How do you overcome being embarrassed to workout outside?

Options

Replies

• thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Good motivating music
    A quiet atmosphere
    Xanax
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I do an easy walk in the mornings - it's my standard must do walk (dogs demand it) and then I do my harder stuff at night. I get the "just do it anyway" crowd - but I'm right there with ya. I have found myself jogging short spurts more confidently in the morning walk than I would have and caring less. My stick to it-ness came from nights. and dogs. dang hairy personal trainers.

Sometimes it's no better at night - I live in a small rural town - not much out at night but a random walker and deer - and about 1 car per round of exercise for me. If I'm on my bike guess where the ONE CAR is - yup, right behind me. I always feel self conscious but what am I going to do, jump off the bike and run? I just tough it out. I always imagine it's some dopey teen hurrying home as they scoot around me in their loud truck - and I always imagine they think "look at that fat chick on a bike." But I keep peddling. It is more comfortable for my psyche at night.
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options

That was amazing! Thanks for sharing!!
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Read this!
    http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
    And don't comment on the title before you read it, please. This blog entry is what gave me the kick in the pants that I needed to run! And I just realized that someone shared it before me! lol Great minds think alike! But it's worth a SECOND read! :)
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Just do it. The alternative id not doing anything.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    The following is a blog post

Hey Fat Girl

Yes, you. The one feigning to not see me when we cross paths on the running track. The one not even wearing sports gear, breathing heavy. You’re slow, you breathe hard and your efforts at moving forward make you cringe.

You cling shyly to the furthest corridor, sometimes making larger loops on the gravel ring by the track just so you’re not on it. You sweat so much that your hair is all wet. You rarely stay for more than 20 minutes at a time, and you look exhausted when you leave to go back home. You never talk to anyone. I’ve got something I’d like to say to you.

You are awesome.

If you’d look me in the eye only for an instant, you would notice the reverence and respect I have for you. The adventure you have started is tremendous; it leads to a better health, to renewed confidence and to a brand new kind of freedom. The gifts you will receive from running will far exceed the gigantic effort it takes you to show up here, to face your fears and to bravely set yourself in motion, in front of others.

You have already begun your transformation. You no longer accept this physical state of numbness and passivity. You have taken a difficult decision, but one that holds so much promise. Every hard breath you take is actually a tad easier than the one before, and every step is ever so slightly lighter. Each push forward leaves the former person you were in your wake, creating room for an improved version, one that is stronger, healthier and forward-looking, one who knows that anything is possible.

You’re a hero to me. And, if you’d take off the blaring headphones and put your head up for more than a second or two, you would notice that the other runners you cross, the ones that probably make you feel so inadequate, stare in awe at your determination. They, of all people, know best where you are coming from. They heard the resolutions of so many others, who vowed to pick up running and improve their health, “starting next week”. Yet, it is YOU who runs alongside, who digs from deep inside to find the strength to come here, and to come back again.

You are a runner, and no one can take that away from you. You are relentlessly moving forward. You are stronger than even you think, and you are about to be amazed by what you can do. One day, very soon, maybe tomorrow, you’ll step outside and marvel at your capabilities. You will not believe your own body, you will realize that you can do this. And a new horizon will open up for you. You are a true inspiration.

I bow to you.
    http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

This blog is great! Also, it really does mirror my experience with runners. Runners are very supportive. I am not fast. I am not skinny. I will never win a race. That being said, even when I was dying through my first few 5K races, there were faster runners who came back along the course and cheered everyone else on. You are running. Runners will respect you. If any non-runners don't, just remember that they aren't running at all!
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just go in the evening. Or start on a Sunday morning. There's hardly anyone out before 11am on Sundays.

How to overcome your fear? Just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Use that anxiety to keep you moving.

The only way out is through.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I"m a back of the pack runner myself. There is real camaraderie with people in this group. We are there the longest so we get to make friends with each other LOL
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Yes, you JUST DO IT!! At least you are doing something! More than those sitting on the couch are doing. :)
  • salsasally
    salsasally Posts: 38 Member
    Options

i LOVED this!! thanks for sharing!!!
  • ksmithnh
    ksmithnh Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    All these posts are inspirational. The blog is fantastic! I dont run but I feel the same way even when I go out walking, and especially if I attempt a hike in public :) I feel like everyone I meet on the trail is looking at me with some sort of pitiful look like they dont really believe I'll finish. I used to really let it bother me but I realize that I am so much more important than what any of them might think. Plus it sort of makes me push to prove them wrong. And who knows, maybe someone struggling to get themselves off the couch will see you out there and it will be just the right motivation to get them going!
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Just gotta do it! There's not much you can do but overcome in by, well... doing it! Honestly, nobody is going to even think twice when you run on by. People jog all the time! It's not like you're doing anything odd and uncommon. You're fine!
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    It's just one of those things you have to do...gets easier each time you do it.
    I live by "Dance like no-one is watching."

....the same goes for working out.

Focus on you and not on others. If they say anything snarky they'll regret it when you get to your goal and look better than they ever thought about looking! They'll be jealous. Don't be embarrassed.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    So you feel embarrassed about running.

Let me assure you that when I see anyone running no matter how small, big, old, young, short, tall, fat, muscular, struggling, or popping off a good pace... I'm impressed as well is any other runner for that matter.

You are kicking *kitten* just doing it.
  • RunsSober
    Options
    I run primarily at night. A lot of it has to do with my schedule but I definitely like the anonymity of running in darkness. So I totally get where you are coming from.

Having said that, I think that I have an over-inflated view of myself. I think that when I am in public that I am like an actor on a big stage and the whole audience is watching me. It really isn't that way though. Most people are too caught up in their own lives and certainly aren't sitting around thinking about me and how slow I'm running. Being embarrassed about running outside is certainly a normal way to feel. But it is also ego-driven. I mean what makes me so important that I think that the world revolves around me and my running? It's all in my head. The world doesn't revolve around me. I'm not that important.
  • Mitchlou84
    Options
    When I started doing C25K I was pretty big. I used to wear shorts over my gym leggings, the shorts alone would cause chafing, but the leggings alone made me feel too exposed.

I used to wear my boyfriends hand me down t-shirts so I was well covered too. Being in Australia I was often hot, but made me feel a lot more comfortable.

Other than that though, I just kind of got on with it.
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Punching rude people in the face always works.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I've personally been working on shortening my neck for years, so I can turtle up when threatened.
  • JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I felt really self conscious about running outside. I did most of my runs on a treadmill for a long time, but eventually I got over it and now I love running outdoors and get out there every chance I get. It's hard to push past the feeling that everyone is staring at you, but after a few times out there it will be no big deal. Just keep at it and eventually it will feel very natural. Good luck!