeks. Weight loss is not a destination, but a journey.

Well, aren't you a buzzkill.*

:angry:

(* You're also absolutely right.)
  • brittamh
    brittamh Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you would like
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    Unless you are morbidly obese, that is a very unrealistic goal.
    I would reassess.

:motivationandsupportforyou;:flowerforyou:
  • Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Awww are you guys serious :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Fine I will not push it but I will def try to loose as much weight as possible counting my calories and exercising!!!! I guess I'll be more realistic and try to lose at least 2lbs per week :smile:
  • Stephanie_skinny
    Stephanie_skinny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I really want to be in the 140's by new years!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Awww are you guys serious :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: Fine I will not push it but I will def try to loose as much weight as possible counting my calories and exercising!!!! I guess I'll be more realistic and try to lose at least 2lbs per week :smile:

Sorry to rain on the parade further, but 2lbs a week is generally for those trying to lose 50+ lbs. Any less, and the deficit required to lose 2lbs a week generally includes losing muscle (which you don't want to do!).

Focusing on a goal that's just a number on the scale can lead to anxiety and stress! Try focusing on other things, like health and fitness goals. Maybe aim to get in a certain amount of exercise by Christmas, try to lift a certain amount of weights, or run a certain distance in a certain time. Focusing on those goals can lead to a more positive feeling about your body--all while still losing weight if you watch your calories.

Good luck!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I really want to be in the 140's by new years!

Change that to "sometime in 2014" and you'll have a solid goal (although I still say that scale weight is a lousy metric).

Instead, set goals of things that will likely lead you to this weight goal and enjoy the satisfaction of meeting those goals. These can be much shorter time frame and are more within your control than the complicated (at least over short time frames) scale weight.

(And now I read firstsip's post which is saying the same thing only better...so listen to her instead. :flowerforyou:)
  • tm82001
    tm82001 Posts: 133 Member
    Options

Well, aren't you a buzzkill.*

:angry:

(* You're also absolutely right.)

I can be right??!! Can you tell my husband that!!:laugh: :laugh: