You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG)

Options
Anyone out there currently doing any of the programs in YAYOG? I read the book and just started using the APP on my phone. So far I think it is awesome. Just seeing if others are using it and what you think.

Thanks!

Replies

• Altruista75
    Altruista75 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 10 of the beginner program. I like the fact that the workouts are super quick so that I can do them on the weekends when I don't get to the gym! Also, I have had some serious DOMS set in from this program - Great feeling!! I actually keep Mark Lauren up to date with my progress on twitter and he responds back which is always a highlight!! I'm looking forward to the next level. Keep at it!!
  • gngracie
    gngracie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this, but now you have me interested and I'll be checking it out. :-)
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on week 3 of the beginner program (I use the app), so far I like it a lot. It's great because it's pretty quick to do in the morning before work, and I don't have to go anywhere! After this short time I already feel stronger too.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    **oops, duplicate**
  • Altruista75
    Options
    Any of you are welcome to add me if you'd like support for this program...or just support in general! =)
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I love this app, i use it when i don't get a run in or if i want a boost. Its so helpful, i like to set it for the adverts so we jump off the sofa and bust some moves.
  • ithink2020
    ithink2020 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Week 3 tonight. I know that it has only been two weeks, but I can already see a difference in my arms and my wife has commented on my shoulders a couple times. I plan to stick with it, but it might take me a little longer than 10 weeks. Our daughter is due Dec. 2nd. So we'll see how much energy (aka sleep) I will be getting and such. :)

But the think a like about it so far is how short the workouts, but the burn I feel after. Feels like I had worked out a lot longer than 30 minutes!
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I'm also on week 3 of the beginners on the app - and I too already see a difference in my arms - I took pics before starting and after two weeks - I can actually see muscle there!

I know it's supposed to be everyday but I do skip a day here and there - some days I just don't have time or the energy.
  • charlibets
    charlibets Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just started the 10 week program this weekend using the app and I have a few questions.

I've done the first two work outs and I see the third automatically scheduled for the next day (today) and it's an exact repeat of the day 1 work out. Is that what I can expect from the app? Alternating between the two workouts presented for days 1 & 2?

What about the spacing of workouts throughout the week? I thought it was supposed to be 4 days per week...does the app just schedule them 4 days in a row unless I edit that myself?

Is there a core workout mixed in for the 10 week program?

Thanks for any feedback. I like the workout so far.
  • Altruista75
    Options
    The workouts change the further into the program that you go. Also, you can change the days that you do them. Personally, I do them only on the weekends b/c I go to the gym and lift during the week. I actually do 2-3 of the workouts on Saturday and then another 2-3 on Sunday. You get to decide when and how often you do them. It's a suggested 10 week program but if it takes you longer than no big deal.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I just started the 10 week program this weekend using the app and I have a few questions.

I've done the first two work outs and I see the third automatically scheduled for the next day (today) and it's an exact repeat of the day 1 work out. Is that what I can expect from the app? Alternating between the two workouts presented for days 1 & 2?

What about the spacing of workouts throughout the week? I thought it was supposed to be 4 days per week...does the app just schedule them 4 days in a row unless I edit that myself?

Is there a core workout mixed in for the 10 week program?

Thanks for any feedback. I like the workout so far.

Like Altruista75 said, the workouts do vary after a while, but yes, you will generally see some repeats, especially within the various strength / endurance / power blocks. There will be exercises for the core included eventually. I remember doing lots of supermans, "mad russians" (don't know if that's what they're called), V-ups, and the like. But I don't think you're going to see a single workout dedicated to the core, itself.

It's been a while since I really paid any attention to the reminders, but I do think it will default to "scheduling' your next workout for the next day. You should be able to set if and when you want the reminder. Normally, when I was doing the program, I just ignored whatever schedule it might have and simply did the next workout on my next exercise day.

Now that I've got a gym that's in walking distance, I'm actually supplementing this workout by doing YAYOG on Monday / Wednesday / Friday and another PJ/ CCT weight workout in the gym on Tuesday and Thursday. So I completely disrupt the current week-based schedule. But this way I have dates dedicated to non-bodyweight resistance work while enjoying the flexibility of the YAYOG app (a real help, because the gym closes early on Fridays.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    While not currently on the program, I did start out there and found the exercise database to be a HUGE help when I turned to body weight exercises.
  • bmfuhs169
    Options
    I started doing the DVD program. Began with Novice for several weeks, right now I am on Intermediate and it is a butt kicker. I am hoping to be doing the Advanced DVD's within a month or so. Then after I feel I am good with the advanced DVD's I am going to transition into Mark's new EFX program. Can't wait to try that :)
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Just looked this up online-looks great. I am looking at utube videos to get the plan. Is it worth buying the app or videos???
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Just looked this up online-looks great. I am looking at utube videos to get the plan. Is it worth buying the app or videos???
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Used YAYOG as a base to work bodyweight work from and occasionally return to it for a change and to see how my strength has developed.
  • cipote67
    cipote67 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started using it last Nov, the beginner program but got to the point where I must have strained my hamstring and was unable to continue with the leg excersises so I quit the whole thing. It seemed like I was progressing but painfully slow. I have very poor upper body strength so I'm sure I was advancing as fast as my body allowed it after having neglected it for so long. It's a great program though.