Hypnotising App...?! Weird Experience

Options
Hello Everyone!

I recently got a hypnotising app on my iPhone, and I thought I'd give it a bit of whirl. I'm not claiming that its going to transform me without doing anything - in fact I'm not claiming it has ANY effect whatsoever.

But earlier I came back from work, lay down and put it on. And I can't remember anything from counting down into the trance and then counting up again... is that what's supposed to happen? I know previously to this in yoga classes, I've "tranced" - she was telling us all to relax, and I felt like I was out for hours - I totally blacked out.

Anyone been properly hypnotised? Is this meant to happen?

EDIT: By the way, to pre-empt any negativity, I am doing 30DS and counting cals... just saw it and thought why not!

Replies

• qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    sounds awesome.
  • jennicole4
    jennicole4 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I tried a quit smoking hypnotizing CD once. It worked until I got pissed off at my husband and fell off the wagon - lol. I didn't really "need" a cigarette when I started again, I was just mad and I have always used cigarettes as a stress reliever. I wish I had stuck with it. I think it can work if you really want it to. The question is whether it's from being hypnotized or is it a placebo type effect? If you really believe that your subconscious is working in your favor to help you lose weight, quit smoking, exercise more, etc., it will. When I used the CD, I didn't "black out" per say. I was in a weird sort of trace and when it was over, I didn't remember everything that was said on the CD, but I didn't feel like I had been asleep or totally out of it for 30 minutes either. I didn't smoke for two weeks after that, so it definitely seemed to work. Some people are more easily hypnotized than others. Sounds like you're one of them! I don't see anything wrong with it and I hope that it works well for you!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    self hypnosis with the assist of a smart phone?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    In! No idea what the suggestions were?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    Never heard of it but I like it. What is the exact app? I'm going to buy that sh;t right now...............
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Uh...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    what was it supposed to hypnotize you to do?

i've been under hypnosis before from a person and I remember every moment but was in the trance like state they seek.

unsure why you blacked out? check the directions to see if that was supposed to happen or some kind of warnings about that.

also what are you supposed to do if someone calls, walks in, knocks on your front door, etc. while doing that? all things to suss out before doing it again IMO. for your safety.

ETA: i wonder if you were tired before you did it if you may have napped? I also remember now a cd that same person gave me and again, no sleep, no blacking out, remembered everything but just went into the deeply relaxed trance state and could have safely emerged from it at any time had I heard the door knock or a fire alarm or whatnot. the sounds are far away but they are still there and actionable in a normal hypnosis state. you are conscious in a different way but still aware of your surroundings.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Well anyone who is really impressionable and doesn't care what the post-hypnotic suggestions are encouraged to submit to my . . . uhm . . . "lose weight" hypnosis Skype.

Yes. For . . . losing weight.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I LOVED IT. IT WAS MUCH BETTER THAN CATS. I'M GOING TO BUY IT AGAIN AND AGAIN.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you just didn't fall asleep for a short period of time due to a deep state of relaxation caused by the hypnosis techniques?
  • Linkdapink
    Linkdapink Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It was a totally free app - I didn't buy it! It was called "lose weight with hypnosis"... I found it just cos I was typing in something like "lose weight motivation apps" and that came up. I had previously listened to it, and know what the "suggestions" were - though really its more about keeping up motivation, asks you to picture yourself, and how your "one true self" gives you encouragement, and that you no longer crave fatty or starchy foods.

It's not happened to me since. I've gone into very deep trances, and felt really strange and float-y since, but never totally blacked out. I have a feeling like I may have actually been asleep! I don't think I was in such a deep sleep that I would have not woken up if a bell went off for example - it's just like any other sleep!

Like I said - I'm not here to sing its praises, it might work, it might not, but there isn't any harm in trying! I'm actually really enjoying it, and if nothing else, its really helping me to relax! It's so soothing!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I was hypnotized once by a psychiatrist as an anti-anxiety treatment. I really didn’t think it was going to work but as he counted down I had to open and close my eyes with every number he said and my eyes kept getting heavier and heavier. Then I was in a different state. I could hear everything he said but it sounded like he was really far away and echo-y. I didn’t have a “black-out” experience – I was aware of what was going on and felt like I was in control. I ended up pulling myself out of it before he was done because I was so surprised that it worked that I was trying to remember back to psychology 101 when we studied how hypnosis works.
  • dragonfly123321
    dragonfly123321 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I use hypnosis apps too i thought it was sooo weird at first too. I was thinking wait did i all asleep? so I fast forwarded the hypnosis and listened to what they said and I was like I never heard any of this. So yes I fell asleep and at the end when they said wake up I did. I still think its kinda freaky and weird but I do like it I feel like somehow it may get to my sub conscious.