protein powder

Options
Hello. I have been making smoothies with old fashioned oats and plain Greek yogurt. Normally I use a small banana, almond milk, and whatever fruit I want or 2 tbsp of peanut butter. I usually drink these in the morning and for lunch on days I have class. I'm wondering if it would be better to make my smoothies with a protein powder instead of the oat/yogurt combo? if so, what brand would you suggest? I've had herbalife before and thought it tasted good but I don't like Body by Vi.

P.S. I normally use 1/3 cup oats and 1/3 cup Greek yogurt

Replies

• ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    anyone?
  • MantisToboggan_MD
    MantisToboggan_MD Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Muscle Milk gluten-free powder. I've only had chocolate and vanilla but they're both pretty good.

I've added 1 or 1.5 scoops to oatmeal with a little splenda and it makes a hearty breakfast.
  • bigdaddyjbo
    Options
    I like Designer Whey or Muscle milk. Here is a tasty shake
    - 1 scoop Chocolate Muscle Milk
    - 1 tablespoon Peanut butter
    - 8 oz 1% milk
    - 1 banana
    -1 tablespoon honey
    - ice

Blend, makes a great post workout shake

hope this helps
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I upped my protein level and found it difficult to make my numbers, so I decided to use a protein mix. The most cost effective protein powder I found was Optimum Pro Complex. You can find a 4.6lb tub (29 x 60g servings) for around $60 online. At that price, you can get 30g of protein for about $1.10. As far as taste goes, I view it as supplement not a desert, so it only needs to taste good enough to get it in my belly, which means I find all protein mixes to be varying degrees of OK tasting.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    thank you! your responses are greatly appreciated
  • rayfu75
    rayfu75 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk Whey Protein is my personal favorite. I add protein to smoothies and sometimes just protein powder mixed with coconut water.
  • NzBuilt
    NzBuilt Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Try protein powder cyclops yoghurt pineapple banana honey and cinamon blead all up, makes good pre workout and post drink and good recovery drink.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I would just get a good clean powder (no long list of additives to make it taste fancy) and just add it to your current smoothie.
    The ingredients in mine are natural soy protein and.....oh wait, that's it
    I will be honest I am not a brand slave, I usually buy what is on special. My current one, 26g protein per serve, 13 serves, was half price $10 Australia. I bought 4. I can't say it tastes good, but Its not a meal, I just drink it post workout then eat my fruit or nuts or whatever. :smile:
  • Jacquie8981
    Jacquie8981 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Arbonne's protein powder. It's vegan! So all veggie proteins and much more easily digestible. Plus it tastes good :) Also gluten free! <3<3<3<3

I prefer the vanilla as it mixes better in with my smoothies than the chocolate (which is better on its own, or with banana). PS I'm a consultant so I also <3 that I get paid to drink the things too...so I'm a bit biased :P

(http://www.arbonneinternational.co.uk/shop_online/showitem.asp?ProductId=2070&menuId=&withLinks=1&lang=eng#sthash.he83D5pb)

I've heard women shouldn't have too much soy as it can mess with their hormones...too much estrogen or something?!?! I don't know the truth in that. Also - my doctor told me that whey protein can limit the absorption of some antibiotics and things like that...

Overall I agree with JackieLou867 and get the cleanest you can find!!
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    these all sound good
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    another friend of mine suggested muscle max but said it was a little pricey
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Herbalife and Body by Vi aren't protein shakes.

Just get a nice simple whey protein powder that is about 80g protein per 100g. That's where the competitive market is.

Less than that and you're usually paying for fancy carbs or nonsense like CLA.
    More than that and you're overpaying for extra concentrations that you don't really need.
  • mkf444
    Options
    I really love Trader Joe's hemp protein powder. They sell it in vanilla and chocolate (I personally like the vanilla better). It's great also because it provides you with every essential amino acid and it's a good source of fatty acids as well.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've tried Optimum Nutrition (Double Chocolate and Extreme Chocolate), BodyTech WheyTech 24 (chocolate and banana) and Dymatize Elite XT (Fudge Brownie).

Of these, Dymatize has the best flavor by far, and when it's on Amazon sale it was fairly inexpensive ($31 for a 4.4 lb tub)
    The WheyTeck on sale had the best price ($72 for two 5lb tubs) but the flavor is only decent for mixing with other things. I use them to mix with Fage 2% fat yogurt for breakfast.

ON is great, but expensive at $50+ per 5 lb tub.

All of them blend well and mix well with a shaker cup with water, milk, or almond milk depending on your preference.

Whey protein powder is food, that's all.

(EDIT: Typing is hard!)
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have only used Herbalife but I like it and it works for me so that would be my recommendation :)
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk Light in Chocolate.... yummm!!! Definitely the best tasting, imo.
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    thank you for the suggestions
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    has anyone ever tried Designer Whey Protein Powder
  • ashleyShades
    Options
    ?
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    No. It falls far below the standards I've set, so unless it's ridiculously cheap, why bother with protein that's less than 65% protein?