Does it matter?

Options
Hi,
Does it matter what you eat as long as you stick to your calorie allowance every day? Or do you think you need to think about what you're eating as well as calories?
My friend is going on a really strict low carb diet and only eating meat/fish and salad/veg which is great for her and i really hope it works but that kind of diet is too strict for me. I eat bread, low fat crisps and kit kats every day but still remain within my calories. My weight loss is slow so wondered whether I should cut out the 'low calorie' treats too and exchange them for healthier options even though im within my limit? Or does it not make a difference...

Thanks!
Anna :)

Replies

• YouHadMyCuriosity
    YouHadMyCuriosity Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, "a calorie is a calorie", as far as weight loss is concerned. I do know that I feel better and have more energy when I eat well- lots of protein and healthy fats, increasing my intake of produce. However, I strongly believe that the key to getting where you want to be is largely based on lifestyle changes that fit into your lifestyle and motivate you! For example, I love cheese. I know that it is not the best thing for me, but I find ways to incorporate it every day- if I had to cut it out completely, I woudn't want to continue!

Slow weight loss is not a bad thing- you are making changes to your lifestyle. The best "diet" is the one that works for you. I put "diet" in quotation marks because I believe that the biggest part of this journey is making changes that are sustainable- realizing that you are making changes in the way you eat, exercise, and view your body.

Good luck with your journey, my best advice is to find a happy medium that you can sustain :)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    As far as weight loss is concerned it should make no difference. Health wise you could argue that it may be nutritionally better to not eat empty calories but the diet you stick to is the one that will work. I would get terminally bored eating fish and salad every day.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i totally disagree... i think it does make a difference if your calories come from fat (like in the case of kit kats) or from protein (fish/ chicken)
  • ktsaurusrexrawr
    Options
    Do you have your site set up for counting calories, fat, carbs, etc? If you're going too high in sugar from kit kats or junk foods then it would make a difference. My boyfriend always says "As long as you burn more calories than you eat it shouldn't matter" But I've done the same and have had not many results, but now staying under on everything my site says I'm losing my 2lbs a week goal. It may be different for everyone, but maybe you should try to limit yourself and see if your weight loss increases? & If not, go back to doing it this way if it truly doesn't make a difference.