Breastfeeding

Options
OllyReeves
OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
So in the UK they're talking about giving financial incentives for new Mothers to breastfeed.

Now I'm not questioning that breastfeeding is obviously good for a baby, but is being bottle fed that bad? I mean there are obviously plenty of kids that can't be breastfed for various reasons...are they really at such a disadvantage?

Replies

• RachelBiancaxx
    RachelBiancaxx Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I couldn't physically breastfeed and I don't think bottle feeding is bad. It provides all the nutrition that babies need and in some cases can be healthier than breast milk anyway (depending on mothers diet)
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I couldn't physically breastfeed and I don't think bottle feeding is bad. It provides all the nutrition that babies need and in some cases can be healthier than breast milk anyway (depending on mothers diet)

Same here and now have a happy, healthy, strong 9 year old
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options

Only did it up to 9 weeks when I had to go back to work, and it did her no harm. Have to say though the formula stuff my grandson has smells awful! It has fish oil in it apparently, god knows why because as far as I know fish oil isn't in breast milk!!!
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is better than using formula. Yes, babies survive on formula, but they are no longer recommending it. Think about this, You have Maple syrup, and Imitation Maple syrup. One is natural, the sap from trees, the other is from corn starch. Real Maple syrup is rich and full of flavor, yet thin, Imitation, has less flavor and is far thicker. Yet they both do what they are suppose to.

Formula is not 'bad' per say, But we've since discovered there are far more benefits of breastfeeding that can't be accomplished though formula. For instance, breastfeeding gives the babies the mothers immune system, antibodies are passed though it. We can not yet lab crate those antibodies though formula. Babies on formula, may have more allergies, and be more sickly than those who have been breastfed. Formula, is also not nearly as refined as breast milk. Breast milk is very simple to digest for the baby, While formula can not achieve that level of simplicity, babies that are breast fed tend to have fewer stomach aches.

The problem is our society pushed (at least in the U.S.) women to use formula as being 'better' for the baby. Now, we are trying to switch it back, because science is not as developed as human biology.
    Its perfectly fine to use formula, it is just not recommended as being the 'best' anymore. They really encourage women to at least breastfeed for the first few months now, to give the babies those much needed antibodies.

~ Pregnant with baby #1 and recently did research, on the topic. I have decided to solely breastfed.
  • RachelBiancaxx
    Options

Only did it up to 9 weeks when I had to go back to work, and it did her no harm. Have to say though the formula stuff my grandson has smells awful! It has fish oil in it apparently, god knows why because as far as I know fish oil isn't in breast milk!!!

That sounds foul. Why would they put fish oil in it?
  • RachelBiancaxx
    Options
    Breastfeeding is better than using formula. Yes, babies survive on formula, but they are no longer recommending it. Think about this, You have Maple syrup, and Imitation Maple syrup. One is natural, the sap from trees, the other is from corn starch. Real Maple syrup is rich and full of flavor, yet thin, Imitation, has less flavor and is far thicker. Yet they both do what they are suppose to.

Formula is not 'bad' per say, But we've since discovered there are far more benefits of breastfeeding that can't be accomplished though formula. For instance, breastfeeding gives the babies the mothers immune system, antibodies are passed though it. We can not yet lab crate those antibodies though formula. Babies on formula, may have more allergies, and be more sickly than those who have been breastfed. Formula, is also not nearly as refined as breast milk. Breast milk is very simple to digest for the baby, While formula can not achieve that level of simplicity, babies that are breast fed tend to have fewer stomach aches.

The problem is our society pushed (at least in the U.S.) women to use formula as being 'better' for the baby. Now, we are trying to switch it back, because science is not as developed as human biology.
    Its perfectly fine to use formula, it is just not recommended as being the 'best' anymore. They really encourage women to at least breastfeed for the first few months now, to give the babies those much needed antibodies.

~ Pregnant with baby #1 and recently did research, on the topic. I have decided to solely breastfed.

I think it's fairly obvious that formula isn't the 'best' option for a baby's nutrition, I mean, we produce milk for one reason only. But formula IS the next best option.

Congrats on your pregnancy, your decision to breastfeed only is a good one.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    There are just so many benefits to breastfeeding that formula doesn't have. All women should do it if they can. I breastfed 3 of my 4. I had my youngest at 14 and was to immature to be able to handle the breastfeeding idea.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

^^^This. Well said.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I would think that not having to buy expensive baby formula should be incentive enough?

Seriously--to each her own...

I breastfed nearly exclusively, but my son was very high maintenance and required formula in the early days when we were trying to figure things out. He also weaned himself at 9 months (couldn't be bothered to sit still for long enough to breastfeed) and once my freezer stock ran out we had to resort to formula again.

