Almond Milk

Options
13»

Replies

• toffee322
    toffee322 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    i like almond milk, it tastes good and it's healthy and low in calories. it's also plant based, if you care about that (for vegetarian/vegan). i like soy milk too.
  • _silverr21
    Options
    I started drinking it as a replacement for soy milk about 3 years ago. I likes soy milk, but never loved it, and wanted something lighter. I have loved almond ever since. I add it to smoothies, chai tea, oatmeal occasionally, etc.
    Lately, since I'm living away from home for school, I've been buying Black Diamond Unsweetened Original. At home I make my own. It's great to make your own and blend in a bit of cinnamon or blueberries (my fav choices).
    Nutritionally its lower in calories and higher in calcium than cow's milk, but lower in protein. I personally don't mind, since the protein always adds up from all the different sources, and I would rather have quality protein.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,005 Member
    Options
    I'm having Lindt milk choclate with almonds right now........does that count.:smile:
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I prefer it to cow's milk.

I like the generic brand, it's more "neutral" tasting than Blue Diamond which tastes like almonds, and it doesn't have carrageenan.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I personally love it. Better than cow milk, or other milk subs. I really only like Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Unsweetened Original or Vanilla, though. Didn't like Silk. Too sweet & not as creamy if you ask me. Plus the one I like is only 40 calories per cup!
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweetened on my oatmeal every morning :^), but I don't like it in coffee :^(. I've also used it successfully in baking!
  • paddgirl21
    paddgirl21 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love the unsweetened stuff. I have been drinking it with things (not on it's own) for about 4 months now. During this time we ran out of it and I had to drink regular milk with my smoothie and with my cereal AND BOY DID I MISS MY ALMOND MILK. The unsweetened stuff allows me to ENJOY the food it is with and not overpower it like milk does. I finally found this out after not drinking milk for awhile then having to drink it for a day. I was just glad to get back to my almond milk. It stays in the fridge longer too! :)
  • ChuckgM3
    ChuckgM3 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I used to love Almond milk for the low cals and the taste, but recently I have started paying closer attention to my % of carbs, fat, and protein rather than just calorie intake and I realized almonds somehow lose all of their protein when turned into milk.

1% Cow milk: 110cals, 2.5g fat, 8g protein
    Almond milk: 60 cals, 2.5g fat, 1g protein

For me the reduced calories aren't worth the loss of protein. I think Soy is probably better but it doesn't taste as good IMHO.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    why not mix it up there are good things you cant get in dairy milk and vice versa. Variety is always the spice of life.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Nutritionally much different than milk. But nothing inherently wrong with it. It is what it is.
  • l_mang
    Options
    I love almond milk! I used to buy it but now I make my own. It's so easy and doesn't have any additives.
    I also think it tastes great and I struggle to drink cows milk with cereal now! I do still have cows milk in coffee but don't mind almond milk in tea.
    For me, I wanted to reduce my dairy consumption which is why I started drinking almond milk plus it's way lower in calories.

Here's an article full of comparison:
    http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/nutrition/nutrition+tips/which+milk+is+best+for+your,16541
  • katrinajMiles
    katrinajMiles Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Cows milk has more protein.

I drink Almond and soy because I have become lactose intolerant. I find almond milk has less calories and I put it in shakes and have with cereal. But if I'm going to have a coffee I use soy milk and if i want a creamy porridge I have soy in that as well.

Think it's all personal taste but if you're looking for a low cal option and you like the taste why not.

Here is an article my gym did about choosing the right milk: http://www.fernwoodfitness.com.au/Weight-Loss---Exercise/Recipes---Nutrition/All-Nutrition-Articles/Choosing-the-right-milk-for-you/
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with actual dairy (cow, sheep, goat, etc.) milk, just make sure it's antibiotic and hormone free, ... unless you have a casein allergy, of course ... Store bought almond milk contains starches and gums, in order to make the texture thicker, and it's only really nutritional value comes from the stuff it's fortified with ... Just because a food is low in calories, doesn't necessarily make it a healthier option ... And for all of you "clean eaters", those of you that wish to consume the most minimally processed foods: Milk straight from an animal is way less processed than store-bought pseudo-milk products ... Someone also posted that almond milk has less sugar than cow's milk ... Uh, the sugar in real dairy milk is natural sugar in the for of lactose ... Worring about the sugar in plain milk, is like worrying about the sugar in a carrot ... POINTLESS!
  • ujjz
    ujjz Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with actual dairy (cow, sheep, goat, etc.) milk, just make sure it's antibiotic and hormone free, ... unless you have a casein allergy, of course ...
    I think so many people drink it because they object to factory farming.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Although on its own almond milk has very little calcium, a lot of commercial brands have added calcium. If you are drinking calcium-fortified almond milk, be sure to shake up to container before you pour, because the calcium tends to settle at the bottom.
  • monisiaczeq
    monisiaczeq Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    so i gave it a go this morning with my porridge! LOVED IT! the texture was so much... hmmm smoother i would say!
    thank you all for all the replies! really appreciate this! cant wait for breakfast tomorrow so that i can have some more!! haha :)
    next on the list to try is the vanilla unsweetened almond milk! everybody seems to be loving it! so def want to give it a try too!