How do YOU squat?

Options
Hello, all!

I'm currently doing the 30 Day Squat Challenge and before doing so, I read up on squat techniques and all the like and I found that there's A TON of different ways to squat and even more opinions on what technique is correct, what technique incorrect, and what TYPES of squats are good and which are "bad for you".

So I'm here to ask- how do YOU squat? "*kitten* to grass"? 90 degrees down? Shoulder width apart, or a wider stance etc?

Replies

• navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Feet slightly wider than shoulder, toes pointed slightly outward, hands gripped as close together as is comfortable, bar low and elbows back, and *kitten* to the grass.

Rigger
  • SmileCozYouCan
    SmileCozYouCan Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I pretend that you have a tail like a dog or cat and raise it up from your butt, then squat down. Sounds weird, xD I know. But it really works out your butt and thighs.
  • cm1458
    cm1458 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Feet slightly wider than shoulder, toes pointed slightly outward, hands gripped as close together as is comfortable, bar low and elbows back, and *kitten* to the grass.

Rigger

^^^ this
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Rigger

^^^ this

Yes. Ditch the 30 day challenge and do weighted squats
  • UCSMiami
    UCSMiami Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kawBY5p29fQ

I studied this gentleman's videos, Mark Rippetoe, to learn how to squat and deadlift.
  • SweetlyVague
    SweetlyVague Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Rigger

^^^ this

I'm not going to ditch the challenge lol. I'm enjoying it and it's a little something I add to my day in the office (I do 12 hour shift work as a dispatcher).
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

Rigger

^^^ this

I'm not going to ditch the challenge lol. I'm enjoying it and it's a little something I add to my day in the office (I do 12 hour shift work as a dispatcher).

K
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

Rigger

^^^ this

^^^ This
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtfdRClyYmo&feature=youtu.be

Tonight's squat training. Not atg, but low enough for white lights. Rep two was no good.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Crease of the hip below top of the kneecap. Chest up, lower back tight. Toes pointed out slightly.
  • glwerth
    glwerth Posts: 335 Member
    Options

Rigger

What she said.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I like to mix it up and do a variety of squats. Regular squats, ski squats, sumo squats, squat jumps, squat jacks...
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Legs shoulder-width apart, toes pointed forward, *kitten* lower than 90 but above grass (for now) and using a barbell on the squat rack. Back straight as possible.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Crease of the hip below top of the kneecap. Chest up, lower back tight. Toes pointed out slightly.

This^ w/barbell on back. Absolutely no need to go ATG.
  • MisterDerpington
    Options

That's the definition of parallel. Not "ATG." Even bodyweight, that's the correct way to do it. Squatting above parallel can put more force on the knee even with bodyweight.
  • sybrix
    sybrix Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I don't have access to a barbel, and body weight squats require a lot of reps for me to really feel like I'm working it enough.

So.. I tried goblet squats out of an exercise book I bought a while back, with a 20 lb dumbbell. After about 5 my heart rate was way up and I was struggling. So goblet squats have my vote!

20100615-lose-last-10-pounds-5-600x411.jpg

I tend to feel squats in my hamstrings more than my glutes... Not sure if I'm engaging my butt muscles enough. :\ I find glute bridges more foolproof if I want to really feel it in my butt. There are some crazy variation of those that nearly murder my behind.

glutebridge.jpg
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

That's the definition of parallel. Not "ATG." Even bodyweight, that's the correct way to do it. Squatting above parallel can put more force on the knee even with bodyweight.

Huh? I was not referring to your post when I mentioned ATG. I think I know the difference between ATG & just below parallel
  • MisterDerpington
    Options

Huh? I was not referring to your post when I mentioned ATG. I think I know the difference between ATG & just below parallel

Herpaderp. Misread your reply. My bad.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Low bar back squat. Arms wide, elbows back and up, hands resting on top of the bar. Bar on the shelf of the rear delts.

Legs a little wider than shoulder, toes pointed slightly out.

Controlled on the way down, keeping most of the weight towards my heels. Breaking parallel, slightly more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ATG- or as close to possible- depends on variation- OH squats are deeper- but I have super low reps. Heavier back squats are just true parallel. Fronts are full depth.

High bar- back squats
    Over head squat
    front squat