What is the normal amount of calories should a person have

Options
for example if i eat 1200 calories then gym... must i eat the amount of calories that i lost in gym in order to lose weight... sorry this is really confusing... :frown:

What is the normal amount of calories should a person eat per day in order to lose weight.... how do u work it out..

I am new at this and i want to work it out so it runs smoothly..

Thanks for helping

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    for example if i eat 1200 calories then gym... must i eat the amount of calories that i lost in gym in order to lose weight... sorry this is really confusing... :frown:

What is the normal amount of calories should a person eat per day in order to lose weight.... how do u work it out..

I am new at this and i want to work it out so it runs smoothly..

Thanks for helping

yes, if you are using MFP then you should eat back the calories you burn when exercising.

there is no set 'normal' amount, it depends on each individual... but you can work it out for yourself by putting all your info into MFP and it will give you a calorie goal to stick to.
  • shirieshipp
    shirieshipp Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The "normal" amount is 2000 calories, but you want to have enough calories in your body and never want to go into negative calories because of the starvation mode which won't help you. That's how I think it is but not 100% also don't forget the protein!! :smile:
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    it depends, whats your normal life style?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    How long is a piece of string?

There is no normal without knowing your stats. Enter everything into MFP then eat according to your goals :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The "normal" amount is 2000 calories, but you want to have enough calories in your body and never want to go into negative calories because of the starvation mode which won't help you. That's how I think it is but not 100% also don't forget the protein!! :smile:

you are thinking about the average calorie consumption for women who are maintaining their weight.
  • maffff
    maffff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

this may help [and the concept alongside MFP has helped me lose 41lbs without feeling like I'm dieting]
  • micheypeach
    micheypeach Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A lot of the time it is trial & error hun.

I started on 1200 net (1200 + eating your exercise calories) and I lost for the 1st couple of weeks but then the weightloss stopped. I also struggled with this low amount!

I then played around & looked at what my daily calorie need was based on my age, weight & how much exercise I generally do.

I finally settled on 1600 net calories a day and I had a steady weight loss on that.

It depends on what works for you as a person.

HTH
    x
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Calorie needs are going to be based on your personal stats. MFP gives you a calorie goal with a deficit built in. This number is without exercise, so you can lose steadily without working out. MFP assumes you will eat you exercise calories to leep your original deficit in tacked. If you don't eat them back you are creating an even larger deficit and that is not always a good thing.

I personally am losing half a pound to a pound a week at 2500 to 2700 calories.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different but I think the 'normal' woman (and the vast majority) can maintain on roughly 2000 calories a day and lose a lb. a week or so on 1500ish. MFP tries to make it into rocket science.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    The calories you need for maintenance depend on your age, weight, bodyfat percentage, and lifestyle. To lose weight, you would subtract a percentage from the maintenance calories to lose weight. The percentage depends on how quickly you want to lose and what is sustainable.
  • lynn900
    lynn900 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... :) this really helps... :)
    :flowerforyou: