Mother lost her sight!

Options
I know you guys dont mean to be negative...but i need some advice. My independant, intelligent mother lost her sight 14 months ago. Following that ... 3 strokes.... major heart attack. Needs a triple bypass. Wont have it done due to losing sight. Its made me ill. i really wanna make things better....n but cant get her sight back. Im in pain every day just hoping that she 'may' become one of those amazing people who find contentment and happiness with no sight. shes nowhere near yet. any advice from othrrs who have and are helping a loved one in turmoil? I feel lost! xxx

Replies

• funkie76
    funkie76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    sorry..nn i meant.... you guys dont 'need' negative! not mean. xx
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Support groups or counseling would be my best advise.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,001 Member
    Options
    This is so tough on her and you. It can take a while for someone to adjust to a loss like that, and she's had all these other issues on top of it in just over a year. I only have two suggestions:

(1) try to find ways to give her experiences that bring her happiness so that she realizes that life still has value for her (what those are really depend on who she is, but examples might be visits with grandchildren, old friends, relatives; treating her to her favorite foods; taking her to concerts; look into setting up her television so it will play the second audio track with description of visual information, that is, what people in the program are doing, where they are, etc., if that's available where you live; activate or install audio accessibility software on her computer, which reads the screen contents and tells her where her mouse is);

(2) look into support groups and support services for caregivers, because you need support too (and some of the people there may have suggestions for how to encourage your mother to find value in her life as it is now.

Best of luck, and I'm sorry life is hitting your family so hard right now.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do is be supportive & ask others around to be supportive (cook, bring food, help clean up the house, get her into hobbies, church, etc). Being with family & friends will help boost her spirits a lot.
  • funkie76
    funkie76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. My mum has gone into a care home for the blind on a temp basis. Hopefully she will respond well to learning new skills. Due to the depression... She has little interest in audio equipment ect at the mo'. One day at a time. t. We just have to stay strong. Xxx
  • roxylola
    roxylola Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    audio books if she was a reader. You might have to trick her though. Maybe if you take her for a drive in your car and have an audio book playing or something.