Cardio & weights

Options
So continuing my battle with trying to loose this weight...fluctuating up and down as I fell off the wagon for a while.
HOWEVER, got my eating plan to a T and I log everything...Unfortunately it seems as though I never actually eat my workout calories...Last week I joined my gym again and have been working out like a Trojan! I mean I leave there soaking wet...I basically do 15 mins treadmill to warm up then rotate days for legs, chest, arms etc..do abs everyday and working out 5 days a week...so I am on week number two and I had lost 4lbs last week. Get on the scale this morning and the 4lbs are back on! How is that possible....It is sooooo depressing when you know how hard your working out!!! Any advice??

Replies

• AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    Advice...read up on TDEE - Total Daily Energy Expenditure and try to get the best barometer for what yours is. From there, scale back the 500 calories or whatever you wish you caloric deficit to be.

Second, get yourself a tape measure and tape your body. Write down the measurements and do so every 3-4 weeks. Track your progress by inches lost rather than by weight lost. This will be your true progress.

Third, stop obsessing about the scale <----This will probably be your biggest obstacle.

Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Water weight retention from the added workout stress. When you start a new workout regimine, or increase/change the intensity of a current one, the body will retain water for muscle repair until the body adapts.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Water weight.

I weigh daily but then plot it up in excel and pay attention to the overall trend, not individual days. I'm up 3 pounds from last week two. Not a big deal.
  • Michelleanon
    Michelleanon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will look into this. I know you say ignore the scale but how can you see results in measurements and still be the same weight? I don't want to say the same weight...lol...
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I will look into this. I know you say ignore the scale but how can you see results in measurements and still be the same weight? I don't want to say the same weight...lol...

Water retention/Muscle Mass retention....

You can get smaller without the scale changing a whole lot by maintaining muscle mass through strength training. Truly, the tape measure is a much better tool for measuring results than the scale, especially when exercising.