SparkPeople Article: How Much Protein Do I Really Need?

Options
aakaakaak
aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
I'm not trying to start a war on protein. I'm just putting it out there as an article on the topic. It does go over several different reports. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD please read past page one before commenting on what they say. They're commenting on multiple statements from multiple agencies.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1963

TL;TR:
RDA says 0.8 grams protein per kilogram of body weight for a healthy adult. That is roughly 54 grams daily for a 150-pound female, or 71 grams daily for a 195-pound male.

Acceptable Macronutrient Distribution Range (AMDS) for protein based on one's actual calorie intake, saying that protein should make up 10-35 percent of daily calories for the healthy adult. That is roughly 38-131 grams daily for someone eating 1,500 calories, or 45-158 grams daily when eating 1,800 calories per day.

For endurance athletes: 1.2-1.4 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. That is roughly 82-95 grams daily for a 150-pound female, or 106-124 grams daily for a 195-pound male.

For strength training: up to 1.7 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. That translates to 116 grams daily for a 150-pound female, or 150 grams daily for a 195-pound male.

This isn't my research, right or wrong. I'm just quoting the article.

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,923 Member
    Options
    Yup, that is the canned variety for recommendations. Just keep in mind these are minimums not maximums.....your results may vary.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article. And he's right - read the whole thing. I especially like the info at the end. I like knowing the chemicals of my food since my body uses chemicals to break food down into usable parts. Its always nice to know what I need to eat together for maxium nutrition.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I read it and then I started thinking - where is my protein level set currently? 133 grams of protien per day which seems high for a female according to the article. I'm eating like I'm a guy but I don't lift weights very often at the gym. I've always loved protein though. I would rather eat protein some days than other days. But its got me thinking that perhaps I should lower that just a bit and up my carb level some. When I looked at my reports I tend to eat lower on the protein scale anyways than over it. So perhaps I am naturally regulating myself out to a balance.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I'm 118lbs and my average daily protein range is 45-50 grams a day, which is pretty in line with the current recommendations. Thanks for the article link!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the article. And he's right - read the whole thing. I especially like the info at the end. I like knowing the chemicals of my food since my body uses chemicals to break food down into usable parts. Its always nice to know what I need to eat together for maxium nutrition.
    That just seems so complicated to try to eat foods based on the chemical reaction. I couldn't do that.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have also read this article, and it makes perfect sense to me. It is right in line with guidelines my dietitian has given me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Hmm - I read it and then I started thinking - where is my protein level set currently? 133 grams of protien per day which seems high for a female according to the article. I'm eating like I'm a guy but I don't lift weights very often at the gym. I've always loved protein though. I would rather eat protein some days than other days. But its got me thinking that perhaps I should lower that just a bit and up my carb level some. When I looked at my reports I tend to eat lower on the protein scale anyways than over it. So perhaps I am naturally regulating myself out to a balance.

I don't even know what that means "eating like a guy"

how do guys eat? one bite at a time? the whole thing?

My goal is set at 200- I usually tag around 150-180. I can kill 100 grams of protein before 2 PM and still have 1000 calories to go in my diet. I don't understand how it's physically possible to eat around 50 a day and be functional- I'm a wreck when I am under 50 grams protein a day.

protein is delicious!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

I don't even know what that means "eating like a guy"

how do guys eat? one bite at a time? the whole thing?

My goal is set at 200- I usually tag around 150-180. I can kill 100 grams of protein before 2 PM and still have 1000 calories to go in my diet. I don't understand how it's physically possible to eat around 50 a day and be functional- I'm a wreck when I am under 50 grams protein a day.

protein is delicious!

I think that she's referring to guys who eat lots of protein to bulk up (if that's what they call it).
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    Yes, its called bulking. However, the catch with bulking is that you must exceed your caloric maintenance in order to gain muscle this way. If you consume mass quantities of protein but are still below maintenance you're cutting. Bulking is more about calories.