60 Pounds in 6 Months, possible?

I want to lose 60 pounds in 6 months or less. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it possible?
My goal is to do 5 cardio workouts/week and strength training once/day
My current diet plan looks a little like this:
Breakfast: tea
Snack: Blueberries
Lunch: Salad with grilled chicken
Snack: Almonds
Dinner: Raw veggies and beef
12 glasses of water/day at least

Any workout plans that you guys think I should try? Thanks! :)
Also, I'd love some motivation of friends to talk to about this, so add my if you'd like!

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    That sounds very aggressive .. and doesn't look like a lot of food ?

I am sure that you will get lots of advice / comments .. good luck in your journey.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    I would starve on that menu!! :noway:

You need to fuel your body, figure out your BMR and TDEE.

Remember slow and steady.

I don't do date setting, it never works out.

Good luck.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Welcome to mfp, CTD! I've been around here for seven months and love the site. That being said, you have to consider this a lifetime goal, not a six month goal. If you truly want to get away from the weight/diet/yo-yo lifestyle, your whole outlook has to change. I looked at your profile and you said: " I want to feel healthy, I want to feel pretty, I want to feel accomplished, and I want to love myself. "

Those are the same reasons most of us want to lose the weight and get fit. And it takes lots of time and work, and time and work, and time ......

So my humble advice would be to slow down and enjoy the process. Read through the Community forums for ideas and inspiration, and don't consider it a diet but a lifestyle. Good luck and add me as a friend if you'd like.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    How many calories is that a day? That doesn't look like much at all. TBH, I don't think it's a realistic goal. Why six months? Is there a bomb in your pants that will blow up if you don't lose 60 lbs in exactly 6 months? Is a loved one being held for ransom and the ransom is weight loss?
  • To all: I realize that this sounds like a very drastic goal, but honestly I don't eat a lot more than that on an average day anyway. My stomach can't really handle eating too much, my problem is that I eat the WRONG foods. Portion wise, I know this will work for me, and if I'm hungry, I will let myself eat, I'm not going to starve myself.

The last time I lost weight, the only reason why I reached my goal was because I set my standards high. I am not SET on 60 pounds, I'm not going to get myself get caught up in it, which I realize is a really big issue for most people, but I know that I won't be hard on myself. Gaining the weight back was mostly because of trauma in my life that I took advantage of and ended up over eating crappy foods.

The reason why I want it to be 6 months is because I am going on a trip with my family and boyfriend for the first time in 2 years, and I'd like to be able to wear a bathing suit. It's more of a personal goal that I'd like to try and accomplish and to remind myself that I don't want to just lose the weight and then forget about it, I want to lose the weight and then stay healthy, eat healthy, keep of the weight, and keep working out and enhancing my self appearance and health.

Thank you for all the replies!
  • lydiaannepage
    lydiaannepage Posts: 172 Member
    HoW Tall Are You, And What Do You Weigh Currently? If You Have A Lot Of Weight To Lose Then 2Lbs A WeEk Is Possible If You Work Har At It. So Around 48Lbs Would Be More Likely. If You Don't Have As Much To LoSe Then I Would Expect Half Of That.
  • Serah87
    To all: I realize that this sounds like a very drastic goal, but honestly I don't eat a lot more than that on an average day anyway. My stomach can't really handle eating too much, my problem is that I eat the WRONG foods. Portion wise, I know this will work for me, and if I'm hungry, I will let myself eat, I'm not going to starve myself.

The last time I lost weight, the only reason why I reached my goal was because I set my standards high. I am not SET on 60 pounds, I'm not going to get myself get caught up in it, which I realize is a really big issue for most people, but I know that I won't be hard on myself. Gaining the weight back was mostly because of trauma in my life that I took advantage of and ended up over eating crappy foods.

The reason why I want it to be 6 months is because I am going on a trip with my family and boyfriend for the first time in 2 years, and I'd like to be able to wear a bathing suit. It's more of a personal goal that I'd like to try and accomplish and to remind myself that I don't want to just lose the weight and then forget about it, I want to lose the weight and then stay healthy, eat healthy, keep of the weight, and keep working out and enhancing my self appearance and health.

If you want to keep the weight permanently off you need to lose it slowly. Eating very little will not help and could lead to binges, also lead to muscle loss, hair loss and brittle nails. Why not just lose it slowly?
  • HoW Tall Are You, And What Do You Weigh Currently? If You Have A Lot Of Weight To Lose Then 2Lbs A WeEk Is Possible If You Work Har At It. So Around 48Lbs Would Be More Likely. If You Don't Have As Much To LoSe Then I Would Expect Half Of That.

lydiaannepage, I am 5'3, I currently weigh 183lbs. I am hoping to lose 2.5-3 pounds/week, but I realize that 2 pounds is a more realistic goal, so I wouldn't be upset if I lost that amount.
  • To all: I realize that this sounds like a very drastic goal, but honestly I don't eat a lot more than that on an average day anyway. My stomach can't really handle eating too much, my problem is that I eat the WRONG foods. Portion wise, I know this will work for me, and if I'm hungry, I will let myself eat, I'm not going to starve myself.

