Weight loss protein shake?

Options
2»

Replies

• howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I suggest just making your own shakes/smoothies. I use almond milk, whatever fruit I have around (fresh/frozen) and protein powder.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hey hons,

What protein shake would you recommend that'll keep me full and assist with weight loss?

Thank you!

-Roe
    None. Protein shakes are for people who are attempting to bulk and don't want to (or physically can't) eat enough nutrients to do it. You can easily get your daily allowance of protein without them.

Those people are usually on steroids or are fat men deluded into thinking that they need them, though.

1000x500px-LL-c28b345c_gleason_not_sure_if_serious.jpeg
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not really going to aid in weight loss. They'll help you hit your macros, which is good for body composition, but calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. I do find protein powder to be sating but no more so than whole food protein sources.

Personally I use the cheap stuff-- Body Fortress from Walmart. It's 30 grams of protein per scoop for 170 calories. It might not be the best out there but it fits my budget and it's easy to come by. I hear a lot of people recommend Optimum Nutrition. It's supposed to be one of the better products out there. You also might consider Quest bars. I don't personally care for the fruit ones but the chocolate and cookie dough ones are quite good.

My advice is just to get one and try it. Get the smallest container you can in case you don't like it.

And /thread.

Yup
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    On Dr Oz the other day he mentioned a Caesin protien shake recipe for weight loss. Also on the show he mentioned adding whey protien powder to oatmeal, muffins, or other breakfast foods. I plan on hitting up the health food store tomorrow to check some out.

Any time I see a sentence start with "On Dr Oz" my brain switches off and I can't read any more :ohwell:
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I really like Allmax Decadent Chocolate Milkshake. :love: :love: Surprising, cuz am not really a "chocolate shake" person,,,,more a "vanilla" :laugh:

I mix 1 34 gm scoop with 5oz milk & a cup of ice cubes in my Vitamix. I also add 2 T of Hershey Cocoa Powder to deepen the chocolate. It whips up really thick like the Wendy's Frostee's. Volume-wise, it makes a lot. So sometimes I'll stick 1/2 in the freezer for a frozen slush later....

Its really more like a treat than a healthy thing and yes I've been accused of cheating:wink::laugh:
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I've done Body Fortress (the cheapest at Wal-Mart) and have gotten along fine. I also have used EAS Lean and stooped as low as Slim Fast. (Don't bother with the Slim Fast. It's cheap, but has nothing in it) I drink one every morning as it is great breakfast on the run. I don't have time to sit down and eat so I mix some skim milk or almond milk, a scoop of powder, a banana or other frozen fruit, a dash of cinnamon and a few ice cubes into my Magic Bullet, poor into a mug and out the door I go. I have done this for over a year.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Hey hons,

What protein shake would you recommend that'll keep me full and assist with weight loss?

Thank you!

-Roe
    None. Protein shakes are for people who are attempting to bulk and don't want to (or physically can't) eat enough nutrients to do it. You can easily get your daily allowance of protein without them.

Those people are usually on steroids or are fat men deluded into thinking that they need them, though.

*kitten*, I didn't realise I was bulking drinking these!!! I better go get some steroids :D

OP: any shake will do if it fits your cals and macros :)
  • treesa101
    Options
    I make my own smoothie with up to .5 c greek yogurt fat free of coarse 1.5 c frozen fruit 1 lemonade mixin 10 oz water and 1 packet of sweetner of choice it satisfies is good protein and lo cal
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options

HA!

<--- me, the non-bulking, non-steriod, not-fat chick who utilizes protein shakes because some days it IS difficult to get 110-130 grams of protein.
    You just proved my point. You don't know what you're doing wrt diet just like the fat meatheads I referred to.

You don't need 110 - 130 g of protein. You need 1.8 g of protein per kg of lean body mass max, max means someone who does an extensive, advanced strength training routine everyday to use it. You need to have 134 lbs of lean body mass minimum (NOT total weight.... that would be 167 lbs for a woman at 20% bodyfat) in order to need 110 g of protein/day.

Yet you say you're not bulking, so nope. Female? As a rough estimate, you probably only need about half that, which can be obtained by eating a sandwich, eating a bowl of oatmeal, and drinking a glass of milk.

And most men delude themselves into thinking that they have that much muscle and drink protein shakes to get up to 200 g/day, when in reality most need 70-100 g protein/day while on a strength training routine.

But keep thinking you need that much protein and wasting your money on powders.

EDIT: Doing protein shakes as a meal replacement is different than drinking a protein shake in addtion to your normal meals. I was speaking to the latter wrt my earlier comment. The meal replacement option is okay, although I personally find it not very tasty nor hunger satisfying. YMMV.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for more then just a protein shake to help make sure that get your daily probiootics in and your green veggies in that you may not get in for that day then check out Six Star Plant Based Protein. A good highly recommended a plant based protein shake and shes loosing weight not "bulking up" and Ive been using it for almost a month now and I havent gained a lb from this yet http://www.sixstarpro.com/products/instant_smoothie/
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    *friend
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    Not a big fan of shakes; whole foods... Have tried vegetables? A mix of Carrots, celery, and insert fibrous vegetable gets you full; destroys your appetite and has almost zero calories; fiber, micronutrients. Then for protein do 1 part fat free cottage cheese 1 part fat free greek yogurt, cinnamon, splenda, a ton of chopped fruit and nuts. Lots of other ideas than shakes.

But as far as shakes go:
    Look at consumer reports. I can tell you never to get muscle milk; as 3 serving puts you right under the safe limit of heavy metals. Optimum Nutrition, MTS Nutrition are the two good ones I've heard of.

But again; you don't need a lot of protein; unless your interested in retaining mass then 1.8-2.0g per kilogram will do; which will only work if your doing heavy resistance training 2-3 times a week. Whatever the case; I wouldn't waste my money on them.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey hons,

Thank you!

-Roe

Actually, no protein shake will help you lose weight. You can eat a good balanced meal that has the same calories as a protein shake. The only thing required to lose weight is to eat less calories than you burn.

For the best protein shake in the world, look in your own frig, fruit bowl, and the peanut butter jar in the cabinet. :smile:
  • Jacqadactle
    Jacqadactle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I like designer whey, it tastes better. Whey isolate is a good choice if you find one you like.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes are not really going to aid in weight loss. They'll help you hit your macros, which is good for body composition, but calorie deficit is what causes weight loss. I do find protein powder to be sating but no more so than whole food protein sources.

Personally I use the cheap stuff-- Body Fortress from Walmart. It's 30 grams of protein per scoop for 170 calories. It might not be the best out there but it fits my budget and it's easy to come by. I hear a lot of people recommend Optimum Nutrition. It's supposed to be one of the better products out there. You also might consider Quest bars. I don't personally care for the fruit ones but the chocolate and cookie dough ones are quite good.

My advice is just to get one and try it. Get the smallest container you can in case you don't like it.

I went out to the local Vitamin Shoppe and picked up a tub of Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate this weekend after trying to eat the Body Fortress stuff. So, where should I ship my half eaten tubs of Chocolate and Strawberry Body Fortress? The flavor in Optimum Nutrition is worth the extra cost IMO.

Best Quest bar ever: White Chocolate Raspberry
    Nutrition for most quest bars...
    Calories: 160-200
    Protein: 20g
    Fiber: 17-18g
  • Monroe121
    Monroe121 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I appreciate it.