Lunges

Options
HELP!!!!!

No matter how many YouTube videos, instructional videos or just watched people do lunges I can't seem to do them right. It always feels awkward, unbalanced and they hurt my knees most of the time. Even when I think I'm doing it right, it doesn't seem to feel like it's doing anything. I can squat all day (not literally lol) with no problem. What are some alternatives to lunges. I am also pretty uncoordinated which I think is the main part of my problem, so some easy movement exercises would be more ideal.

Anyone else have this problem? I feel like a lunge loser :mad:

Replies

• caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of variety in lunges so maybe just try a different version? I feel much more unbalanced when doing forward static lunges but for some reason, the reverse ones are a bit more steady for me so I stick with those. Or maybe walking lunges would be good for you? Not sure how/if you are adding weight but sometimes changing how you do that could help too. When I used to do walking lunges, holding dumbbells wasn't as comfortable for me as holding plates. So basically, try lots of different things and maybe you will find one that works.
  • EricaFaythe
    EricaFaythe Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Be sure your knee doesn't go over your toe. If you're using good form, then your knees could just be adjusting and getting stronger.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    There's a lot of variety in lunges so maybe just try a different version? I feel much more unbalanced when doing forward static lunges but for some reason, the reverse ones are a bit more steady for me so I stick with those. Or maybe walking lunges would be good for you? Not sure how/if you are adding weight but sometimes changing how you do that could help too. When I used to do walking lunges, holding dumbbells wasn't as comfortable for me as holding plates. So basically, try lots of different things and maybe you will find one that works.

Yep, the forward ones are the devil lol!!! I can kinda do the walking ones. I haven't even tried adding weight since I would probably be a total fail lol. I will try some other kinds as well and see if there is one I can do.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Be sure your knee doesn't go over your toe. If you're using good form, then your knees could just be adjusting and getting stronger.

My knees are probably weak so maybe that does have something to do with it. I am really focusing on keeping my knee from going over my toe which makes me concentrate so hard that I think I am not relaxing enough to do the move fluidly (if that makes any sense)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Go with split squats - they are a beginner's lunge:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSplitSquat.html
    Keep your knee behind the first shoelace hole - unlike what he's doing.

When you're ready to try lunges again, wear shoes with a low heel, like Keds or Converse.. or even go barefoot. Most shoes have a raised heel, which makes lunging more difficult.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My knees are probably weak so maybe that does have something to do with it. I am really focusing on keeping my knee from going over my toe which makes me concentrate so hard that I think I am not relaxing enough to do the move fluidly (if that makes any sense)

If you're having issues with your knees going over your toes, try doing Reverse Lunges. Also, there is no shame in holding onto something to start if you're unstable. By stepping back, it's easier to keep your knees in the correct position. Make sure your upper half is straight throughout the whole movement (think "Chest Up")
  • AprilMae1975
    Options

If you're having issues with your knees going over your toes, try doing Reverse Lunges. Also, there is no shame in holding onto something to start if you're unstable. By stepping back, it's easier to keep your knees in the correct position. Make sure your upper half is straight throughout the whole movement (think "Chest Up")

Thanks for the tip...I never thought of holding on to something.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    Go with split squats - they are a beginner's lunge:
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSplitSquat.html
    Keep your knee behind the first shoelace hole - unlike what he's doing.

When you're ready to try lunges again, wear shoes with a low heel, like Keds or Converse.. or even go barefoot. Most shoes have a raised heel, which makes lunging more difficult.

I will check this out!! Thanks so much :)
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure your feet do not end up right in front of each other. They should be separated as if you were standing. This can also help with stability. Good luck!