If you want to keep the weight permanently off you need to lose it slowly. Eating very little will not help and could lead to binges, also lead to muscle loss, hair loss and brittle nails. Why not just lose it slowly?

christianwife, I am not eating little though, the thing is, my diet plan is not any less that I would eat on a normal day anyway. I have a very small stomach, and my main problem has been WHAT i've been putting in my stomach. I am by no means going to starve myself, and as I said, if I feel hungry, I will allow myself to have a little bit more. I am going to workout based on how many calories I need to lose for the day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member
    At your weight of 183lbs, 2.5lbs a week might be fine in your first month or so, but as your weight lowers, so does your metabolic rate, which makes it more difficult to maintain. And losing weight too fast doesn't help with loose skin either. Better to approach it with losing a goal weight of 1% of your body weight a week so body adjusts better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    Doctors recommend you do not lose more than 2 lbs a week - 60 pounds in 6 months works out to 2.5 lbs a week. Also, generally speaking, the more realistic your diet is the more likely you are to keep it off. So yea, it might be possible to lose 60 lbs in that time frame - but the moment you stop eating such a low calorie diet (and you'll want to stop eventually), it's all going to come back because it will have stuck your body in starvation mode. No good. You should be making a lifestyle change, not a diet.

If I was you, I would shoot for 24 lbs in the first three months (2 lbs a week) and 18 lbs in the second three months (your weight loss tends to slow over time). So that works out to 42 lbs in six months.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    I was 180 in April, I am 125 now. I have worked hard. Its possible. :)
  • I was 180 in April, I am 125 now. I have worked hard. Its possible. :)

jillianbeeee, wow, that's amazing! congrats on your loss! what did you do to lose this weight? you can inbox me if you'd rather tell me there. =)
  • Doctors recommend you do not lose more than 2 lbs a week - 60 pounds in 6 months works out to 2.5 lbs a week. Also, generally speaking, the more realistic your diet is the more likely you are to keep it off. So yea, it might be possible to lose 60 lbs in that time frame - but the moment you stop eating such a low calorie diet (and you'll want to stop eventually), it's all going to come back because it will have stuck your body in starvation mode. No good. You should be making a lifestyle change, not a diet.

If I was you, I would shoot for 24 lbs in the first three months (2 lbs a week) and 18 lbs in the second three months (your weight loss tends to slow over time). So that works out to 42 lbs in six months.

aelphabawest, thank you for the advice, I realize this may happen, but I am going to take it a week at a time and just see where it goes from there. I don't eat a very low calorie diet, I eat 1200 calories~ which makes me feel full without forcing myself to believe I'm full because I eat very low carbs and lots of protein, greens, and good fats. This is a lifestyle change, as I've been eating a lot of junky foods and I know that this works for me to keep weight off (as I mentioned before).
  • At your weight of 183lbs, 2.5lbs a week might be fine in your first month or so, but as your weight lowers, so does your metabolic rate, which makes it more difficult to maintain. And losing weight too fast doesn't help with loose skin either. Better to approach it with losing a goal weight of 1% of your body weight a week so body adjusts better.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

ninerbuff, thank you for the advice, I will keep that in mind.
  • Serah87
    I'm 5'2 and eat between 1600-2000 calories and I eat junk food, see ticker below.

1200 calories is not enough to fuel your body!!
  • kristensaav
    kristensaav Posts: 41 Member
    I don't know a whole lot. You need to eat more though. Especially for breakfast and keep spreading your meals out throughout the day. I found this article on this blog today that might help you with your eating. http://honeywerehome.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-eat-clean-meals.html. Go to that website and read the article by Jamie Easton. Make sure you don't under eat too. If I have learned one thing it is that under eating on your calories while working out will only slow you down in the long run. Read the article.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    I have 30 more lbs to lose and I am planning to take 12-15 months to do it. I want to have energy to work out and get fit. 2-3 lbs per month.

I really advocate the "slow and steady" approach. :smile:
  • cayoo
    cayoo Posts: 171 Member
    I've managed to lose over 110pds since January first but it wasn't easy one bit lots of sacrifices but it is possible just make sure to talk to your family doctor
  • Possible!!!! i lost 30 in 3 months. So 60 in 6 months is possible. GOOD LUCK! 1 Hour stationary bike a day was the trick for me =]. and of course strict diet. DONT HAVE CHEAT DAYS but its okay to have a cheat MEAL. just don't over do it. GOOD Luck!