true weight?

I moved to college at the end of august and i've "gained" about 3.5 lbs. I've started to lift weights and my calorie intake increased so i know some of the weight increase has been due to muscle, but i have also been eating at a calorie deficiency so that I should technically losing weight. I don't eat a lot of fried fatty foods, but I am definitely a volume eater and I fill up with a lot of water-heavy foods like fresh fruits and veggies, and lean proteins. my theory is that if i'm always filling up with volume-heavy foods, i will always have a larger amount of food being processed at a given time (aka before i poop!). So will my true weight be affected by this? I know the scale doesn't really tell you a lot besides pure weight, but i would like to know how I can measure my progress. my waist and hip measurements haven't really changed either.

Replies

• Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    I moved to college at the end of august and i've "gained" about 3.5 lbs. I've started to lift weights and my calorie intake increased so i know some of the weight increase has been due to muscle, but i have also been eating at a calorie deficiency so that I should technically losing weight. I don't eat a lot of fried fatty foods, but I am definitely a volume eater and I fill up with a lot of water-heavy foods like fresh fruits and veggies, and lean proteins. my theory is that if i'm always filling up with volume-heavy foods, i will always have a larger amount of food being processed at a given time (aka before i poop!). So will my true weight be affected by this? I know the scale doesn't really tell you a lot besides pure weight, but i would like to know how I can measure my progress. my waist and hip measurements haven't really changed either.

Nowhere in this do I see any indicator that you are tracking your calories in and calories out. You must really think people put on muscle weight very quickly. Spoiler alert: they don't. You admit that you've increased your calorie intake, but claim you're eating at a calorie "deficiency", but we're not seeing any numbers, and you seem pretty casual about the numbers. So no, it's not "food volume", you're gaining weight. If you were in a calorie DEFICIT, you'd lose weight, and you'd know that because the number on the scale would be decreasing, rather than increasing. Your math is wrong. If you want to lose weight, you'll have to actually quantify your variables in your equation, rather than just guess.
  • foodie178
    foodie178 Posts: 47 Member
    actually, i have been tracking my calories for over a year. I am set at a daily net of 1350 but with my daily activity i will end up eating anywhere from 1800-2000 total. my carb intake percentage is around 50% daily and fats and proteins vary from 20-30%.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    actually, i have been tracking my calories for over a year. I am set at a daily net of 1350 but with my daily activity i will end up eating anywhere from 1800-2000 total. my carb intake percentage is around 50% daily and fats and proteins vary from 20-30%.

And you're certain your daily activity burns this many calories…how, exactly?
  • StarmakerK
    StarmakerK Posts: 11 Member
    Ok, in an effort to provide a more helpful response, I looked at your food & exercise diary.

One thing I notice is that your Fitbit seems to be crediting back an awful lot of calories -- 600-800 per day. I don't have a Fitbit so I'm not sure exactly how it works, but Is it possible that it's overstating -- e.g. settings are wrong or it's just systematically off (like most HRMs and cardio machines are)? I know many people on MFP eat back only a portion of their exercise calories to try to combat this.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    I doubt...quite a bit, that much...if any of your weight gain is added muscle mass....since you are a female and state you are in a caloric deficit, your measurements should have changed.

I agree with Star, it sounds like you're closer to maintenance/surplus.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    I doubt...quite a bit, that much...if any of your weight gain is added muscle mass....since you are a female and state you are in a caloric deficit, your measurements should have changed.

I agree with Star, it sounds like you're closer to maintenance/surplus.
    QFT, it's not that easy to build muscle, let alone accidentally.
  • foodie178
    foodie178 Posts: 47 Member
    I'm walking 5+ miles daily plus volleyball, weight lifting, or running. I have my fitbit on 24/7, which is why I figure I'm getting pretty accurate measurements. but the theory that I'm eating at maintenance/surplus makes the most sense, so thank you!
  • Yes you're probably eating at maintenance-- estimated burns are extremely inaccurate. My suggestion is to cut your calories down to 1500-1600 intake (not net) and be strict with it.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    I do eat a lot of food volume (I admit to 2lbs+ salads :blushing:) and whilst it does sometimes affect day-to-day measurements, my general weight trend is downwards. Most people do carry around quite a bit of bio matter in their bowels at any given time, so I don't think it has that much influence over time.