polar FT4 V FT7

Options
2»

Replies

• janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Hello, I just got FT4 last month, its brilliant to see how much calories you have actually burnt, not estimated.

FYI, it's still an estimate...just a better one and a generally better option than relying on a database. At minimum, you'd want to knock off your BMR calories. Also, the further away you get from a steady state cardio activity like running or cycling, the less accurate any HRM is going to be for calorie burn.

Your HR itself doesn't determine your burn...if it did I'd just have someone come and scare the **** out of me every 5 minutes or so...your HR is just used in an algorithm so that the HRM can determine what % of VO2 max you are working at (w/ VO2 Max being that of the average Joe/Jane of similar stats as yourself). Even for steady state cardio I used to knock off about 20% which was basically my BMR calories give or take.

this

I also knock off about 20 percent of the so called calories burned...especially if I really wasn't in zone much....really overestimates..atleast mine does
  • andreaie
    andreaie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all your replys guys I really appreciate all the advice,it looks like the pros out weigh the cons, think I'll go for the ft4 at least it has to be more accurate than an estimate from the treadmill machine :)
    Thanks again
    Andreaie