Breastfeeding is not nearly as easy and instinctual as one would think it to be, and I know it's not for everyone.
  • mummygettingfit
    mummygettingfit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just remember - just because you WANT to breast feed doesn't mean you will be able to! With my first baby I had plenty of milk etc etc BUT we just couldn't get the breast feeding working. So I had the amazingly fun task of expressing then feeding. (Not fun at all honestly) I think that lasted 3 months. Then formula fed him and he's doing great! Now my second baby loves to breast feed - so lucky, he got it straight away.

So yes breast feeding is best BUT if you cannot - do NOT feel bad that you need to use formula. =D
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I wanted to breastfeed - even ended up going back into hospital as my LO lost so much weight and after five days the docs had to sit me down and say that I'm not bale to produce any milk.

I tried again with baby number 2 and ended up in so much pain that I had to stop plus no milk again. Feeling like a failure helped to cause my severe PND.

Baby 3 no PND and straight onto bottle. Baby 4 I tried but not producing anything so onto bottle within days. Doctors have put it down to a medical condition i have.

Lots of women want to breastfeed and know it is better for the baby but many cant or dont have the right support. Penalising them is wrong - and how are the midwives/Health Visitors suppose to check?
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    That's cool, thanks for your input :) I was just thinking about Mummies that I know that have wanted to but just haven't been able to, and also I was thinking of foster parents and Mummies that adopt. Obviously, they have no choice.

Thanks all.
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I didn't breast feed. I didn't even try, as I decided I didn't want to do it before he was born.

Next one will be bottle fed too.

I wasn't breastfed and I turned out alright.

I couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks, each to their own.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    in for use of the word "breast"
  • TripleRadiance275
    TripleRadiance275 Posts: 148 Member
    Options

Good for you'! I breastfed baby number 1 for 11 months and then switched her to whole milk the triplets I made it to six months before I couldn't keep up with them anymore and they got formula for 5 months.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    not a mother. but i have eyes and ears and a mind and i am aware that we've had generations of ppl grow up having been bottle-fed babies that have turned out just fine. i've got nothing against promoting breastfeeding in general but i really don't think it's that big of a deal...
  • x311Tifa
    x311Tifa Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I didn't breast feed. I didn't even try, as I decided I didn't want to do it before he was born.

Next one will be bottle fed too.

I wasn't breastfed and I turned out alright.

I couldn't give a crap what anyone thinks, each to their own.

My sentiments as well. I just can't get over how weird I think it is... Stigma attached to it, I guess.
  • I was thankfully able to breastfeed my daughter. She was 1yr old when I stopped. She was a very healthy baby and is still fairly healthy 14yr old.

I know it's not something everyone can do, but if you can you should. I'm terminally lazy so breastfeeding was perfect for me. And thankfully she took to it immediately. She had formula for her first feeding and I was afraid she would latch on the first time I fed her. Lucky for us both she did.

I would have loved an incentive for me to breastfeed! Maybe more women would try it that way. That to me would be a win-win situation.

Just my opinion.
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I breast fed my daughter for 6 months. Then started feeding her Similac Advanced. She hardly ever gets sick and I believe firmly that it is because she was BF. But saying this, she did spit up a lot more being BF then bottle fed. As soon as I fed her the similac, she stopped spitting up so much. A lot of people don't know this, but the Similac Advanced is actually a milk based product. So switching her to whole milk was a breeze. She is now 15 months and has only been sick 3 times.

You'll hear different opinions from everyone on this subject.
    In all honestly, the only rite one is the mothers!

:D
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My intention with my kidlet was to breastfeed but I was not able to produce enough milk (despite being well-endowed - size has nothing to do with production) and no one could get my kidlet to latch on properly either. We did the finger-feeding thing (fed formula through a tube attached to my finger so she wouldn't lose the idea of the breast) while trying to express as much milk as I could /and/ still try and put her on the breast several times a day. It was a 24/7 production until basically I broke down after 6 weeks and decided to go to the bottle and formula. First bottle she settled in happily on my lap and we fed without incident and I finally got to enjoy my kidlet without going nuts.

Today she's a happy, healthy teenager at the top of her class.

I'm all for breastfeeding and I think everyone should try it with the right support (because it often doesn't just happen contrary to what we're led to believe) but I don't think women should be made to feel guilty or like they're harming their baby if they cannot do it.

In the UK, according to the article I read, they were doing this in a very poor area where only one in four women breastfed and they were hoping to increase that by offering 200 pounds in food incentives with it being top loaded (120 in the first six weeks to try and get that base and that 6 weeks that is supposedly most important).